GTU Light

Wisp

"Fast asleep" maybe, but I really doubt "fast" is supposed to modify "became" in this context, or even that that's grammatically correct if it did. I read the whole string and "fast friends" makes a lot more sense anyway, in context.

Respectfully, I must disagree. "The two fast became friends" is definitely correct, grammatically. It may seem a counter-intuitive turn of phrase in contrast to modern English speech, but it's still valid (e.g., 'the book fast became a bestseller').

That said, I'm no linguist or grammarian; perhaps someone more well-versed can step in and confirm the matter with some authority. (Although, to be honest, "The two fast became friends" doesn't even sound peculiar to me.)

As to Miloch's suggestion, I think it's probably worth mentioning that, this being a light update, we should be careful about introducing dubious changes to strings. To change this string as you've suggested, Miloch, to "fast friends", you're essentially changing the meaning of the affected sentence: from Dramnek and Galloma becoming friends quickly, you've now got them becoming steadfast friends, instead.

That's a pretty fine line we're coming to, that of double-guessing developer intent. Or just blatantly bulldozing over it, take your pick. Neither, however, are appropriate to GTU Light, in my opinion.

If the sentence absolutely had to be altered, which I don't believe to be the case, the best-case solution would be to go with Wisp's original correction: "the two quickly became friends". At least then you'd be conserving the original message of the sentence.

[EDIT: Added quote, for readability.]

48890 @1048890 // retreive -> retrieve; "<CHARNAME> and his band" -> "<CHARNAME> and <PRO_HISHER> band"

I added "turnip beer bender"->"turnip-beer bender". I will try to look your second batch over tomorrow.

Re: Fast. From what I read "fast" can be used interchangeably with "quickly" in this context. But evidently it is debatable. Now I'm confuzzled and need to fix that with some nice, soothing quantum chemistry. (And unless someone can make a strong case for why it's wrong I'm inclined to leave it as it is.)

I added "turnip beer bender"->"turnip-beer bender". I will try to look your second batch over tomorrow.

Right-o. I'm wondering, what is your stance on correction of horrendously out-of-place spaces? It's become quite clear to me from reading through the various DLG files that the writers/editors used double-spaces to a great extent to punctuate sentences, as a stylistic choice. As such, I'm inclined to leave them be and refrain from correcting them in the future.

But what about triple-spaces? (Or worse.) Or superfluous spaces at the beginnings and endings of strings? Should those get the axe? [EDIT: Oh, and by this I mean should they be axed from strings already containing typos and such? Obviously, if we corrected all such instances of excessively redundant spaces, GTUL could become as bloated as its corpulent predecessor.]

"The two fast became friends" is definitely correct, grammatically.
The thing is, it doesn't make much sense they became friends "fast" as it definitely happened over an extended period. Even the second part of that sentence defines that, as does the following one: "The two fast became friends; master and apprentice. Galloma died before Dramnek's tutorage could be completed however and the youth found himself once more alone in the world." I doubt that speed was the defining factor of the relationship, but rather loyalty (hence "fast friends"). Yes, it could go the other way, but personally I think it's just sloppy typing. The punctuation alone reveals that (there shouldn't be a semicolon before "master" but rather a colon or comma; on the other hand, the "however" should be delimited by both semicolon and commas). Anyway, if it's "contentious" then fine - leave it.

Edit: struck "however" semicolon reference as it's not necessary with a conjunction.

Yes, it could go the other way, but personally I think it's just sloppy typing. The punctuation alone reveals that (there shouldn't be a semicolon before "master" but rather a colon or comma

I agree "The two fast became friends; master and apprentice" isn't very good writing. I'm wondering if this isn't starting to fall under not "revising Bioware's creative approach to English," however. Especially not when it plainly is contentious. There's a lot of poorly constructed text in the game, so this will have plenty of friends even after we're done.

on the other hand, the "however" should be delimited by [...] commas

Added. Thanks.

The thing is, it doesn't make much sense they became friends "fast" as it definitely happened over an extended period.

I understand your points, and I do actually agree that "fast friends" would contribute coherency to the string. (Although, I'm not sure where you get that "it definitely happened over an extended period." Who's to say their friendship didn't form quickly, or even immediately? That's speculation on your part. It may make more sense, but it's still speculation, nonetheless.)

The thing is, I just don't see the need for the change, especially since there's nothing technically incorrect with the original sentence. It may not be the most satisfying string in the talkfile—I mean, seriously, "In his loneliness he spent many hours alone"?—but I think a more thorough revision belongs in GTU Classic, or another mod altogether, like Demi's sometime-hinted-at Dialogue Revisions.

8559 @1008559 // "Hey, Anomen..step aside!" -> "Hey, Anomen... step aside!"

