Bugs/Issues & Hotfixes for SR V3

Demivrgvs

Secret Word

Secret Word will be blocked by (m)GoI if it is targeted near enemy mage. However, if it is directly targeted at the mage, (m)GoI will be dispelled. If there is no (m)GoI, then the 5' AoE functions well.
OMG! I don't get it...it's not even considered a 4th lvl spell within SR as it should work just like Dispel (power level set to 0), how the hell can it be stopped by (M)GoI?!? I'll look into it as soon as possible (which may be not so soon).

Secret Word's school is wrongly set to abjuration, though its description says enchantment.
Strange, will fix.

Spell Shield

There's no scroll for the 5th level spell "Wizard Spell Shield" (vanilla scroll is now used for the 8th level spell "Spell Shield", i.e. greater globe of invulnerability). Some can be added to stores that sell lvl 8 scrolls.

PS: Imo the names "Wizard Spell Shield" and "Spell Shield" are somewhat confusing. How about call them "Spell Shield" and "Greater Globe of Invulnerability" respectively?

Actually the 5th level version should not be available at all!!

I renamed it only because before Taimon's patch disabled spells still filled a slot (in this case making Sunfire not available to sorcerers). I can revert such change, but considering V4 may finally fix Spell Shield it will probably be a quite different story.

Edit: Mercurier, how did you get Wizard Spell Shield? I "removed" the scroll on purpose and it should not appear on sorcerer's spell selection screen.

Mercurier, I edited my last post as your issue with Spell Shield should actually not exist. Did you installed the component to hide unused/moved spells?

Magic resistance is effective against Sunfire, either the spell or the description needs to be updated.
I don't understand...in my install the description is correct but the shipped tra still reports the "ignore magic resistance" thing. ??? Magic resistance should indeed work against it with SR (as per PnP/IWD).

Sphere of Chaos currently is using hold creature III, which is not protected by Free Action
Good catch.

Actually I didn't get Wizard Spell Shield, so I tried to find out how can I get one, and you tell me it is supposed to be unavailable... ??? There's no problem with Taimon's exe patch.

Sphere of Chaos

Should Chaotic Command protect characters from the berserk effect?

It seems that if some spell has the "Spell cast on condition" effect (#232), then the wild surge for this spell always results in "spell cast normally". This affects at least SR's reflected image (casts smth when hit), sleep (casts "cure sleep" on hit), and fire/cold shields. When using nahal's dweomers, these spells are always cast normally.

Spell Shield

Actually I didn't get Wizard Spell Shield, so I tried to find out how can I get one, and you tell me it is supposed to be unavailable... :p There's no problem with Taimon's exe patch.
Then there's no issue at all, good.

Sphere of Chaos

Should Chaotic Command protect characters from the berserk effect?
Well, in PnP Chaotic Commands is quite limited (works only against command-like spells), as you may notice looking at how it works within Divine Remix, but we may add such feature within SR (where it actually works almost like Mind Blank). I'd probably go with a "protection from spell: SoC" rather then "immunity to berserk opcode" because the latter may interfere with some things (e.g. I'm not sure CC should allow a character to wield a Berserking Sword without going berserk).

Protection from Fire

Protection from Fire, Aura of Flaming Death and similar spells doesn't protect form Flame Arrow: they should grant immunity against spwi303e, not spwi303f.
Nice catch. I've fixed Protection from Fire (arcane & divine), Protection from the Elements, Protection from Energy, and Aura of Flaming Death.

Breach

Breach don't work against liches in my game. I don't understand, I also have installed SCS More consistent Breach spell component. O_o
It's the intended behaviour within SR, if you prefer SCS version try commenting SR's Breach out when installing SR.

Wild Surges

It seems that if some spell has the "Spell cast on condition" effect (#232), then the wild surge for this spell always results in "spell cast normally". This affects at least SR's reflected image (casts smth when hit), sleep (casts "cure sleep" on hit), and fire/cold shields. When using nahal's dweomers, these spells are always cast normally.
It's great to see we can always discover new annoying engine related issues... I don't know what to say about this. If it's true I don't think I can do anything about it as it's probably hardcoded, and I can't remove "cast spell on condition" effects from all spells to "fix" it. ???

Some created "items" shouldn't do physical damage, but occasionaly they do. E.g. Chill Touch, Ghoul Touch, Phantom Blade, Black Blade of Disaster (only magic damage/effects are mentioned in description, except for BBoD - it just says 2d12). Just start pummeling some magic resistant monster (gray ooze from Nashkel mines) - it receives 4 damage and then displays "magic resistance" string (when the magic part of hit effect tries to work and doesn't have BypassResistance flag set).

These items have 0d0+0 damage set in abilities, but damage type is piercing (or slashing for blades) and it seems that when damage type is not 0 (none) - the engine very often (but not 100%) applies 4 physical damage of corresponding type before other effects.

And BBoD doesn't set THAC0 to 0 (as per description).

(edit: added BBoD)

Some created "items" shouldn't do physical damage, but occasionaly they do. E.g. Chill Touch, Ghoul Touch, Phantom Blade, Black Blade of Disaster (only magic damage/effects are mentioned in description, except for BBoD - it just says 2d12). Just start pummeling some magic resistant monster (gray ooze from Nashkel mines) - it receives 4 damage and then displays "magic resistance" string (when the magic part of hit effect tries to work and doesn't have BypassResistance flag set).

These items have 0d0+0 damage set in abilities, but damage type is piercing (or slashing for blades) and it seems that when damage type is not 0 (none) - the engine very often (but not 100%) applies 4 physical damage of corresponding type before other effects.

Interesting, I suppose these spells have almost never been used (I still have to find a good solution to make them really appealing) and that's why I never heard of this strange issue. I can fix it in a second.

And BBoD doesn't set THAC0 to 0 (as per description).
Fixed.

I'll test a little the above mentioned issue before uploading the hotfixes.

P.S Fixing these things don't require to re-install. For example copying the fixed blakblad.itm file into the override folder is the only thing you need to do to fix BBoD.

Breach
Breach don't work against liches in my game. I don't understand, I also have installed SCS More consistent Breach spell component. O_o
It's the intended behaviour within SR, if you prefer SCS version try commenting SR's Breach out when installing SR.
Yeah, but you could also make WeiDU make a backup from the spells before you overwrite them.

Breach

Yeah, but you could also make WeiDU make a backup from the spells before you overwrite them.
? You mean the backup folder (spell_rev\backup) where SR stores every single file before overwriting them? ???

If that's useful, I bet the behavior is caused by the +4 to hit/to damage bonus when the defender is unharmed or have a ranged weapon equipped. That's why the damage is always fixed to 4 (it becomes 0d0+0 +4 bonus, thus always 4).

If that's useful, I bet the behavior is caused by the +4 to hit/to damage bonus when the defender is unharmed or have a ranged weapon equipped. That's why the damage is always fixed to 4 (it becomes 0d0+0 +4 bonus, thus always 4).

Spot-on... Gray oozes have ranged attacks (but DW#MELEE script). And when hitting kobolds on the same map, the 4 phys. damage appears, when they have bows equipped, and dissapears, when they start poking with short sword.

Breach
? You mean the backup folder (spell_rev\backup) where SR stores every single file before overwriting them? ???
Into the 0 sub folder yes. On my install, there are 13 .spl spell files there, and few other files, not around 1000 spells that the game holds. Link to my BWS:ed spell_rev backup folder.

PS: The WeiDU.log, if you are interested.

The reason why the .spl 's aren't in the backup/0/ folder is that you aren't modifying the spells, you overwrote them with your own already modified .spl files, well primarily.

Archived