[outdated] Bugs? Typos? Report them here.

berelinde

Guest Guest

It may be that I have a buggy install as I fond a few others (I'm the same person from above).

When I reported back, on one of the options (can't remember which one) there was a stray " at the end of one of the replies the PC had.

And once my party arrived at Brynnlaw, as they were talking to Saemon, I got one of those 'No valid replies' things. The NPCs that spoke after Saemon congratulated the crew were Jaheria and Korgan. Not sure if that helps figure out what is up there.

Guest actionrpg8k

Not a bug- more of a question. I am probably missing something obvious, but I am not sure how to progress the "good" option for my paladin chaname. I went to the government district, saw the cutscene where the two guys say they cannot get involved with ending the thieves guild, but know someone who can approach the player character. My problem is I don't know what to do after that. I went to the council building and radiant heart building, and can't seem to get more info. Help?

After about ten minutes real time, a messenger should show up, telling you to meet a person by the name of Aster on the second floor of the Five Flagons. If you've been inside a lot, it's probable that the timer hasn't expired yet. :)

Guest actionrpg8k

Okay- I did get the messenger, but I have Assassinations installed from another save, and that contact is on the second floor of the five flagons as well. I just assumed that it was for the "evil" mod, and ignored it as I am playing a paladin. Thanks so much for the mod btw- never made sense bioware didn't give a "good" option to get to spellhold.

Ah, that would explain it. I've never played Assassinations, so was unaware of the placement of that NPC. Let's just hope it's not in the same room. That would be really funny. :p

Glad you're enjoying the mod. That path doesn't offer a lot in the way of surprises, but if you're running a paladin, it should give your PC at least some satisfaction. :)

Guest Guest

I believe that Flan Brel from the Tsujatha mod spawns in that exact room in the Five Flagons, though I only played that mod once and that some time ago.

Well, there's only so many places to put an NPC. I was concentrating on avoiding conflicts with vanilla game behavior, which uses the other rooms on that floor. Ah, well, maybe Aster's got something going on with Flan Brel and nobody's talking about it.

Ah, stack 'em six deep, I say.

We'll see. Maybe next time I version up, I'll stick her down at the other end of the hall in the room with the weird wagons. But I'll have to put her on the side opposite Vhellon, or maybe I'll stick her in the big suite at the end of the hall.

Hello, I'm playing through BG2 with a straight fighter; my party consists of me, Minsc, Jaheira, Anomen, Aerie, and Nalia. I went to speak to Aster, who informed me that her assistance would cost me 15,000 before she'd even tell me what to do. Since I was short, I went and sold some stuff, came back, and she then asked me if I'd contacted her agent near the Shadow Thieves. I didn't even know I was supposed to go to the Docks yet. So I'm not sure exactly what the quest entails yet.

You don't even get the messenger to go see Aster until you've already been visited by Valen and Brus, so you would have had to have had more than 15K gold at one point.

Ah, gotcha. She shouldn't tell you what you're supposed to do until you've paid her, so that part is working, but she should at least give you a chance to come back with the money. I'll see what I can do to get you back on course.

OK, as near as I can determine, this is what happened.

You had more than 15K gold, so you got your offers. You spent enough gold to drop you below 15K, so you had to select "I don't have that much gold," and she said "Then I will wait here until you do."

You sold some things and returned to her with more than 15K gold. She said "We meet again, it seems. Are you satisfied now? Will you agree to the terms I offered earlier?" and you would have had to have said "I'm ready" rather than "Refresh my memory. What were they?" Saying "I'm ready" sets the global variabe, saying "refresh my memory" doesn't.

She said "Very well. My associates seek demonstrable proof that you serve the side of right, in addition to the coin I will collect from you now. The help of the Order will cost you 15,000 gold coins."

If you said "Very well, here's the gold," she would have explained what she wanted: wade in and destroy all the Shadow Thieves.

@126 = ~As you know, the Shadow Thieves have a strong hold over Athkatla. Extortion, slave-trading, murder, and torture number among their crimes.~

@127 = ~It is probably not possible to eliminate illegal activity completely within Athkatla, but cleansing the Shadow Thieves' base of operations would reduce it to the point that conventional law enforcement officials might be able to deal with whatever remains.~

At that point, you would have had a number of dialogue choices, but you would have heard what she wanted you to do. You would have had a number of dialogue options, but they all would have pointed to either of these lines

@142 = ~Splendid. I will send an associate, Harold, on ahead to brief you when you get there. The Shadow Thieves use an orange building in the Docks as their base. I'll look forward to hearing of your success.~ [b!ast_07]

@156 = ~If you are considering other offers, or more lucrative ones, you are likely to find the other doors closed to you now. I will send my associate, Harold, on ahead to brief you when you get there. The Shadow Thieves use an orange building in the Docks as their base. I'll look forward to your report.~

Since you didn't get this, I can only assume that you told her that you couldn't spare the gold, after all, at which point, she would have told you to come back when you could... except that she thinks you already accepted the quest, since you told her that you were ready earlier.

