Delainy - Keldorn

Kish

Keldorn:

"Something the matter,  Delainy?  This old paladin sees you staring his way...perhaps there is a bit of gristle in my teeth?"

Delainy flushes as she is caught looking at Keldorn:

"I'm sorry...its just that I think you are the...oldest...human warrior I've seen in my travels."

Keldorn:

"Aye, I have a few gray hairs. When you start to grow in years, you too will bear such..."

Delainy:

"Um, sorry, I didn't mean to mention it...its just that...well, we are taught to respect our elders, you know.  Life was harsh enough, so few made it to their twilight years.  Those that did, though, earned the respect of all, even the Alpha.  I guess that's why I am surprised to see you adventuring.  I would think you would have a lot to teach your...cubs...of this Order...rather than having you ride all over the countryside. "

Keldorn:

"Ahh, we call those cubs, pages, and if they make it further in their training, squires.  And you are right if you assume that few paladins even live to see my years.  There has been some...pressure...for me to retire, to take it easy as well."

Delainy:

"Then why haven't you?  I'm sure that you have earned a respite."

Keldorn:

"Sometimes I do think of slowing down, but then I remember the motto of the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart..."

Delainy:

"Motto?  And what is that?"

Keldorn:

"The courage of one can change the destiny of many."

Delainy:

"The courage...ah, I see.  And you see it as your...obligation...to continue on your path?"

Keldorn:

"Indeed Delainy.  It is my obligation, my duty.  For if I won't bear it, then who will?  Look at MainChar's achievements in Baldur's Gate.  If it wasn't for him, the entire Sword Coast would be awash in war...I feel much the same way.  What you term an obligation is more than that.  An obligation implies that I am bound to my course, with little say in the matter, and to that I would say 'Nay'.  Rather it is a duty, an honor and responsibility to fulfill.   It...can be lonely at times, wearying on the soul, but it is a burden I willingly bear, especially when I look at the good that my actions engender.."

Delainy:

"I...understand...thank you Keldorn."

OOC:

For the life of me, I was tempted to have a line after the gray hair remark by Keldorn to say "Peony did give me that blackening formula for my hair..."  Or is it Vesper (Vespa?) who is his youngest daughter, but I did withhold it in good taste ;-)

Peony is the maid.  His daughters are Vesper and...I think Leona, but I won't swear to that last.

You might want to consider checking the status of Keldorn's family quest, and, if appropriate, having Keldorn mention that he intends to retire after completing his obligation to CHARNAME.

I never really thought of Keldorn as "ancient-old," which is the tone I get from this. I always thought of Keldorn as being in 40's or early 50's at the latest, judging by his portrait, daughters, and wife. I don't know how old you consider Keldorn, but in the banter he sounds like a 65 year old man, except for the "few grey hairs" comment. Other than that, you captured Keldorn's personality well!

Actually, I place him early 50's myself :D  And I figure his wife is at least 10 years younger than him (his youngest daughter is only about 7 or 8 in my mind...no the ages aren't official).

Anyways, in the Player's Handbook to Paladins (for 2nd Edition AD&D), paladins die young.

Direct quote:

"Paladins over 30 are rare, and it's nearly impossible to find one in his 40's.  Paladins who reach 50 or 60 usually retire--some because of familial obligations, others to attend to their stronghold.  Often they retire at the insistence of their superiors who find aging paladins are more useful as teachers or administrators than soldiers."

Also, the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart has as one of the entrance requirements that a paladin be at least 40 years of age.

This isn't to say that Anomen isn't a member, but what he would really be (in canon, out of the BG II game) is a member of the Radiant Heart Auxiliary.  This is the junior wing of the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart.

Nice banter Bri, you caught Keldorn's devotion to duty (but not blind devotion) very well.

Actually, I place him early 50's myself   And I figure his wife is at least 10 years younger than him (his youngest daughter is only about 7 or 8 in my mind...no the ages aren't official).

For a medieval setting, 40 is quite old. Remember, in the middle ages the average age of death (in Europe, and depending on what year) was 35. So if you made it to 40 you were OLD. At 50 Keldorn is pretty advanced in age for someone whose life is as brutal as a knight.

With the use of magic, I assume these ages are extended somewhat in FR.

Actually, you both are somewhat right.  The life span in the Core AD&D books allows for people to live up to 100 and slightly more...

But that is for adventurers who are hardier folk than the average person.

True, Haucusuchus, it isn't Medieval Europe where 40 was considered to be old...and yes, BigRob there is magic...but even then, most magic (especially the type for lengthening one's life) is out of reach of the common man...and don't forget, even though clerics do exist, they don't come right out of the woodwork, and many of the temples and faiths would expect payment for their skills.

So, you are given a situation where some of the bits are similar to the Middle Ages, but they are much more educated.  For example, they do know about proper sanitation.  Just that alone will cut deaths due to disease and such severalfold, and the hospitals they do have do know about the benefits of washing and such (greatly reduces infection).  With the use of herbalists as well, with real magic potions and such, childbirth and other instances become much less dangerous.  So, factors that lessened the life span in the real world in that period would actually be taken care of...

However, there is a marked increase in the amount of violence suffered in the Forgotten Realms...seems like every year there is an orc rampage for example...

So, I would be willing to grant that people can live as long as in the real world in most first world countries easily...just remember that the risks are still much greater.  And Keldorn is in a profession where violence is almost the norm :D  

So, for Keldorn, approaching 40 would be old...but I think it is reasonable to say he is 50...and that is still old (and this is canonical AD&D 2nd edition material.)  Note that this no way invalidates the lifespan you quoted Haucusuchus, but I think we are focusing more on a lifestyle.

For that matter, adventurers in general wouldn't have a great life expectency either...

Except wizards. And preists.  :D

So, I would be willing to grant that people can live as long as in the real world in most first world countries easily...
Hell, even in ancient times when average age of death for most humans was 18(!) Nobles from reasonably advanced civilisations were living to what we would consider old age (80+).

So 40-50 for an adventurer is a pretty good run.  :D

Actually, BigRob, while I won't deny that the nobles and upper crust as it were tended to have a better chance at survival to old age, even they tended to die fairly young (especially by today's standards).  After all, if your idea of a doctor includes massive bleeding, it doesn't matter whether you are a peasant or a noble...

But, I will admit that with wizards and priests, nobles (or rich merchants, etc.) will definitely live much longer...and can afford improved health measures for their family.

Still, the one thing to bear in mind is that Keldorn IS in a profession that still faces combat on a regular basis...which does tend to weed out paladins on a fairly regular basis.

Very true. When you see a demon and your first words are "CHARGE!" it does tend to sharply lower your odds of survival.  :D

Actually, BigRob, while I won't deny that the nobles and upper crust as it were tended to have a better chance at survival to old age, even they tended to die fairly young (especially by today's standards).  After all, if your idea of a doctor includes massive bleeding, it doesn't matter whether you are a peasant or a noble...
Here I was referring to civilisations like ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome, who had much better medicine than their dark-age and Medieval successors. :D

Even in those civilizations, though BigRob, people still died young, in general.  Childbirth for women, violence for men, disease for all, not to mention droughts, famines, etc...factors other things like...well, simple irrigation could help alleviate

Oh yes, absolutely. The peasantry weren't much better off in those civilisations. Ramses the Great made it into his late 60's (I think) and in the end, they think an infection in his worn down teeth got him.

Even a king's bread had grit in it.  :D

Archived