I don't think this is significant enough.

37386 @1037386 // neath -> 'neath

Are there any opinions on this: "is not a place where one garners respect, no matter how deserved they are of such"? It sounds like a switch of persons to me.

70254 @1070254 // Matching VO. "In private.  It is a matter of... greatest importance." -> "(In private.) It is a matter of, er... of greatest importance."

Too subjective, I think. Deciding what is and what isn't a whisper wouldn't be appropriate.

I included the rest (including #37386). Thank you.

I'm wondering, what is your stance on correction of horrendously out-of-place spaces?

I usually think it's a meaningless change, but in cases like "Sling +3 : 'Arla's Dragonbane'" I'm willing to make exceptions.

Things like voiced strings having a leading space is terribly prevalent and I don't think it's much of an improvement changing the few cases we muck around with for other reasons.

There is some of this in the GTUL already, but I've been meaning to go over it another time and stripping out as many of these pointless or arbitrary changes as I can.

since there's nothing technically incorrect with the original sentence

Well, Miloch is correct that the semicolon doesn't belong there; "master and apprentice" isn't an independent sentence (and I don't think it has any particularly relation with "the two fast became friends"). Maybe the text would benefit from replacing the semicolon with a comma or colon?

8559 @1008559 // "Hey, Anomen..step aside!" -> "Hey, Anomen... step aside!"

I don't think this is significant enough.

It is quite minor, true. I think my inner nit-picker will survive its omission. ;)

37386 @1037386 // neath -> 'neath

Are there any opinions on this: "is not a place where one garners respect, no matter how deserved they are of such"? It sounds like a switch of persons to me.

It would seem to be a usage problem, at least in the case of 'they'. I'm not sure how we could improve on the sentence, though. I suppose you could go with something like...

The life of a squire [...] is not a place where one garners respect, no matter how deserved he may be of such.

... but it still reads somewhat clumsily off the page, especially with the rest of the sentence included. Ugh, I'd probably err on the side of leaving it as is. What do you think?

70254 @1070254 // Matching VO. "In private.  It is a matter of... greatest importance." -> "(In private.) It is a matter of, er... of greatest importance."

Too subjective, I think. Deciding what is and what isn't a whisper wouldn't be appropriate.

Heh. Yeah, I had a feeling it was probably a little too dramatic.

Things like voiced strings having a leading space is terribly prevalent and I don't think it's much of an improvement changing the few cases we muck around with for other reasons.

Makes sense. You'd also run the risk of introducing even more inconsistency, I suppose.

Well, Miloch is correct that the semicolon doesn't belong there; "master and apprentice" isn't an independent sentence (and I don't think it has any particularly relation with "the two fast became friends"). Maybe the text would benefit from replacing the semicolon with a comma or colon?

Yes, I'd agree, a colon works nicely, there. That said, I've found the deployment of the semi-colon something of a subjective area. After all, we are speaking of the relation of written ideas, and their degree of relatedness; and, also, of the structure and flow of the sentence. I, myself, find "The two fast became friends" and "master and apprentice" complimentary fragments, and have no problem with the semi-colon.

But, as always, your mileage may vary. If you wish to go with Miloch's suggestion and correct it to something a bit more generally legible, I have no objection. I think a colon works best, in this case.

Here's another batch of strings, mostly focused on Aerie. No overlaps. Enjoy. ;)

gtul.tpa

9088 @1009088 // Matching VO. "came out in the night." -> "come out in the night."
15193 @1015193 // Matching VO. " I can't carry any more. I'm sorry, I dropped something." -> " No, I can't carry any more. Oh, I'm sorry, I dropped something."
18632 @1018632 // "she's a cute one, isn't she." -> "she's a cute one, isn't she?"
27546 @1027546 // reverant -> reverent
27551 @1027551 // mens' -> men's
27557 @1027557 // "If that is your wish, heretic, that I cannot promise your protection." -> "If that is your wish, heretic, then I cannot promise your protection."
27704 @1027704 // Aerie knows not whom she worships. "Baravar Cloakshadow" -> "Baervan Wildwanderer"
42985 @1042985 // "What kind of people are you!" -> "What kind of people are you!?"
48471 @1048471 // "more often then not" -> "more often than not"
48473 @1048473 // Capitalisation. "(hmm, I have to wonder what she'll be like in twenty years.  Maybe with my help...)" -> "(Hmm, I have to wonder what she'll be like in twenty years.  Maybe with my help...)"
48821 @1048821 // beyong -> beyond
48952 @1048952 // "Couldn't spare just *one* coin?" -> "Couldn't you spare just *one* coin?"
49925 @1049925 // sooth -> soothe
55653 @1055653 // miunderstood -> misunderstood
55864 @1055864 // Matching VO. "I don't want to be here" -> "I do not want to be here"
56081 @1056081 // Aerie is not well-versed. "Corellan Latharian" -> "Corellon Larethian"
58174 @1058174 // "but would I cross the street rather than walk by some of these... thieves." -> "but I would rather cross the street than walk by some of these... thieves."
58738 @1058738 // "How could you... How could you!!" -> "How could you...? How could you!?"
58989 @1058989 // "It... from a friend of Quayle's" -> "It's... from a friend of Quayle's"

