Man, I think I am going to give up on the Wheel of Time

Domi

So, yesterday I was surprised to discover Jordan's post-mortem Wheel of Time # XYZ waiting for me. I looked at the huge volume (almost 800 pages), and my heart sank. Then I opened the cover, and it said, it's the first in THREE books. I cussed. I tried reading it this morning on the bus, and I don't think I have the endurance for 2400 more pages of this crap. Yeah, I wanted to see how the bloody thing ends, but enough is enough.

I can relate to that. I knew that the final book had turned into a final trilogy, having read it on the official web site, and that had just left me crestfallen. I, too, had immensely enjoyed the Wheel of Time as Robert Jordan had imagined it, but it's just the not the same now that he has passed. I haven't gotten around to ordering the new book, but... I'm not sure that I ever will. I enjoyed Robert Jordan's tales as he spun them, so now... *shrug* I would like to know how it'll end, but...

So you started the new book, then? Is it really that bad??

I got about 15 pages in on the bus this morning, and it was the same stuff all over again, down to copy-paste descriptions of Rand's eyes (yeah, jewel-like is back, and so is like ice), and someone already wondered how he can be so hard, in a non-sexual way. Nynaeve already tagged her braid. Repeatedly. While being angry with Rand. A couple of characters already thought and talked at length about how odd and different and plain wrong other cultures were... Now all is needed is anyone fretting over the cut of a dress, and we are all set. Maybe I am just spoiled by Abercrombie. Anyway, new Hobbs should be in soonish, and it is set in the rainforest setting, so I am going to subsist on Mott Davidson till I get that.

Wow, you've got way more stamina than I had to get that far. I think I read about three of the books in the series and gave up. I was astounded at his ability to use a paragraph to describe one thing, like a leaf or somesuch.

I decided that watching grass grow would be faster and more entertaining. (I know some people enjoy the series, not trying to offend anyone. :) )

I got about 15 pages in on the bus this morning, and it was the same stuff all over again, down to copy-paste descriptions of Rand's eyes (yeah, jewel-like is back, and so is like ice), and someone already wondered how he can be so hard, in a non-sexual way. Nynaeve already tagged her braid. Repeatedly. While being angry with Rand. A couple of characters already thought and talked at length about how odd and different and plain wrong other cultures were... Now all is needed is anyone fretting over the cut of a dress, and we are all set.

What, no "she crossed her hands over her breasts"? :)

Personally I'm waiting for the next book in the fantastic and brilliant Song of Ice and Fire series. Haven't been so excited about books since I discovered Lord of the Rings early in my nerdhood.

I am waiting on the Republic of Thieves and the Heroes, thinking they both are going to beat the Dance to the shelf. I have to say that Abercrombie is quickly becoming my fav, particulary that he now took to writing 1 book stories in his world. Good call, in my view!

And, yeah, I dropped Jordan off on Saturday. Let someone who enjoys it more than I do get it sooner :) Nope, nobody crossed their arms over their breasts, but one of the Foresaken wore Domani dress that was more transparent than a regular Domani dress.

I second the Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire) book series. Way better than Wheel of Time.

I also enjoyed The Malazan Empire books (at least the first two) but I feel as if those books are more slanted towards male readers.

Also, ASOIAF is more slanted towards mature readers than Malazan. Malazan feels more like a gigantic RPG campaign world pppulated by a host of "this-guy-is-much-kewler-and-more-badass-than-Drizzt-and-Elminster" characters.

Archived