Domi

When are you going to play Dragon Age?

Your husband rocks. Now *that* is a true vacation. And inexpensive, too... no airfare, no taxis, no hotel, thus cash for games, and actually enjoying yourself. Just one hint from a fellow attemptor of this kind of vacation - lock up the tools in someone else's garage, put all the 'to-do' lists in a bottom desk drawer, turn off the telephone, and make sure you plan that you will pretend you are in a vacation rental. No home repairs, cleanup, finances, or (what we ended up doing) repainting projects... ???

"I am a woman, but I can change.

If I have to... I guess."

Luckily, our new house is awsome and the only project needs doing is developping space in the furnace room to build a bathroom + moving washer and drier to open up the mudroom. All of which is definetly NOT a do-it-yourself, so we are safe!

Considering my significant other is already an enormous fan of the game (I swear she spends half her day on the forums), I've already got it pre-ordered.

Personally, I hope the marketing person for the game simply screwed up badly, and that they're going to live up to the whole "spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate" thing, rather than the Marilyn Mansoned trailers.

shitty RPGs with their shitty bugs and their shitty typos and all the shitty mods that you have to juggle

???

You left out the most important part.

"shitty Hungarians with their shitty swindling money-making scams through shitty download mirrors and shitty no-skilled jokers that call themselves "distinguished developers" laughatyouhk1.gif with their shitty insecurities hiding inside that Big Black Wyrm's shitty rectum ready to abuse their shitty admin privileges unless the post involves glorifying this shitty anvil that is supposedly 'improved' and sniffing their own shitty scrotums and fondling each other's shitty testicles..."

Anyway, let me play the role of the neutralizer and just say,

I hope all these new games that y'all are anxiously waiting for turn out to be huge disappointments. You're all too old to be playing games! :p

Act your age, devSin! :D

From what I hear the game is phenomenal. And from what I hear, the NPCs are awesome. I'm so tortured. On the one hand, I really need to save my money and get my brakes fixed. On the other hand, I really want this game.

[sigh]

Why has it always got to be hard choices?

Go for the brakes, way, way more important. :blush: Anyway the game price will probably become more fluid before long. At least that's what I'm hoping as I still need to buy the parts and build a rig that can run it. (Relying on inherited computers for my last *cough* upgrades is not going to cut it this time I think)

Also, last I looked, the toolset hasn't even been released yet and the social site is a tad problematic.

Edit - Of course, this means it will be a little while before I will be playing Dragon Age.

Edited by KIrving

I will play the moment it has decrypted....

Icen

Like many I'd need a new computer, but even then If not I'd be waiting for a few years to see what people thought of it before spending the time and money on it.

Mwahaha. It almost works fine. On Linux. Just need to get this irritating graphics issue sorted out...

So, in a week or two. :blush:

OK, I lied. I didn't mean to, but...

NOTE TO FELLOW MODDERS: DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. YET.

My computer is in the shop. So I am borrowing my brother's laptop. 4.8 Win-Dex score, so the graphics are below minimum for DA:O. I know he has a better machine at home, so I swung by BestBuy and picked up a copy to give him as thanks and rental for his laptop, and then it sat on the counter, staring at me, daring me, saying "wouldn't you like a little peek - you do not want to catch up on Quicken entries, you know you wanna just play - come on, it won't hurt you"...

and I installed it. Conference Day Thursday, so at about 2pm. Thinking to myself, "Hey, myself, it will not run on this laptop anyway - perhaps the character creation might run. Turn all the graphics way way down, expect some crashes, and if you are lucky you might see a little glimpse before it hoses itself."

At 7pm, the dogs were nudging me, reminding me that my wife was on her way to a museum conference, and they had not yet been walked or fed.

At 11:30pm, they nudged me again, gently reminding me that while they had been walked and fed, it was bedtime.

At 2:30am, with two dogs sleeping on my feet under the desk, my dinner having consisted of a quarter of a box of saltines and five cans of diet coke, my wife calls from the conference to leave a message saying the flight was fine and she was fine, and when I get this message I should call her, but she doesn't want to wake me... and she (quite rightly) refused to get off of the phone until I was in bed.

Holy crap. They did it right. I am hooked. And that is with the "vanilla warrior" dude - with each of the origins to play having different types of responses, i am going to be hooked for a long, long time.

