Revised Potions

Demivrgvs

Wait, why are we restricting agility potions by class? It's not like strength potions are reserved to warriors.

Edit: Ah, I see. It's going to be more of a potion of evasion. But why not keep a Dex boosting potion?

I think I've said it before but the reasons to use a DEX enhancing potion are:

* increasing AC --> Potion of Defense does it, and better

* increasing thievies skills --> both Potion of Perception and Potion of Master Thievery increase them (as much as a +4 DEX)

* increasing ranged thac0 --> Potion of Heroism does it and more

I'm really not against keeping it as a DEX enhancing potion, I just thought it was kinda unappealing considering the other potions, and that a new potion could add more variety to the game. Most players seemed to agree, as right now I'd say I have more or less 5 votes for Evasion and 1 for the old potion (2 if you prefer it too).

Potion of Agility

Vanilla game too has thief-only and warrior-only potions, so I really see no blasphemy with class limitation.

Rangers/barbs - I'm kinda indifferent about it.

Wait, why are we restricting agility potions by class? It's not like strength potions are reserved to warriors.
Actually, all of Giant Strength potions are.

Potion of Memory

Let's try b) then.

Assuming we're still opting for my suggested crazy solution, which seems everyone except Aranthys really like I have a small doubt and an alternative solution to yarpen's suggested DEX requirement:

a) Should I rename it Potion of Evasion?

b) what about restricting it to thieves, monks, rangers and barbarians? Or only thieves and monks if we want to be "strict".

Yes for both of those. I think it's better solution than mine. DEX requirement on potion seems silly. ^^' And new name is more appropriate.

This is the only other potion I've currently "on hold", as we haven't decided its effect. I suggested two solutions:

a) one spell for each lvl from 1st to 4th

b) two spells from the higher possible lvl (as per WR, but with a lower spell lvl cap)

But I'm not sure which one is better...

Well, I'd like to see version ab: 2 spells from levels 1-5. Something from higher levels would be innapropriate. And it'd be nice to see this potion not-so-expensive.

Potion of Memory

This is the only other potion I've currently "on hold", as we haven't decided its effect. I suggested two solutions:

a) one spell for each lvl from 1st to 4th

b) two spells from the higher possible lvl (as per WR, but with a lower spell lvl cap)

But I'm not sure which one is better...

Well, I'd like to see version ab: 2 spells from levels 1-5. Something from higher levels would be innapropriate. And it'd be nice to see this potion not-so-expensive.
ab? You mean an exact copy of Wondrous Recall?

Regarding the price I was indeed ignoring that aspect sorry, but I don't know what you mean by "not so expensive". WR is a 6th lvl spell, if we go for b) I can consider this spell-like effect a lower lvl one, but even then its price should be relatively high imo, I'd even dare to say 500gp, but surely not much less than that.

Potion of Evasion

Ok, it seems we are almost all for it, and most of you prefer to limit it to thieves and monks only. Its price instead is another doubt, as I'm not sure I can "quantify" its effectiveness. 300gp? :D

Potions of Giant Strength

@Ardanis, they were restricted to warriors in vanilla and the current beta but in my current V3 build they are not...what should we do? We can assume only warriors are "predisposed" to get inhuman strength (much like only them can get 18/00 STR at character creation), or we can assume that enhancing physical strength doesn't need any "predisposition" at all because is just raw strength and not a "supernatural ability" of a class enhanced by the potion. :)

Potion of Agility

Just to be sure, does anyone has a complete list of spl files that should be taken into account? Does aVENGER's Evasion (which I don't have right now to check) already list them all?

I don't have problems with the obvious cleric and mage spells, but custom ones like dragon's innate breath attacks and mod added spells or spell-like abilities are a different story.

P.S Other than that I should have nothing else to do left with potions. I'm updating the first post but it may take a while because I'm messing around with too many things at once. :)

Does aVENGER's Evasion (which I don't have right now to check) already list them all?
Seems so. Afaik he's been rather scrupulous in setting things up, so I'd trust him. Dragon breaths are added too. If you need mod ones, then also 'rtwdmag' and 'rtwlith'.

Potion of Evasion

Does aVENGER's Evasion (which I don't have right now to check) already list them all?
Seems so. Afaik he's been rather scrupulous in setting things up, so I'd trust him. Dragon breaths are added too. If you need mod ones, then also 'rtwdmag' and 'rtwlith'.

Good, could you be so kind to send me his file so that I don't have to unzip RR and search for it? :)

Furthermore, I've currently included three spells he didn't (at lest judging by his description): Glyph of Warding, Skull Trap, and SR's Fire Trap. Should I remove them? I'm not sure about it, it depends on how we think those spells work...

Yarpen, thanks, you've helped to catch an oversight there :) The list is not full - sppr985 & sppr987 are missing, trap versions of Call Lightning and Flame Strike.

Arrow traps, yeah, I'd include them too. These are spwi005-spwi013, not sure about detonation (spwi009).

Glyph of Warding, Skull Trap, and SR's Fire Trap
Maybe. I'd stop at there, though, otherwise we can justify immunity to half the magic available (Flame Arrow, Entangle, Earthquake, etc.).

PS Sent mail.

I think those should stay. I don't know if it's possible, but Potion of Evasion should also grant immunity to all mechanical traps. :)
Yarpen, thanks, you've helped to catch an oversight there :D The list is not full - sppr985 & sppr987 are missing, trap versions of Call Lightning and Flame Strike.

Arrow traps, yeah, I'd include them too. These are spwi005-spwi013, not sure about detonation (spwi009).

Wait...trap versions of Call Lighting and Flame Strike yes, but arrow traps? If we are excluding Flame Arrow and similar spells then we should exclude arrow traps too imo...no?

Glyph of Warding, Skull Trap, and SR's Fire Trap
Maybe. I'd stop at there, though, otherwise we can justify immunity to half the magic available (Flame Arrow, Entangle, Earthquake, etc.).
Thus no Trap spells?

PS Sent mail.
Thanks.

Archived