// ToB

67956 @1067956 // "than I suppose I can do that." -> "then I suppose I can do that."
68081 @1068081 // Matching VO. "how you had to... to go." -> "how you had... to go."; "I... I understand" -> "I understand"
71320 @1071320 // "interested in you offer." -> "interested in your offer."
72576 @1072576 // hadly -> hardly

gtul.tra

@1009088 = ~ My...my mother used to tell me such stories about the terrible things that come out in the night.  But...oh, you must think me foolish...~ [AERIE20]
@1015193 = ~ No, I can't carry any more. Oh, I'm sorry, I dropped something.~ [AERIE39]
@1018632 = ~The girl they brought in, she's a cute one, isn't she?~ [CSCOW702]
@1027546 = ~Come, my children!  Fear the power of Talos!  Join us in reverent worship to avoid the disasters that are sure to strike us down in the days to come!~ []
@1027551 = ~Evil?  Is a hurricane evil as it thunders across the coasts with its wind?  The power of destruction lies in all men's hands.  We must respect its potency.~ []
@1027557 = ~If that is your wish, heretic, then I cannot promise your protection.  O bend your knees and pray, fool, that Talos will spare you on the day of judgement!~ []
@1027704 = ~I do not know what you mean...I have no plans to leave my gnomish lord Baervan Wildwanderer...I owe Him too much, sir.~ []
@1042985 = ~That's it? You're not going to help? What kind of people are you!?~ []
@1048471 = ~That's probably not something you want to think about too closely, Aerie.  Some parts of the world are very ugly places and more often than not the journey to them is a short one.~ []
@1048473 = ~Grow up, girl!  Must we endure your mewling every time you confront human nature? (Hmm, I have to wonder what she'll be like in twenty years.  Maybe with my help...)~ []
@1048821 = ~Raising... raising babies?  I... I just started seeing something of the world beyond the circus.  One step at a time is good enough for me!~ []
@1048952 = ~<CHARNAME>! Oh! Couldn't you spare just *one* coin? Hrmph!~ []
@1049925 = ~My dear, are you all right? I will soothe you as best I can if need be.~ []
@1055653 = ~I have seen the like of this place before all too closely. It is where they house those that are different, where the misunderstood are forgotten...~ []
@1055864 = ~This... this is the Underdark.  Oooh, I do not want to be here, I don't!  This place is death for my people!  I, I feel as if I'm going to suffocate here!~ [AERIEB7]
@1056081 = ~He... he seeks to actually join the Seldarine?  The elven circle of the divine?  But... Corellon Larethian would never allow it!  He *is* mad!!~ []
@1058174 = ~I know, but I would rather cross the street than walk by some of these... thieves.~ []
@1058738 = ~Yo... Yoshimo? How could you...? How could you!?~ []
@1058989 = ~Well, let's see.  I'll read it to you.  It's... from a friend of Quayle's, Raelis Shai.  Odd... I don't remember ever hearing of her.  But Quayle had a lot of old friends, I guess.~ []

// ToB

@1067956 = ~But if you feel that you need to accept this power... and that I have to let you go... then I suppose I can do that.  It will...hurt.  Just the thought of it makes me want to scream.~ []
@1068081 = ~G-good-bye, my love... I wish you well.  I will tell our child about you, and how you had... to go.  And why.  I understand, <CHARNAME>.  I truly do.~ [AERI2535]
@1071320 = ~I am glad to hear you say that.  Run along, young lady.  We have no one here interested in your offer.~ []
@1072576 = ~So young and eager... *sigh*  I can hardly believe that I was ever as naive and innocent as these three.~ []

58174 @1058174 // "but would I cross the street rather than walk by some of these... thieves." -> "but I would rather cross the street than walk by some of these... thieves."

Maybe I'm not familiar with the proper use of that expression but I don't see how the original sentence is less correct.

Anyway, I got some more strings by mooching off your fixes.