Modder itches that need scratching through updates and fixpacks so far include somewhat limited dialog options compared to modded BG2, but compared to almost everything else on the market, there are plenty. I want more, because I am spoiled by BG2, so I want the option that says "Father, I am full grown. Do not call me 'Pup' in front of your friends, please. I will be running this place someday, and you are embarassing me.". The graphics that will allow things to run on an integrated graphics chip on a notebook computer are completely crappy; I will have a better sense of what is possible there when I have my OD'd monster rig back and can crank the settings up. I want the CGI folks to have hired AlienSlof or some of the other Morrowind or Oblivion body artists, but again, short of the Taleworlds character creator, this is the most inventive. Once again in CRPG-land, a female has a top that leaves absolutely nothing to the imagination (in the good way, where having a small amount of clothing is infinitely more sexy thanm having no clothing at all), but when she takes her clothes off she magically grows decidedly non-sexy Sears underwear (might as well put those USN-issue "birth control eyeglasses" on). Dudes don't even get a chance to ask "boxers or briefs", though I think they fare better and look better than the females. That will be a PITA for romance stuff, because if you have a game that has bloodspatter worthy of Night of the Living Dead, you would expect the requisite horror pron shot, where someone is getting all hot and heavy just before the knife descends from offscreen. I still wish they would steal good talent from the modding world and use them to tweak before release, but I suppose having soft pron on your computer might make even an M rated game a liability to a US audience. It is better than a smiley face, like in JA2, or the GTA screenshots I have seen, but frankly, not by mutch. Oblivion unmodded actually does better, even with the stupid looking undies. The GUI is ok, and does not feel completely bastardized for the PS3/X-Box crowd, but some things are going to take me a bit to get used to, including a joint party inventory pool - not sure I like it, but there have been other games that have pulled it off - we will see. At 800x600, there really are only 3 dialog responses or perhaps 4 that can fit on the screen. Have I mentioned that I am not a big fan of console gaming driving/limiting creative? It sux. In the bad way. I will have to look at the toolset to see if some of this can be messed with. I am ok with the lack of resurrection in favor of 'fall down for the remainder of combat and then wake up with injuries that decrease stats' - it isn't D&D. I think that is growing on me. But this last is probably just me.

Moder itches that are good things for the developers to hear - I began to realize that if I ever wanted to add anything to this game, I need a real voice actor. Equity card NOT optional. The sound, the voicing, just.... bloody perfect. The mood setting soundtrack - holy cow. And I completely love the origins - from a story-telling standpoint, you can account for everything a character can become in every direction, because there is no switching of class - it is a dose of freedom to be able to look at each origin and then build forward from a well-thought out rationale - you can build for PC personalities, not for PC classes! In a case of "crap, they did too good a job", the NPCs I have run into are all reasonably balanced, and the dialog choices are adult in the sense that rational adult thought, cynical as well as optimistic viewpoints, and subjective moriality are accounted for. They talk like adults. Actually, like educated adults who can have a conversation. They feel like they have motivations, other than "Hey, I am Plot Device #127, here to be slaughtered in order to prove a point and open a new dialog option". I like a conversation that is witty, and speaks a direct point of view. So far, I have found it. If a modder wants to expand existing content or create a new NPC, this game is not going to be forgiving of Half-God/Half Demon "I Am The Focus Of The Story" creations - this game is putting creative artists on notice, saying "if you want to play with the big dogs, get your act together and step up your game. We didn't come here to F*** around." (God, I want to hear Morrigan's voice actress record that line...)

Speaking of big dogs, did I mention there is a dog?

One who has a personaility, grows, and is about to have a plot point/effect on my game? Who has "banter" with some of the NPCs? Who has immediate identification with the Human Noble story, so that I spent the first whole "chapter" worrying about him, and saying to myself "If they do an insta-kill-via-cutscene on this guy, I am returning this game and never, ever playing it again"... only to find that he completely ruled the battlefield, when you used good Roman tactics (work as a team, approach on both sides for flanking, use his abilities in conjunction with yours, the way men and dogs have worked for centuries). And no big spoilers here, but so far the only scripted kills have had purpose and meaning, a good setup beforehand so you know who is there and why it hurts to see them killed. And for the first time since my first Tutu run with BG1NPC where Dynaheir was toasted by Bassilus and I went frickin' Midaevil on his ass and then slapped the side of my monitor so hard it hurt my palm, it actually hurt to see someone toasted out, even though the setup was so broad that you could actually say what the next scene was going to include. Storytelling that says "hey, we are headed in this direction" and then *still* makes you go "damn. I wanted that not to happen - now I am going to have to play until I get my sweet, sweet, very bloody, very violent revenge." I am going to have a big problem - I am not dropping my dog from the party for any chick NPC, no matter how hawt or what body mod ever gets produced. That would just be wrong. You do not drop your best friend for that wild sexy little templar, no matter how many Hail Mary's just thinking about her gets you. So I am going to have to play this game a million times, because so far, I do not want to drop anybody.

