GemRB needs a logo

lynx

Hi, the GemRB project needs a logo for greater recognizability and website use. We'd appreciate if an artist or three helped us with this.

How do you make a logo for something you can't even pronounce? ??? I don't know, but it doesn't have to be tied to the name. You can do whatever you want. :p The only requirement is that the resulting art is freely redistributable, so a cropped screenshot of some original game data (let's say of a spell icon) would not work.

You get bonus points if the result scales well, so it (or part of it) can be used for the favicon, for banners and other branding emedia.

Thanks.

Yeah, the second one is pretty useless for a logo, it is more like a wallpaper. Thanks anyway, I'll put it under the fanart section of the gallery.

VampyreLord: yours is better as it scales pretty well. The dragon (right?) head becomes just a black blob when downscaling too much, but the overall image is preserved. Good job! :blush:

VampyreLord: yours is better as it scales pretty well. The dragon (right?) head becomes just a black blob when downscaling too much, but the overall image is preserved.
Sorry, but that looks a lot like the head of a wild boar, not a dragon. :blush:

And remember that you should remove the white background before you scale it down, so the extrabits won't show up.

Here's a quickie I made in Illustrator. I have no idea how to shade a gemstone realistically, or anything else for that matter, but it'll do for my contribution. It can probably be converted to SVG for editing in Inkscape or any other vector program if you prefer not using Illustrator.

Gem.png

The brilliantlike one does very well at small scales, but the shield is more indicative of our project (the gem in the name is a coincidence). Maybe it would look better at 32px with a thicker border or wider gold plating. It doesn't have to be the exactly same image, the bigger versions are great.

This is hard. :)

The brilliantlike one does very well at small scales, but the shield is more indicative of our project (the gem in the name is a coincidence). Maybe it would look better at 32px with a thicker border or wider gold plating. It doesn't have to be the exactly same image, the bigger versions are great.

This is hard. :)

A coincidence, yes, but one that magically lends itself to a nice association. I later also got the idea of interpreting R and B as red and blue (a backronym, if you will), either making two stones of those colours, or a two-coloured one. The boar shield is great and could definitely be adapted to smaller sizes with clearer lines and possibly removing the boar head.

One thing to keep in mind is that Windows Vista and 7 supports icons up to at least 256x256, and Mac OS 10.5 and 10.6 up to at least 512x512 (that's larger than the whole screen area of the first Macintosh models!), neither of which are used a lot but may be nice to have in some viewing modes (cover flow & quick look on OS X, and "extra large icons" on Windows), I don't know what icon sizes KDE can make use of but it seems Gnome can display at least 128x128 (I didn't do exact measurements, but that's what its 400% size looks like, and it seems reasonable to assume that 100% is 32x32).

I was browsing randomly on the internet and came upon the GemRB homepage which said a logo was needed, and since I had nothing to do, I figured I might as well pitch in.

I'm a big fan of "continuous" logos where letters and items flow together, so I whipped this thing up. It's a pretty clean logo with a ruby in the whitespace of the 'b', but also a red square in the intersecting lines of the 'g' to draw attention to the left (to make sure people actually catch the whole logo).

logo_05.png

And here is a cropped version that can be used for icons and other things that need a quadratic-ish format. I get this strong feeling of having seen this shape before, but I can't put my finger on it, though, so I'm sorry if it means something rude :p

logo_03.png

This is how it looks at 32x32 pixels.

tinylogo.png

The colour can be changed easily, of course, but I think red says "hey, look at me" in a way no other colour does.

So, yeah, that's my little contribution, hope somebody likes it :)

Archived