695 @1000695 //seperates->separates
1072 @1001072 //Corellan->Corellon
1320 @1001320 //"your are"->"you are"
6445 @1006445 //"your are"->"you are"
9253 @1009253 //"your are"->"you are"
12197 @1012197 //"then adds 50% bonus on top of this"->"then adds a 50% bonus on top of this", "If his strength is less then 18"->"If his strength is less than 18"
16336 @1016336 //seperate->separate
19505 @1019505 //seperate->separate
23422 @1023422 //seperate->separate
//altered #31592 seperates->separates
32410 @1032410 //"This creates a telepathic link between the caster and the undead allowing complete control."->"This creates a telepathic link between the caster and the undead, allowing complete control."
34719 @1034719 //"lead me to to it"->"lead me to it"
37291 @1037291 //"less then I expected"->"less than I expected"
39005 @1039005 //"yer around Aran"->"ye're around Aran", "more then a few"->"more than a few"
56083 @1056083 //"Corellan Latharian"->"Corellon Larethian"
56546 @1056546 //Jaheria -> Jaheira
57985 @1057985 //"Corellan Lotharian"->"Corellon Larethian"
57990 @1057990 //"Corellan Lotharian"->"Corellon Larethian"
62702 @1062702 //seperate->separate
66372 @1066372 //seperated->separated, "THAC0: + 4 bonus"->"THAC0: +4 bonus"
68364 @1068364 //seperate->separate
71511 @1071511 //"he cares about even more then his lifelong dream"->"he cares about even more than his lifelong dream"

Maybe I'm not familiar with the proper use of that expression but I don't see how the original sentence is less correct.

It's the "would I" bit that's egregious. Well, at least to my eyes. I also moved "rather" toward the front of the sentence, to assist readability. Gratuitous?

Here are the original adjoining strings, for reference. Hopefully the mistake stands out a bit clearer in full form.

Haer'Dalis: Now, my dear Aerie, there is nothing to fear. We are on the good path, the most appealing to the moral. There is simply the occasional shade of grey.

Aerie: I know, but would I cross the street rather than walk by some of these... thieves.

Lovely work with the mooching. It's nice feeling useful. I'll go over them when I get the time. ;)

It's the "would I" bit that's egregious. Well, at least to my eyes. I also moved "rather" toward the front of the sentence, to assist readability. Gratuitous?

The "I would" is necessary, as it's currently phrased as a question. Moving the "rather" is just good grammar.

Yep, what Dakk said.

I went through your most recent assortment of strings. Here's what I noticed...

You could also correct "Elven" -> "elven", here, for the sake of consistency.

Please, correct if I'm wrong—I'm still relatively new to wielding Near Infinity and modding, in general—but I think this PC response belongs to a state in Ano's interjection file that isn't linked to any preceding external state. I assume that means it won't actually show up, in-game?

12197 @1012197 //"then adds 50% bonus on top of this"->"then adds a 50% bonus on top of this", "If his strength is less then 18"->"If his strength is less than 18"

I've gotta admit, the "+original percentage" thing bothers me in this string. (Personally, I'd change it to "plus the original percentage".) Bah, I guess it's outside our scope, though.

Also, matching voice-over. "Aye...it is nothing less than I expected...I deserve nothing more, I suppose, after all my evil..."

Also: "propose to do join such ranks?" -> "propose to join such ranks?"

Also: "Elven Panthenon" -> "Elven Pantheon"

Everything else all looks good.

Yep, what Dakk said.

I overlooked the "would I" bit. Added.

You could also correct "Elven" -> "elven", here, for the sake of consistency.

There's plenty of "Elven" going around, so I don't know if it'd be much more consistent altering this one.

Please, correct if I'm wrong—I'm still relatively new to wielding Near Infinity and modding, in general—but I think this PC response belongs to a state in Ano's interjection file that isn't linked to any preceding external state. I assume that means it won't actually show up, in-game?

I typically stop my search if I see the string's referenced by a DLG file. But you're right: this state appears to be inaccessible (you can also reach states by an EXTERN from another DLG file).

I guess it's about time to check the entire GTUL. Pukarafic. At least it can be automated to some extent.

I've gotta admit, the "+original percentage" thing bothers me in this string. (Personally, I'd change it to "plus the original percentage".) Bah, I guess it's outside our scope, though.

Yes, I thought so.

Also, matching voice-over. "Aye...it is nothing less than I expected...I deserve nothing more, I suppose, after all my evil..."

I didn't bother mentioning it, but I guess I should.

Also: "propose to do join such ranks?" -> "propose to join such ranks?"

Also: "Elven Panthenon" -> "Elven Pantheon"

Added.

mithril vs mithral - do both of these words have different meanings? I always see them arbitrarily interchanged quite a bit and it bugs the hell out of me.

I guess it would depend on which imaginary material is referenced. But with 3 instances of "mithral" I think those can be changed, for consistency. Edit: seems like Mithral's how it's spelled in FR.

Archived