Bam with sound included

deratiseur

Hello again guys :thumbsup:

I have notice that certain IWD & IWD2 bams have sound "include"

for exemple : fireh.bam, electrh.bam, coldh.bam. When they are used in game (BG2) with effect 215, they have an integrated sound.

The question is : how to manage this sound ? The acidh.bam hasn't associed sound, so when played with a weapon hit, the sound of hit is the one depending of the type of the weapon (blun, slashing or piercing). I really want to associate EFF_M47 to that bam.

If i use a vvc to have fireh.bam played on the hit of the weapon, the sound played is a fireburst. no "weapon" hit sound. That's good.

If i use a vvc to have acidh.bam played on the hit of the weapon, the sound played is the "weapon" hit sound. not good.

If i specify a sound in the vvc, the both sounds are played (The one specified in the vvc and the slasing/blunt/piercing sound). not good.

So, is there a way to modify/include a sound in a bam ?

No, it is not bam specific.

The BG2 opcode plays .VVC's and only if it doesn't find the VVC, it loads the .BAM resource.

You can easily edit the VVC.

It could be, that some other effect causes the additional sound.

Are you sure ?

If i rename the fireh.bam in pxwfireh.bam, and use the renamed file in the vvc, the sound is played.

So, how does the opcode recognize the bam and associate a sound ?

It can be a "elemental damage" associed to the type of damage deal , maybe, but the sound associed to electrh.bam isn't a nativel BG2 sound, for sure...

The BG2 opcode plays .VVC's and only if it doesn't find the VVC, it loads the .BAM resource.

Are you sure ?

If i rename the fireh.bam in pxwfireh.bam, and use the renamed file in the vvc, the sound is played.

So, if the sound is still played, and you don't use fireh anywhere, why do you still believe fireh is relevant?

This just strengthens my theory: "some other effect causes the additional sound"

Are you sure ?

So, if the sound is still played, and you don't use fireh anywhere, why do you still believe fireh is relevant?

This just strengthens my theory: "some other effect causes the additional sound"

Ok, so the question is : which effect ? And where is in the BG2 database the sound played with electrh.bam ?

If you use the damage or damage animation opcode, then i think it is already found :thumbsup:

I found some weird things while looking into the damage opcode, it uses HIT_O6.WAV as one of the sound resources.

(It is the letter o, not the number 0).

It is a typo in the original source of BG2.

The code also uses HIT_05, HIT_07. I think HIT_05 is for electricity.

[edit]

HIT_O6 is for the cold damage,

HIT_07 is for magic damage it seems.

I don't think most paths use HIT_O6 for the cold damage (I've been copying HIT_06 to HIT_O6 for years BTW); most instances of cold damage should play the right sound already, yes? (Actually, I can't remember where the O6 made a difference; was it CTRL-Y maybe?)

Archived