Revised Potions

Demivrgvs

Thanks for your answers.

I think easily we could replace the cursed potions, but that's my opinion. Cursed potions is mildly used in BG, where they are found both as random droppings and at certain (known to too many) locations.

Potion of Freedom
:) , it's that the 'Potion of Freedom Of Movement', not the 9th level dispel spell for the 'Imprisonment'.
Are you suggesting to make the potion grant immunity to Imprisonment? That would be too convenient imo.
No, just name it as 'Potion of Freedom Of Movement', as the 'Potion of Total Freedom' could have the said ability.
Thanks for your answers.
You're welcome. :)

Cursed Potions

I think easily we could replace the cursed potions, but that's my opinion. Cursed potions is mildly used in BG, where they are found both as random droppings and at certain (known to too many) locations.
But is there any plot-reason for them being around? Because other than that I think they are completely pointless, and no one will ever drink a Potion of Speed with a colorful bam which clearly says "don't drink, I'm not a Potion of Speed!".

Potion of Freedom

:) ,it's that the 'Potion of Freedom Of Movement', not the 9th level dispel spell for the 'Imprisonment'.
Are you suggesting to make the potion grant immunity to Imprisonment? That would be too convenient imo.
No, just name it as 'Potion of Freedom Of Movement', as the 'Potion of Total Freedom' could have the said ability.
Good point, it makes it the longest name ever, but I like your suggestion.

Cursed Potions

But is there any plot-reason for them being around?
I sincerely believe that the answer is no. And frankly I wouldn't love the chance to occasionally drink an urine smelling liquid found at random and looking identical to ever favorite potion of speed.

Potion of Freedom

Really cosmetic, but ain't 'potion of freedom of movement' too long a construct? 'Potion of free action' looks shorter. Not that I have any complains about 'potion of freedom' though.

Cursed Items

There're no reasons for cursed potions to be ingame (except for those two found in Nashkell mines - don't remember their names, but they've got that green bottle bam) beyond the irritation of drinking them in the first playthrough - at least I drank them. I say remove them if you like.

Cheers

Potion of Magic Shielding

In PnP it doesn't grant 50% resistance to elemental and magic damage (successfully saving against damage-dealing spells already do that) and I'm not too much against it, but I'll let you decide. :)

This incredibly powerful potion shouldn't have a duration higher than 1 turn imo.

The original descriptions... Potion of Magic Shielding. So the PoMS actually makes the user to have +20 to their saves among other things. The question is, is the +20 enough, in most cases it's true, but let's say we have a 1 level party who protects themselves with those potions against a demon, a pit fiend, the +20 to saves isn't going to save them from all the effects...(when you have abilities that need -6 to make the save).

Potion of Magic Blocking

Well well, in PnP it works as a Globe of Invulnerability, but developers combined that with a Potion of Dispelling/Anti-magic, and ended up screwing it with an incorrect description (it says the effect protects only against 1st to 5th lvl spells, but it works with any lvl of spell up to 9th). The silliest thing imo is that such a powerful anti-magic effect...was dispellable. :)

Well, isn't it best then to remove the level 6, 7, 8 and 9th effects? And was it easily dispellable if the potion made the user immune to the 3rd level dispel spell? Actually not so easily, except for some that use level zero spells... used by items etc.

Cursed Items

There're no reasons for cursed potions to be ingame (except for those two found in Nashkell mines - don't remember their names, but they've got that green bottle bam) beyond the irritation of drinking them in the first playthrough - at least I drank them. I say remove them if you like.

What do you mean, if my dummy fighter wishes his strength to be 25, he just culbs down the bad tasting and smelly red potion, only to notice that he really wished to have drinked the pink one his friend the mage did. Well, next time he indeed then drinks the red one...

The potion in the Nashkel mines are actually quest items(in UBforBG1), so don't go remove them either.

The potion in the Nashkel mines are actually quest items(in UBforBG1), so don't go remove them either.

As I indicated :). It's fine with cursed potions if some find them and swallow them RP-wise.

What about those two in Naskell Circus? "The red potion" and the other?? I do remember them being good, but don't remember what they do. Their purpose seems limited and they are not present in BG2 afaIk. Do some mind to change them (if needed).

Well It seems that this thread gave Demi the creeps, perhaps it has been postponed for IR v4?? :)

So the PoMS actually makes the user to have +20 to their saves among other things. The question is, is the +20 enough, in most cases it's true, but let's say we have a 1 level party who protects themselves with those potions against a demon, a pit fiend, the +20 to saves isn't going to save them from all the effects...(when you have abilities that need -6 to make the save).
:) I never thought about this, but I don't think it can really happen. All classes at 1st level would make such save with a +20 bonus because they have a base save vs. death 14 or less.

