Suggestion - Items can only be fenced once -or- no stealing from fences.

Guest Guest_Xelios_*

Guest Guest_Xelios_*

So I didn't see this idea in the tweak pack, but it's something which has always bothered me. You can drink some thievery potions and sell items to a fence, steal them back, and sell them to him again ad nauseam until you have the amount of money you want (i.e. buy everything in the game early on.)

Just knowing I can do this kinda ruins it for me, so it'd be nice if there was an option where stolen items could only be fenced once, or easier still would be an option to not allow stealing from a fence, so anything sold to a fence would have to be bought back.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could sneak this option in. Thanks!

Guest Guest_Xelios_*

Someone trained in the art of thievery and experienced in buying stolen goods wouldn't notice after the 100th time you sold them their own item? ??? The option seems reasonable enough for consideration as it's basically (although subjective) a glitch being that you can have infinite money from the beginning of the game. Also, several other options have been included in the past where self control would have been just as effective, so thanks for the quote but it really doesn't apply.

Guest Guest_Xelios_*

Sorry, an exploit not a glitch. Kind of like:

Captain Arat Gives Infinite Fire Arrows

Prior to clearing out the de'Arnise Keep, Captain Arat would give the party a quiver of fire arrows every time the party speaks with him. This exploit is now closed.

Self control certainly would have been just as much of a fix here, but someone still acted as "the police."

So I didn't see this idea in the tweak pack, but it's something which has always bothered me. You can drink some thievery potions and sell items to a fence, steal them back, and sell them to him again ad nauseam until you have the amount of money you want (i.e. buy everything in the game early on.)

The Revised Thievery component of Rogue Rebalancing prevents stealing from fences which effectively eliminates this exploit. From the readme:

This component will slightly revise the thievery aspect of the game. Firstly, it will allow all merchants whose dialogue implies that their wares are stolen to buy fenced goods. Secondly, it will prevent PC thieves from stealing from any merchants who can buy fenced goods in order to fix the "steal item from merchant > sell stolen item to the same merchant > repeat for infinite money" exploit.

However, that component does other things as well, so check the readme and see if it's to your liking

Archived