Install order question

DarkWon

I want to give the armour system from TOB Refinements a shot to see how I like the damage reduction. But I want to keep the IR shields and armours :/

Any ideas on what order to install things? I guess i should do Refinements first then IR will patch over that, but I think the descriptions will probably overwrite eachother no matter what I do...??

Install IR's main component, then Refinements (choose the version of the armor component that doesn't alter descriptions), then any of the other IR components.

Yep it works that way, and you can still see the armour's resistances in your Record page anyway.

Doesn't work well with with IR. e.g. Full Plate gives 30% slashing reisistance and 5% bludgeoning...but in IR slashing and bludgeoning weapons have already been balanced, so it makes bludgeoning weapons way overpowered (don't they already get a + to hit most armours?)

I will wait for the IR version ???

Install IR's main component, then Refinements (choose the version of the armor component that doesn't alter descriptions), then any of the other IR components.
Yep it works that way, and you can still see the armour's resistances in your Record page anyway.

Doesn't work well with with IR. e.g. Full Plate gives 30% slashing reisistance and 5% bludgeoning...but in IR slashing and bludgeoning weapons have already been balanced, so it makes bludgeoning weapons way overpowered (don't they already get a + to hit most armours?)

Yes they do. It's a long story, but imo crushing weapons are indeed the best ones (I'm talking about the base weapons, not the enchanted versions) because of the hidden AC bonuses granted by armors.

If Refinement's damage resistance is put on top of those AC bonuses than you'll surely end up with an unbalanced system, but even without Refinements the current system makes crushing weapons a lot more effective than slashing/piercing weapons against armored opponents, and as effective as slashing/piercing weapons against unarmored opponents.

I will wait for the IR version ???
I'm really satisfied with the revision of light/heavy weapons, bows, xbows and spears, but as I recently proposed for V3 I think bludgeoning ones are too effective within IR V2.

My suggested changes for V3 are...

Club: damage reduced to 1d4 (I haven't noticed it before, but the manual already says 1d4 instead of 1d6).

Hammer: restore vanilla's 1d4+1 instead of IR's 1d8 (I never thought they could be right about this!)

Mace: 1d6 instead of 1d6 + 1

Morning Star: 1d6, +1 piercing damage (instead of IR's 2d4)

Flail: 2d4 (instead of vanilla's 1d6+1 and IR's 1d10)

Than either the "hidden AC bonuses" or the damage resistance system should work almost in the same way. Slashing weapons should be the most effective against unarmored opponents, and least effective against armored ones, while bludgeoning ones are the opposite, and piercing ones the "middle solution".

I find the "damage resistance" system more realistic, interesting and fun than the "hidden AC bonuses", but it's probably a matter of tastes.

I'm really satisfied with the revision of light/heavy weapons, bows, xbows and spears, but as I recently proposed for V3 I think bludgeoning ones are too effective within IR V2.

My suggested changes for V3 are...

Club: damage reduced to 1d4 (I haven't noticed it before, but the manual already says 1d4 instead of 1d6).

Hammer: restore vanilla's 1d4+1 instead of IR's 1d8 (I never thought they could be right about this!)

Mace: 1d6 instead of 1d6 + 1

Morning Star: 1d6, +1 piercing damage (instead of IR's 2d4)

Flail: 2d4 (instead of vanilla's 1d6+1 and IR's 1d10)

Than either the "hidden AC bonuses" or the damage resistance system should work almost in the same way. Slashing weapons should be the most effective against unarmored opponents, and least effective against armored ones, while bludgeoning ones are the opposite, and piercing ones the "middle solution".

I find the "damage resistance" system more realistic, interesting and fun than the "hidden AC bonuses", but it's probably a matter of tastes.

I tend to agree that some damage resistance would be cool. It would also kinda cancel out the -2 Dex everyone gets for wearing armour too, which for most characters means -2 AC. Would it be possible to give different weapons different threat ranges to make them distinct, like in 3E? e.g. Hammer 1d8 + better against armour, Longsword 1d8 with +5% chance of critical

Archived