Opinions and suggestions for v3

Wisp

There isn't any real reason to upgrade if you already have v3 installed. Other than the install-time stuff, this latest iteration of v3 is not significantly different from the previous ones.

However, if you were to upgrade, you would need to restart for everything to work smoothly, since all areas you've visited and all stores you've bought from/sold to are stored in your save and would not be changed by the mod.

Other items which could be randomized:

Shuruppak's Plate

Ice Star

Lavender Ioun Stone

Wong Fei's Ioun Stone

Gram the Sword of Grief

These items are all used by the creatures possessing them. I haven't thought it would be right to weaken the owner by removing powerful items, but I have something in mind for v4 which might work out for randomising these items. (The Lavander Ioun Stone is not actually equipped, but I didn't think it was right to remove it either seeing as how Gromnir is actually wearing an undroppable helm.) I have no such compunctions against randomising Roranach's Horn, and indeed, that item is already being randomised.

Other items which could be randomized:

Shuruppak's Plate

Ice Star

Lavender Ioun Stone

Wong Fei's Ioun Stone

Gram the Sword of Grief

These items are all used by the creatures possessing them. I haven't thought it would be right to weaken the owner by removing powerful items, but I have something in mind for v4 which might work out for randomising these items.

I know. I thought that as long as those specific items are replaced by equally powerful ones, the creatures wielding them shouldn't be weakened, while the variety of the game would be improved. Can you tell us what's your idea for v4?

I know. I thought that as long as those specific items are replaced by equally powerful ones, the creatures wielding them shouldn't be weakened, while the variety of the game would be improved. Can you tell us what's your idea for v4?

Sorry about the late reply.

The problem is that I can't make any guarantees the item is replaced by something equally useful. E.g. Abazigal (kensai) could well receive a suit of armor or the Gauntlets of Extraordinary Specialization instead of another weapon. I had thought I'd try to randomise these items by replacing them with powerful generic stuff. I've been doing replacements like this since the beginning, but with a handful of exceptions, the replacement item has always been comparatively weak (e.g. non-magical). Abazigal obviously couldn't get a non-magical or +1 weapon to replace Gram, but maybe a +3 weapon could work, along with whatever random loot he receives.

I would very much like to hear some opinions on this matter.

Sorry about the late reply.

The problem is that I can't make any guarantees the item is replaced by something equally useful. E.g. Abazigal (kensai) could well receive a suit of armor or the Gauntlets of Extraordinary Specialization instead of another weapon. I had thought I'd try to randomise these items by replacing them with powerful generic stuff. I've been doing replacements like this since the beginning, but with a handful of exceptions, the replacement item has always been comparatively weak (e.g. non-magical). Abazigal obviously couldn't get a non-magical or +1 weapon to replace Gram, but maybe a +3 weapon could work, along with whatever random loot he receives.

I would very much like to hear some opinions on this matter.

Instead of some generic +3, why not make an exact copy of the original item but flag it as undroppable. Then, let him drop (but not equip) a random item of loot of equal power.

Instead of some generic +3, why not make an exact copy of the original item but flag it as undroppable. Then, let him drop (but not equip) a random item of loot of equal power.

I've not suggested this option because I really do not like undroppable equipment, but if you (the audience) think it is a better solution for cases like Abazigal, I've no real objections to doing it that way instead.

Personally, I really really don't like undroppable items. I think replacing them with some other powerful magic item in the same category (ie, a weapon for a weapon, a cloak/ring/amulet for a cloak/ring/amulet, etc) would be a good idea, if it's possible.

I might be able to write a addition that fudges the randomisation in a few cases. That way it should be possible to ensure that e.g. Abazigal always receives at least one random weapon. That way it should be possible to randomise equipment used by the creature and have it replaced by equipment of reasonable equivalence without using undroppable items.

One suggestion, unfortunately I can only think of one specific example off the top of my head: NPCs/encounters which can clearly be resolved without violence should not be targets of random item placement, as it means that RPing the encounter without violence means you skip over a potential lucrative/powerful loot randomly placed on that NPC.

Kiriann in the basilisk area is the clearest example; you really have to RP a fairly ill tempered/arrogant reaction to get into combat with her and her pals, otherwise they simply leave. She's on the list of recepients for randomized items, and a fairly powerful tier item too for BG1 portion of the game. imo she should be removed from the list, and similar situations as well where an encounter can clearly be resolved peacefully.

Suggestion #2: Zax the Fastest Dart thrower in the west (sp), iirc he comes with the gauntlets that aid in missile firing. He really should not lose that item which clearly would enhance his effectiveness in living up to his supposed reputation/notoriety...

Version 4 will feature a improved system for keeping items from being randomised and keeping other items from showing up on that location (e.g. on Kirian).

Since it's a good deal easier (for other people) to keep items from being randomised than it is to add items to the randomisation pool, I've chosen to go with the current "opt out" system and comprehensive item lists. That way those who wish trim the mod a little before they install it are able to do so.

Once v4 is released I'll advertise and document this feature a bit better. Up to now it's been rather limited, so I haven't made much mention of it.

I'm always open to, and appreciative of suggestions etc, but when one person says a certain item shouldn't be randomised, there's bound to be another person who says it should be. Consequently I try to make it as easy as possible to customise the mod, instead of constantly fiddling with the details and particulars.

I hope you've been enjoying the mod otherwise.

Archived