Making a Kit, is it difficult for a newbie?

Blades of Vanatar

It depends on the scope. 95% of the cool things you might want to do with a kit you'll find are either really difficult or impossible, but the process of making an Elven Knight button show up on the character generation kit selection screen is quite painless. Say you want to make an Elven Knight kit that simply has a different name, so elves can choose a cool sounding class - piece of cake. I'd recommend you try that as a starting point. Say you want to give them a +1 THAC0 bonus every Nth level - no problem. Say you want them to be restricted from wearing any armour except Elven Chainmail, have a decreased maximum weight allowance, gain a x3 critical modifier when wielding bows, and have the ability to steal spells from enemies to add to your spellbook - ehh, not going to happen.

If you are fine with the idea of reshaping concepts that end up being too cumbersome to implement, take a look at the 4-part Kit Creation tutorial here, and feel free to post any questions you might have.

It's so easy, even I can do it!

Apart from reading the tutorial that Mike pointed at, the best way to get started is to steal code. Download a kit mod, ideally one where the .TP2 is heavily commented, and start screwing with stuff.

Make sure to make an absolutely clean backup first, though.

It's so easy, even I can do it!

Apart from reading the tutorial that Mike pointed at, the best way to get started is to steal code. Download a kit mod, ideally one where the .TP2 is heavily commented, and start screwing with stuff.

Make sure to make an absolutely clean backup first, though.

Thanks guys. I will have time over thanksgiving to play around with this stuff. Looks like the key is understanding what is hardcoded and unchangeable. Then take what parameters are left and design from there. Who knows, maybe even I can do it! :blush:

Based off of my experience (which is not much :D ) I would say that the hardest part of making the kit is the abilities of the kit, and even then, the hardest part of that is the cosmetics (graphics, sounds, etc.)

Tip:For custom abilities, look at stock ones that do almost the same thing as the one you want to do and base your spell off of that. Also, to cut back on the amount of work done (for those of us that are lazy/uncreative :thumbsup: ), use stock icons and sounds rather than your own, unless a graphic only needs minor editing. I have found that many stock images have good representations of what I need. (Of course, everyone's needs are different! ;) )

Hope this helps!

The most difficult part is taking the time and effort to get around stuff that is hardcoded.... finding out many promising leads which result in everything not working anyway... trying new leads that similarly fail... until finally a few weeks/months later you figure out how to do it.

The best thing is to start with some easy kits and then delve into the nightmare of making advanced ones. :thumbsup:

Archived