A nasty encounter

Guest newguest01

Guest newguest01

There is a very nasty between-area fight especially in the Cloakwood areas, when 3 Giant Spiders attacks you. They begin the fight with 3 Webs, my party is around level 4-5, all of them gets holded, poisoned and dies quickly. There is no chance to run away. This is very annoying, especially for non-reloaders as I am.

Free Action is lvl 4 spell, sometimes I manage to kill one spider whit Magic Missiles and arrows, but the other two still killing me. I thought about to make the whole party invisible, but the party lacks of Invs. Potions. Thus, what can be done to survive?

There is a very nasty between-area fight especially in the Cloakwood areas, when 3 Giant Spiders attacks you. They begin the fight with 3 Webs, my party is around level 4-5, all of them gets holded, poisoned and dies quickly. There is no chance to run away. This is very annoying, especially for non-reloaders as I am.

Free Action is lvl 4 spell, sometimes I manage to kill one spider whit Magic Missiles and arrows, but the other two still killing me. I thought about to make the whole party invisible, but the party lacks of Invs. Potions. Thus, what can be done to survive?

Scouting is imperative. So is having a few Potions of Freedom. The clue is to make one of your characters immune to the web, either a backstabbing thief or a tank, while the rest of the party attacks from distance. If spiders target a non-protected character, make sure only that one character is caught in the web, by scattering the party. Scattering is a good idea for spells like Sleep, Horror, Web and similar and requires paying close attenion to what happens.

Also, there are lots of traps in some areas of cloakwood, so both scouting and detecting traps may be wise, although usually you should be able to move out of the spiders' sight before the Web hits and then just wait it out.

I did it with archers Kivan/Immy whom I got away from the webs with, and my protagonist mage. So I shot them dead, while they were attacking Jaheira/Khalid/Gavin. As mentioned scattering is a good tactic. I'd recommend antidotes and plenty of them.

Cheers

Also, there are lots of traps in some areas of cloakwood, so both scouting and detecting traps may be wise, although usually you should be able to move out of the spiders' sight before the Web hits and then just wait it out.
But the problem might be that it's not the traps that trigger the web effect, but the spider themselves... I have no advice for none reloader, but 'Scorching the Earth' might work for reloader, by throwing everything you got(fireballs, explosive potions etc) near the spot where the enemy is, will definitely lessen the thread factor. Of course you'll need a 5th level mage for the Fireball spell...

I'd recommend antidotes and plenty of them.
Yeah, that would work, would there be no webs, but not with them.
Guest newguest01
Scouting is imperative.

No, I will say that when I move from one area to the another, there is a chance to get ambushed by monsters. In most of the cases low-level monstas will attack, the most annoying (for now) was the three Ettercaps (they poison is deadlier than of the spiders, and the scene is web-trapped, so carefully with hit-and-run tactics) and the Giant Spiders. Thanks, the Potion of Freedom sounds as a good solution.

Guest newguest01
I did it with archers Kivan/Immy whom I got away from the webs with, and my protagonist mage. So I shot them dead, while they were attacking Jaheira/Khalid/Gavin.

As I said before in the random ambushes especially between the four Cloakwood areas there is a big chance (or I was so unfortunate?) to get 3 Giant Spiders. They begin right away with 3 webs, so there no chance to get away. In normal circumstances I explore with a rogue, send first a fighter to get "absorb" the webs, and distribute my archers/mages away from each other and kill the spiders from the distant quickly before they try to web them again.

I did it with archers Kivan/Immy whom I got away from the webs with, and my protagonist mage. So I shot them dead, while they were attacking Jaheira/Khalid/Gavin.

As I said before in the random ambushes especially between the four Cloakwood areas there is a big chance (or I was so unfortunate?) to get 3 Giant Spiders. They begin right away with 3 webs, so there no chance to get away. In normal circumstances I explore with a rogue, send first a fighter to get "absorb" the webs, and distribute my archers/mages away from each other and kill the spiders from the distant quickly before they try to web them again.

Well It worked for me: run in different directions with shooters, attack spiders with meleers.

Archived