The gameplay:

The storyline hit hard, fast, and made me want to replay sections just to see if other roleplaying responses resulted in different outcomes (they did. Looping Lovetalk Technique got a workoiut, because you are on a single Origin story, but after the first few the divergences opened up, and influence looks implemented in a good way). I had to turn the difficulty down to normal after being completely pwned right out of the gate. The AI is very easy to customize, and does a reasonable job of avoiding sniper tactics that could kill a game. I am not far enough in to tell whether the bigger, badder monsters are better scripted, or if we are going to have to get DavidW a free copy and get him hooked, but I will say this - facing big monsters calls for some very different tactics. I have decided that I do not like being the sacrificial paladin-type, racing the Ogre and attempting a shield-bash. Apparently, it just pisses them off, and they pick you up, and throw you across the room, swiping the other three party members over with their other hand... when the hell did CRPG monsters start actually behaving like monsters? And this is on "normal"? It is back to the first time my Pally wandered into Fircaag's lair, talked alot of crap, and promptly lost his (and the entire party's) life, because a dragon knows spells, and has big wings, and isn't afraid to use either of 'em.

Some of the gameplay feels like an upgraded, better version of NWN2 (though really that is not fair. It is comparing a decent BMW to a Lotus, really.) Certainly more immersive out of the box. But NWN, NWN2, Morrowind, Oblivion - all felt nice enough, but I had long term immersion troubles. Until they were modded, they felt flat (and Oblivion... well, let's just say it. NWN and Oblivion never left Flatland for me). Perhaps their stories just did not catch me and hold me the way BG/BG2 did (I don't play ToB much because the story just doesn't resonate as well as the other parts of the series) - the Origins change the whole equation by setting you up to actually care about the storyline. Which (so far) has alternately had me yelling "YES!!!" at the computer, then "NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!".

OK it is taking me too long to type all this out. And I am in the first flush of enjoyment, so i suspect the same critical eye that first drew me to BG2 and Domi's work will get going again, and I will probably back off on the lovefest when i have had more of a deeper playthrough. (Hey, all paladin-wannabe's are secret cynics at heart. It is why we identfy with the Lone Voice of Reason and Right, Bringing Justice To The World). So I am going to shortcut for you, berelinde - go buy those brakes, and wait until the first set of patches is out, before buying this game. And anyone who wants to complete a mod this fall/winter/spring, do the same - avoid it like the plague. Because once it has its talons gripping your neck, expect that each and every modding session is going to be a battle between the mod you love, and the sirine's lure of DA:O. Just remember - Dragon Age does not mince words, and after watching my Greywarden version of Aran leap onto an ogres chest for a kill-thrust, then rolling and scrambling away as blood spray traced across his body and the beast crumpled to the floor with a stone-shuddering thud, it does not mince actions either. Those gameplay talons are perfectly capable of tearing your metaphorical modding head off and splaying random bits and bytes of LoveTalk#17 all over a 27'x32' area, and then licking the residual electrical sparks from your dreams!

Graphical bugs taken care of ... better get to bed. There is a cup final tomorrow to attend, after all, and I know that this weekend is completely toast once I get into the game proper.

I am never going to finish my BG mods. Ever. :blush: Until my PC fries.

Icen

I want more, because I am spoiled by BG2, so I want the option that says "Father, I am full grown. Do not call me 'Pup' in front of your friends, please. I will be running this place someday, and you are embarassing me.".

I don't recall the protagonist of BG2 ever being able to say anything like this. He/She seemed to have Int8 Wis8 and Cha8 in every dialogue.

Anyway, does it have dumb/normal/intelligent/genius dialogues? Does it allow creating really charismatic (or not) characters?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.