Than you could say, but what if such pit fiend is summoned by a mage who also cast Malison on this poor 1st level party? :)

Potion of Magic Blocking

Well well, in PnP it works as a Globe of Invulnerability, but developers combined that with a Potion of Dispelling/Anti-magic, and ended up screwing it with an incorrect description (it says the effect protects only against 1st to 5th lvl spells, but it works with any lvl of spell up to 9th). The silliest thing imo is that such a powerful anti-magic effect...was dispellable. ;)
Well, isn't it best then to remove the level 6, 7, 8 and 9th effects?
That's what I've currently done, I simply don't love the concept...but I think I'll have to live with it for now.

I've just realized one thing, this potion is incredibly powerful against beholders rays even if "nerfed" as per description, because such rays are considered 5th level spells.

And was it easily dispellable if the potion made the user immune to the 3rd level dispel spell? Actually not so easily, except for some that use level zero spells... used by items etc.
Actually any dispel effect in the original game bypassed any 'spell level immunity', and it was super easy to dispel this potion because a 5th level caster was enough to dispel it with 99% chance.

Cursed Potions

What do you mean, if my dummy fighter wishes his strength to be 25, he just culbs down the bad tasting and smelly red potion, only to notice that he really wished to have drinked the pink one his friend the mage did. Well, next time he indeed then drinks the red one...

What about those two in Naskell Circus? "The red potion" and the other?? I do remember them being good, but don't remember what they do. Their purpose seems limited and they are not present in BG2 afaIk. Do some mind to change them (if needed).
Well, let's make it a little more clear.

With Cursed Potions I mean 'of Speed' (potn23), 'of Healing' (potn25), 'Antidote' (potn32), and 'of Invulnerability' (potn40). These are the only potions I consider a waste...but I can live with them.

The potions you're talking about instead are Red Potion (potn15) and Violet Potion(potn16) , and they're not "cursed", they do exactly what the description says.

Then there are few BG1 quest related potions and I'm obviously not going to touch. Those should be Vial of Mysterious Liquid (potn48), and Festule the Alchemist's Potion (potn53). I've modified Marek's Potion of Antidote (potn47) even if it is a BG1 quest-related potion, but it's a simple Antidote with 10 doses.

Beta Release

Well It seems that this thread gave Demi the creeps, perhaps it has been postponed for IR v4?? :)
Eh eh, sorry, I've actually finished almost everything, but I couldn't bear to work on the setup file to package the mod. As soon as I find the will and time to work on it I'll release it as a mini-mod, but surely this will be within v3! :)

Apart from +20 bonus still not being enough in rare cases, do you know that SCS checks for save values to roughly identify this potion being in effect? IIRC the threshold is -10, so with Malison it makes possible to have just consumed PoMS and still be higher than -10. This is a technical issue, and rather DavidW's own problems than SR's, but why not?

Potion of Magic Blocking

I've just realized one thing, this potion is incredibly powerful against beholders rays even if "nerfed" as per description, because such rays are considered 5th level spells.
SCS has an option to let beholders to overwhelm spell protections.

That's what I've currently done, I simply don't love the concept...but I think I'll have to live with it for now.

Go for magical aurora, we say :)

A request and an opinion.

In BG1, there can sometimes be a kerfuffle in the Poison Quest: Either because of a script hiccup or because the party attacks Marek before speaking to him (which they would be justified in doing), the encounter does not always result in the party being cured of Marek's poison, even though he drops enough antidote for everybody. Therefore, I'd like Marek's Potion of Antidote, POTNMARE.ITM, to have the additional effect of setting the Global Variable "PartyCured" to 1. Even if it only saves one game, it'd be worth it.

Also, if you're taking a poll, I for one have never liked the idea of certain portions (X Giant Strength, Invulnerability, etc.) that were only usable by certain classes. How many years of specialized Warrior training does it take to learn how to uncork a bottle, tip the contents down your throat, and swallow?

My apologies if this sentiment has already been expressed in this thread.

Also, if you're taking a poll, I for one have never liked the idea of certain portions (X Giant Strength, Invulnerability, etc.) that were only usable by certain classes. How many years of specialized Warrior training does it take to learn how to uncork a bottle, tip the contents down your throat, and swallow?

:) Agree though.