For the next version, I'll be clarifying "I'm ready" to say "I'm ready. Here is the 15,000gp that you wanted" and eliminating the ability to refuse to pay her later. As it stands now, it introduces an exploit, since it allows the player to take that route without ever paying her a thing.

You don't have to redo anything or revert to an earlier save. You've got the quest already, you just don't have to pay her the gold, after all. You are supposed to meet her agent Harald outside the Shadow Thieves' base (he looks like an Amnish guard) and he will unlock the door for you and give you a key to Aran's lair. Once you are inside the ST base, killing anything with a red circle should do the job.

Sorry about the confusion. It will be fixed for the next version.

OK, as near as I can determine, this is what happened.

You had more than 15K gold, so you got your offers. You spent enough gold to drop you below 15K, so you had to select "I don't have that much gold," and she said "Then I will wait here until you do."

So far, so good.

You sold some things and returned to her with more than 15K gold. She said "We meet again, it seems. Are you satisfied now? Will you agree to the terms I offered earlier?" and you would have had to have said "I'm ready" rather than "Refresh my memory. What were they?" Saying "I'm ready" sets the global variabe, saying "refresh my memory" doesn't.

She skipped this part and went straight to, 'Have you spoken with my contact at the Shadow Thieves guild', which is the only reason I knew where I was even supposed to go.

She said "Very well. My associates seek demonstrable proof that you serve the side of right, in addition to the coin I will collect from you now. The help of the Order will cost you 15,000 gold coins."

Nope, she never asked me for the money.

Since you didn't get this, I can only assume that you told her that you couldn't spare the gold, after all, at which point, she would have told you to come back when you could... except that she thinks you already accepted the quest, since you told her that you were ready earlier.

I went straight to a store to sell stuff, got sidetracked by the poisoned guy in the alley (take him to Rylock), then headed back to Aster with the intent of paying up and going ahead with whatever she wanted me to do.

For the next version, I'll be clarifying "I'm ready" to say "I'm ready. Here is the 15,000gp that you wanted" and eliminating the ability to refuse to pay her later. As it stands now, it introduces an exploit, since it allows the player to take that route without ever paying her a thing.

And my character's not even chaotic!

You don't have to redo anything or revert to an earlier save. You've got the quest already, you just don't have to pay her the gold, after all. You are supposed to meet her agent Harald outside the Shadow Thieves' base (he looks like an Amnish guard) and he will unlock the door for you and give you a key to Aran's lair. Once you are inside the ST base, killing anything with a red circle should do the job.

Yeah, that part I'm pretty comfortable with. Killing red circled thingies is a common enough occurence, so I've got a good rhythm going so far. But Nalia has demonstrated an extraordinary ability to not see or disarm traps. I might have to Shadowkeep her into a decent trapfinder.

Sorry about the confusion. It will be fixed for the next version.

I don't know if this is an issue, but apparently I'm now in Chapter 3; the quests I've picked up since talking to Aster (who assumed I'd paid her) have been under the Chapter 3 heading. Isn't there supposed to be some sort of dream sequence or breakout or something? At least a note that I've started a new chapter?

Usually, there's the chapter screen that has the ominous voice of the narrator telling you that help doesn't come cheap in the city of coin. Since both versions of that "text screen" mention either the Shadow Thieves or Bodhi, I couldn't use it.

Alternatives might have come out relatively recently, but I started it ages ago, before I really knew what I was doing with cutscenes or chapter screens, and Aster's route was the one I did first. I felt that a silent chapter change was better than one that didn't work. By the time I got to the part where you leave for Spellhold, I had figured out how to do chapter changes with text screens, but I forgot to go back and change the chapter 3 transition.

I'm still trying to figure out what happened in your game. You wouldn't remember the exact conversation you had, so I'm going to have to follow every possible dialogue path to find out where the problems are. I'll get it sorted out, but it may take a while. I don't have anywhere near the modding time that I used to have. In the meantime, you should be OK with your current game. Sorry you didn't get the explanation.

Since I'm going to have to redo most of Aster's dialogue, the next version will only work before Valen and Brus spawn for the first time. With that in mind, it's probably going to be much better for you to continue your current game than backtrack. With all the quests and whatnot in chapters 2 and 3, you won't want to be repeating that.

Archived