Question/Concern about the 'fixed' mirror image

Guest Guest_Loz_*

Guest Guest_Loz_*

Hi,

I have yet to try this component but I am about to run scsii again and am not sure whether or not i should use it. My main concern is that without mirror image mages will be very easy to disrupt via aoe spells and gas spells like cloudkill incediary cloud etc. As we all know even if you are completely immune to a damage type you still get disrupted. How do these mages get a time stop off when they no longer have mirror image to help them? For a player it is very easy to time these spells at the right time and I have visions of mages becoming incapable of landing critical(long cast time) spells against me.

Is there something I am missing? In practice is it different than in theory? Should I install this component?

Thanks.

P.S. Shouldn't this be more of a 'make mirror image as in pnp' as opposed to 'fix mirror image' since mirror image has functioned this way in every IE game.

Well, the liches will be immune to most of your area effective spells as they are lower level spells, they also have magic resistance etc. your party might be on the way unless you have 6 mages... so yes, it's been considered that the mage can live without MI spell, or normal mage has Globe of Invulnerability. + The contingencies usually protect the mage from x number of spell levels, as they have Spell Deflection etc spells.

It's a fix in my mind, as you shouldn't be able to avoid area effective spells damage, by being inside the damage area.

P.S. Shouldn't this be more of a 'make mirror image as in pnp' as opposed to 'fix mirror image' since mirror image has functioned this way in every IE game.

The nice thing about writing a non-fixpack is that you can be relaxed about this kind of thing. I think it's a fix because (a) my hunch is that it's unintended behaviour; (b) it's undocumented; © it doesn't really make sense; (d) it's easy to see how it could occur, when writing the game, as an accidental consequence of how area-effect was implemented. But if you disagree, that's fine: what's in a name?

I quite like this, as it makes mages a wee bit more vulnerable.

IIRC mirror image in vanilla BG1 was even more broken (it functioned like stoneskin so there was no chance of hitting the real person until the last image was gone). So it's not like Bioware have exactly been consistent here.

Guest Guest_Loz_*

Yeah I was more interested on the effects on gameplay. Specifically say i drop a cloudkill on top of irenicus is he now going to fail to get any spells off?

Yeah I was more interested on the effects on gameplay. Specifically say i drop a cloudkill on top of irenicus is he now going to fail to get any spells off?

If you drop a cloudkill on Irenicus, he'll walk out of it, iirc.

(The longer answer is: I don't know. But when I wrote SCSII, I didn't actually know MI functioned this way, so I certainly intended wizards to survive without it)

My main concern is that without mirror image mages will be very easy to disrupt via aoe spells and gas spells like cloudkill incediary cloud etc. As we all know even if you are completely immune to a damage type you still get disrupted.
You may want to have a look at Spell Revisions mod, hosted right here on G3. Among the other things, it fixes the interruption bug.

Archived