Apart from +20 bonus still not being enough in rare cases, do you know that SCS checks for save values to roughly identify this potion being in effect? IIRC the threshold is -10, so with Malison it makes possible to have just consumed PoMS and still be higher than -10. This is a technical issue, and rather DavidW's own problems than SR's, but why not?
Well, if changing it into a +30 bonus will fix the two issues I'm fine with it.

Marek's Potion

In BG1, there can sometimes be a kerfuffle in the Poison Quest: Either because of a script hiccup or because the party attacks Marek before speaking to him (which they would be justified in doing), the encounter does not always result in the party being cured of Marek's poison, even though he drops enough antidote for everybody. Therefore, I'd like Marek's Potion of Antidote, POTNMARE.ITM, to have the additional effect of setting the Global Variable "PartyCured" to 1. Even if it only saves one game, it'd be worth it.
I've absolutely no idea what you're talking about. :) This will be another occasion where Mike will say me I should be ashamed of not having played BG1, but if this can be useful and he says to go with it I'm fine with it. :)

Potions Usability

:) Agree though.
Eh eh, conceptually I obviously agree, though I also consider it as a way to imply that such potions have no effect on a particular character.

I've no problems in theory but when it comes to implementation I would have three thing to watch out for:

1. PnP Potion of Invulnerability really cannot be usable by mages

2. Potion of Perception shouldn't be usable by non-thieves

3. Potion of Master Thievery will still have no effect on non-thieves

1. for the obvious combo with PfMW

2. the "issue" here is that half of its effect won't work on non-thieves, and I don't want the other half to work because I don't like too much to allow any character of any class to be 'immune to backstab' :)

3. well, not an outstanding issue, if you're not stupid you simply don't use it on non-thieves

Marek's Potion
I've absolutely no idea what you're talking about. :) This will be another occasion where Mike will say me I should be ashamed of not having played BG1, but if this can be useful and he says to go with it I'm fine with it. :)
That's very good idea SixOfSpades, Demi you can learn more about the quest from here(the Marek and Lothander related quest, BG1 spoilers).

Who would play BG1, as you can play the same exact scenario in Tutus and BGT?

Marek's Potion
I'd like Marek's Potion of Antidote, POTNMARE.ITM, to have the additional effect of setting the Global Variable "PartyCured" to 1. Even if it only saves one game, it'd be worth it.
I've absolutely no idea what you're talking about. :)

Marek and Lothander are a team of assassins who somehow manage to poison the entire party--once the 2nd part of the quest initiates, the party has only 10 game days before they all die. Skipping all spoilers, the party can only be cured by cornering Marek and talking to him (the vanilla game sets "PartyCured" only in Marek's dialog), and because he drops a unique Antidote (a 1-pound bottle that can be used 10 times, functioning as a regular Antidote each time), players tend to assume that the cure is actually conferred by passing this bottle around so everyone can take a sip. Making POTNMARE actually set this variable is just a fail-safe . . . on a quest that can be particularly devastating if it does fail.

Potions Usability

1. PnP Potion of Invulnerability really cannot be usable by mages

2. Potion of Perception shouldn't be usable by non-thieves

3. Potion of Master Thievery will still have no effect on non-thieves

1. for the obvious combo with PfMW

2. the "issue" here is that half of its effect won't work on non-thieves, and I don't want the other half to work because I don't like too much to allow any character of any class to be 'immune to backstab' :)

3. well, not an outstanding issue, if you're not stupid you simply don't use it on non-thieves

#1: Well, I use the Potion of Invulnerability mainly for the Save bonuses, especially against Illithids, and since not all forms of Free Action protect against Stun, it seems more than a little unfair to deny non-Warriors a fighting chance simply because some of them might cheese themselves 4 rounds of Absolute Immunity with it. Instead, why not have Mages (except Transmuters) be immune to the PfNW effect, or block PfMW while the potion is active? Perhaps the PfNW effect could even be dispellable, so Mages who want the Save/AC bonus but also the ability to cast PfMW could drink the Potion, then Dispel themselves.

#2: I'm of two minds about this. If using Protection from Fire potions/scrolls/spells means Elementals and Efreeti are all but helpless, how is a Potion of Perception neutralizing enemy Thieves (those that try to Backstab you, anyway) any different? Then again, I'd have no real objection to making this potion confer its effects only on classes who would benefit from at least 1 of the enhanced Thieving skills.

#3: I of course have absolutely no problem with stupid gamers being allowed to make all the dumb mistakes they want.

Archived