Family planning in mods [POLL CLOSED]

berelinde

Herbs: good idea/bad idea  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't believe in mandatory sex scenes *ever*. There should always be a way the PC can turn the NPC down without ending the relationship. I realize that some people believe that a committed relationship implies permission for sex, but I'm not one of them.

At the risk of repeating myself, though, if I implement this, players will have the ability to tell Gavin to deal with it himself and they'll never have to think about it again. So players who want the sex scenes but not the realism could just tell him it's his responsibility and neither he nor anyone else will never utter another word about it.

And Ardanis, I do appreciate your candor. Thanks for taking the time to register your opinion.

If this was for all mods, then I'd say probably too much realism. But for Gavin, and his back story, I think it makes sense and would be a welcome addition to that mod. Because of everything you've said about him, if it wasn't part of that mod it probably would be quite strange.

I like the idea of addressing contraception in the mod in a dialogue between Gavin and the pc or npcs. However, I don't like the level of realism in a mod that would require the purchase of items for the purpose. I also like to keep my inventory clutter down and I don't like items that only serve a storytelling function.

All that said, I think I would take the option of telling Gavin to handle it himself (pun not deliberately intended for once :thumbsup: ).

Personally I would be opposed to it taking up an inventory slot.

I haven't played Gavin, but if there's a backstory for it, it would be acceptable in general in my mind. Perhaps a dialogue option with certain merchants: "Hey, can I buy ____," then the code remembers that you have whatever it was.

One thing to keep in mind is that elves do not need this; they naturally have a vastly superior biological control to humans. In ToB, Aerie either wasn't concerned about it or it was a quite fortuitous event. I can look around and site some sources on that if anyone really needs me to.

However, I don't like the level of realism in a mod that would require the purchase of items for the purpose. I also like to keep my inventory clutter down and I don't like items that only serve a storytelling function.
That is correct, btw. Spamming stores with plot-related items doesn't exactly help to increase the sense of realism. It basically is like standing tall at the middle of square and yelling 'I'm a mod added item'. If those herbs can be used for something else, then it serves purpose for those unconcerned with consequences of having sex.

But in that case, why not simply to use already existing materials, like potions? It's not like party wouldn't have in inventory some of them already, though, so the point of shopping flies away. Well, I think you got what I tried to say :thumbsup:

I posted a list of potentially useful items that could be added one page up.

For the record, the item has already *been* added to the game, in the "Mira's Special Stock" component of Romantic Encounters. Nobody has complained about it, but that might just mean that nobody bought any. Besides its stated purpose, Mira's Spring Tonic gives a boost to constitution.

So no, this isn't a useless plot item taking up inventory space. It actually has a beneficial effect if used in game.

And once again, repeating the probability that if I do this, I'd be adding a dialogue option telling Gavin to deal with this himself. Doing this would not take up *any* inventory spaces (for any items, useful or useless) and would free the player from ever having to think of it again.

I posted a list of potentially useful items that could be added one page up.

For the record, the item has already *been* added to the game, in the "Mira's Special Stock" component of Romantic Encounters. Nobody has complained about it, but that might just mean that nobody bought any. Besides its stated purpose, Mira's Spring Tonic gives a boost to constitution.

So no, this isn't a useless plot item taking up inventory space. It actually has a beneficial effect if used in game.

Fair enough. I do remember seeing that in RE and I thought it was a nice idea. Was I going to buy any? No. I tend to a bias towards spells for buffing rather than potions. My playing style I suppose.

I also like that in RE it is effectively romantic or wanton fun without direct, physical, character consequences/changes.

Just an opinion, not trying to ruffle anything.:thumbsup:

Well, Phase 1 testing is done, so I'm closing the poll. As of this moment, the vote stands at 12 in favor of the idea, 11 against. Of the 3 who said "worst idea ever," I have to wonder how many would even play the mod in the first place.

So it will be like this.

The first time sex happens, no mention made. Assume what you want. After that, all intimacy is PC-initiated, anyway. If the PC has supplies in the inventory, nothing further to say. If not, he'll say they need to take some precautions. She can say "Your job", he'll say "right," and it will never be mentioned again by anybody. Or she can say that a shopping trip is in order, and he'll have to make her happy some other way. I expect that most people will opt for the hassle free "Your job" option, but that's why it's there.

The herbalists will have a variety of potions for sale, including some new ones based on the material I linked on page 1 of this thread. I can't do BAMs, but maybe some kind soul will help me.

So the decision is made.

Thanks, Dakk.

To be honest, the idea of adding herbalists to BG2 has really captured my imagination. The first time I played NWN2, I got into the idea of crafting. I liked having the player be able to make things. It would have to be handled a little differently in BG2, since the engine was never designed to allow this, but I think it could be made to work kind of like Cromwell's upgrades. The player could either have the herbalist prepare a number of useful items/potions or the player could buy a mortar and pestle and make them himself. The items that could be purchased/crafted would range from perfumes (bonus to charisma, penalty to stealth) to medicinal (slow poison, etc.) to grenade weapons (sleep gas). So while it might have started out as a plot device, we're well past that now. And more good news: I might have finally figured out how to create BAMs.

For the last votes still trickling in, it's too late. The deadline was Monday.

I think a LOT of people will play this mod. And I, for one, will play it for the multiple paths meaning I'll play it at least several times. Plus I just plain adore him!

Just because people don't vote doesn't mean they aren't here, remember. There are plenty of lurkers who are probably "stalking" Gavin. :thumbsup:

Archived