LARPing

Mahault

Too much standing around in Vampire one and too much suspension of disbelief in both Vampire and Cyber, so fantasy it is...

LOL I'm sorry Meira, not making fun of you, just that line did make me chuckle since I would have thought fantasy would require as mush suspension of disbelief.

(sarcasm)

Ah... SCA... No, it's definetly not a LARP. LOL

The difference between LARPs and SCA is that a LARP is *game*, make-belief etc. and all participants tend to understand that. SCA politics, awards and stuff on the other hand people tend take so seriously it's scary.

(/sarcasm)

*nods* LARP is a game, though you will definitely find those who believe otherwise.

But in its own way, SCA is also roleplaying, though you are right in that many participants don't view it as such.

In SCA I'm appealed to meeting other people with similar interest to medieval crafts - I could not care less for the rattan fighters. Again SCA in Europe is different from the US, but not so much as LARPs.

Oh yes, I love seeing the various craftsman at work. There is a leather worker here who makes the most intricate stuff...

Thing is, when on a recruitment drive, usually it is the guys with the rattan weapons who draw the most initial interest.

Anyway, can people really LARP in Bergen? I mean successfully? Nine times out of ten the weather will defeat you. 

If you wear raingear... I mean, you are role-playing... who cares about the weather...

*nods* LARP is a game, though you will definitely find those who believe otherwise.

But in its own way, SCA is also roleplaying, though you are right in that many participants don't view it as such.

*nods happily*

I know there is a difference, but to someone who's looking at it from the outside it one simply looks like a more elaborate version of the other. Now if there is a SCA chapter where I live now I would definately join...

Too much standing around in Vampire one and too much suspension of disbelief in both Vampire and Cyber, so fantasy it is...

LOL I'm sorry Meira, not making fun of you, just that line did make me chuckle since I would have thought fantasy would require as mush suspension of disbelief.

LOL, I see your point, Bri.

Take that as comment from fantasy LARP fan who shamelessly puts down the other genres. ;)

Really, it's probably more about to what kind of and what level of simulation one is used to. I don't know how it's elsewhere, but here using your skills, feats or what ever they're called in Vampire is dealt with stone-paper-scissors -matches which don't actually help the immersion. :)

Also, for fantasy game it's generally easier to find a fitting location for the game since there no lack of forests and we have few medieval castles too. LARPs taking place in a real castle are rear though since the costs tend to leap quite high. I think the most common setting for a fantasy LARP is a house (often rented from boy/girl scouts) and the surrounding forest; not much propping needed there for the setting. The players are different matter of course and naturally any 'real' monsters or non humanoid races are out of the question. :) And I will not even start about simulating magic.

It's still fun and exiting though, even if LARPs cannot ever be as fantastic as one would wish; with dragons and fireballs. :D

Another popular (particularly in Sweden and Norway, I believe) genre of LARPs are those that are taking place to today's or near future/past setting, very commonly these are those that have political or social agenda. Not really my up of tea, but I can well see the point behind these type of LARPs.

LARP = Live Action Role-Playing

Og det går helt fint å spørre på norsk siden to av oss sa i fra at vi sannsynligvis forstår språket.

In any case it is roleplaying, meet improv, meet a ruleset, meet theatre... sort of. :)

Jaaaa Kabuki har rett Markeval og dum er du ikke. Også på norsk vi kan love opplysende svar uansett hva folk synes.

Meira, I forgive your mistake. Norwegian is only the Danish language dropped on its head anyway, and not nearly so complicated as Finnish. :D

At any rate, these responses have cleared up some misconceptions I had about LARPing/ers. For one, I had some idea that they ran around in costume every day. I think some people must do this (the too serious ones), and that is crossing some weird boundaries to me. Sorry for that. A game is a game and for those who enjoy it, I’m glad.

On a different rant, is anyone familiar with “Laiv� I wonder is this the same as to LARP?

For one, I had some idea that they ran around in costume every day.  I think some people must do this (the too serious ones), and that is crossing some weird boundaries to me.  Sorry for that.  A game is a game and for those who enjoy it, I’m glad.

Oh, there are some people who do that all day, but you will find such people in all parts of society. I think the only reason they are more noticeable among roleplayers is that at least in the US, it is already a niche crowd.

I mean, I know people who avidly watch soap operas, and they way they speak, you would think they believe their soaps were 'real'. And some of them do...sad to say :D

Archived