Adamntine Golems and Kangaxx the Demi-Lich

But then, why shouldn't vorpal hits work on golems?

Golems are clumps of magically animated matter, they don't have any vital parts. Vorpal hits are supposed to cut off a limb, which may be fatal or incapacitating on organic creatures (in pnp, though in Bg2 this is simplified to instant death), but how can it affect a golem or any other creature that doesn't really have an actual head?

A small addendum.

Because certain items are supposed to slay Golems on hit (i.e. Crom Fayer, Rod of Smiting, RR's Stonesmasher...etc.) immunity to vorpal hits should be granted via EFF targeting (on vorpal weapons) rather than simply protecting all Golems in the game from opcode #13.

A small addendum.

Because certain items are supposed to slay Golems on hit (i.e. Crom Fayer, Rod of Smiting, RR's Stonesmasher...etc.) immunity to vorpal hits should be granted via EFF targeting (on vorpal weapons) rather than simply protecting all Golems in the game from opcode #13.

That's exactly what I did for IR v3. :)
Jarno... will you ever learn? :D
Vorpal Effect

This is where it all started...I stumbled upon this and remembered how weird it was (at least for me) to see the Silver Sword cutting the head and killing in that way oozes, golems, mists, elementals, illusionary clones and so on. All those creatures should be immune to it imo.

At the IR forum we all agreed about those creatures mentioned above being made immune to vorpal effect. The debate was about dragons. Remember? :)
I guess I'll never have to. And did we agree? ;) As should you also remember this, and take note that this is the original message, and I quote myself now: ;)
Vorpal Effect

Even if I'd prefer to make Dragons immune to Vorpal effects I'll leave them out for now.

Thus for now the creatures I've made immune to it are: elementals, golems, mists, shadows, slimes, spectres, wraiths, and illusionary clones/creatures.

Yey, lets make a slime that has 30 hit points immune to this effect and not the dragon that has 600+ Hit points, for no reason other than balance. :)

Did you just lost your mind? As I just said, the effect needs to be somewhat realistic, and use-able, but not over powered and overkill! So no auto-kills, far better is huge damage output that should kill most, but every devils blessed creature on the game. This way the skeletons are non-issue.

So if the slime is immune(by damage resistance, not effect resistance) to slash damage, it won't be effected by the full 200 slash damage it's subjected to, but if it's not the most highest kind of it's creation(high level/high damage resistance), it should die cause it just can't take the punishment it's subjected to. The illusionary clones usually should be dispelled if you cut their head off, don't you think? It's not like it's the lich-demi-lich that it was made of, it's just an illusion.

Of course the 200 slash damage is just a suggestion that can vary to any amount you Devivrgvs wish to balance it to. DawidW might even have a good suggestion for it, cause he can then use the damage resistances, hit points and all that to further balance the dragons, and not get them instantly killed or not be totally uneffected by the effect cause that too is over powered.

Yeah, history is now, but you shouldn't go and rush to make ɟ up rules everyone is going to hate.

PS: Should you wsih to validate your quotation, you should also provide link to the original source. Like I have.

Yeah, history is now, but you shouldn't go and rush to make ɟ up rules everyone is going to hate.

There has been only one person that felt the need to post against those proposed changes. :)

All the others agreed, either indirectly or directly.

Yeah, history is now, but you shouldn't go and rush...
There has been only one person that felt the need to post against those proposed changes. :D

All the others? Hmm, so why would you then ask to make the Dragons vulnerable to the Instant Death? And indeed Ardanis... is just one person, but he is neither of us... unless he is you... plus Constantine agrees on some of our points. :)

And I suspect that DavidW didn't see the whole of the suggestion (about making the damage lower for some monsters, depending totally on what the coder makes out of it)...

As I say, the system of auto_death/auto_immunity can and should be improved!

Yeah, sorry for going a lot off topic.

Yeah, history is now, but you shouldn't go and rush...
There has been only one person that felt the need to post against those proposed changes*. :D

All the others? Hmm, so why would you then ask to make the Dragons vulnerable to the Instant Death? And indeed Ardanis... is just one person, but he is neither of us... unless he is you... plus Constantine agrees on some of our points. :)

* Demivrgvs' proposed changes to vorpal effect was to make immune the following creatures: oozes, golems, mists, elementals, illusionary clones. Then he was unsure about others and asked for feedback.

Sorry for the OT. I won't post more about this here.

Archived