Some impressions

Guest grodrigues

DavidW, you might wish to rename the second prebuff option, to something like ~Quick after hostilities buffing.~ So it's not confused with not getting any buffs if the target is not created insight range. And puff, they came out of nowhere.

Right now if you have a mage protected by GoI, II, a spell turning and SI:D, you can spell thrust out the spell immunity and then true sight him.
Could some one rationalize me why I can't use Breach in this situation? :thumbsup:

Well, the spell turning might prevent the two first Breaches, but not the third.

See, the GoI makes the target somewhat visible, as it's in a freaking big balloon -hello-. And the GoI should also dispel all the other less than level 5 spells... making it Antimagic Globe. Just like the Improved Invisibility shouldn't affect Liches, -hello he it's protected from all spells bellow the level mark 6, just like the Arch Lich didn't cast any protection spells, other than the 2 once it has cause it's immune to everyone of them.

That's why everybody should dowload : :hm:

this.

(just don't set silly timing)

Well, you are using a beta that came out of this and other Imp-rovements... made by me.

Having the spellbook automatically refreshed makes the whole thing tactically much less interesting
Well with current jarno beta of Spell System Adjustment Mod, you can check the timing refresh for each level. Of course the goal is not to have time stop refresh instantaneously.
The technical reason for that is to not leave the player hanging on the stop because the Lich always recasts the Time Stop inside the other Time Stops... and the timing is(/can be/should be) set to progressive, so the level 9 mage spells refresh after the level 8 spells even if they are casted in which ever order. Unlike in the original mod, the first level spell would refresh the highest level spell the mage had memorized(I prevented this, by making the spell only able to refresh the same spell level spell).
Guest grodrigues

Hi all,

I should probably add a few more lines to justify my initial post. At heart, I am a powergamer. Although I always play good in all games -- hopefully, in real life too -- and in BG2 in particular (no siding with Bodhi, no slayer change, no evil paths, choose peaceful solution most of the time, no demon summoning, etc. yes I am a pansy goody two-shoes, sue me) I also take some not-exactly-good short cuts (most notably: rob the shops clean).

My own version of powergaming entails a few things. For example, I have no qualms in using the level 1 NPC mod to make an NPC just the way I like it, or ShadowKeeper an NPC and alter his stats somewhat, or cheat myself to one or two items. Did you know that there is not a single Remove Magic scroll for sale in all of Amn? Only Lazarus store has it. And while I install almost all SCSII changes to spells (the only exceptions I can remember are Greater Restoration and Melf's Meteors) almost no SCSII change to items is installed (probably, the only one that *is* installed is remove the invis power from SoTM). Even worse, I have installed some mods that supply some very powerful items like Weimer's Item Upgrade mod. I also have no problems in using the spells to their full potential. PI is way cheesy? PI it is -- although still within the rules (e.g. no multiple PIs via contingencies, etc.).

Being a powergamer, one needs a challenge. And thus the hardest option with full prebuffing for mages. Sometimes this leads to unbelievable or even right-down ridiculous situations (example: chomp Ulvaryl in the opening dungeon. The surviving battlemage *only then* raises all protections... wow, we must be *really* fearsome), but is a price I am willing to pay. After all, I *do* prebuff heavily and even have reload knowledge. I try to play fair, as if itwere the first time I was playing the game. This means basically that I enter in an ambush with only long durations, use Farsight all the time to justify prebuffing, etc. but of course I am not completely consistent (as Emerson put it, foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds).

As another poster put it, that mages are overpowered is somewhat inevitable due to how the game is made. With all the SCSII smarts built into them, doubly so. I was just airing my own sense at the disproportion it leads. When in any battle the first thought is, "disrupt wizard" or somewhere along the way "Oh, a fighter is hitting me. Shoosh, I am busy" there is definitely something imbalaced. This is also one of the reasons why, for example, I leave Carsomyr unchanged. It adds variety to the game, and I do not have to lean so heavily on my mage to dispel and kill other mages. I still remember one of the really true shocks I had when playing BG2. Start of Ascension: Imoen gets changed to the Slayer. No high-level mages in the party. Moment to recoup from the shock. Reload. Restart.

Archived