GTU Light

Wisp

Regarding the mithril thing, they're just different spellings. Mithril is the original one, from Tolkien. Mithral, apparently, is what is used in the Forgotten Realms, at least according to its wiki. (Which, I assume, is accurate.)

But, yes, as Wisp mentioned, the most prevalent spelling used in BG2 by far is 'mithril' (38 instances), as opposed to 'mithral' (3 instances).

[EDIT] Saw, your edit, Wisp. You want to use FR as a basis to standardise, then?

I think mithral is the copyright-safe hack (Tolkein estate likely had rights on mithril-with-an-i, same as with hobbit and other LotR tropes), but they seem to have been used nearly interchangeably over the lifetime of FR.

The "a" spelling should be official, but personally, I wouldn't bother. Mithral's only reason for existence would have been to not get sued in the 80s.

I'm actually inclined to think that either a) it's not the same metal, or b) mithril doesn't exist at all in FR lore/canon, which is immersion breaking.

Okay, okay, I'll fix it properly. Unless someone beats me to it.

At least, by changing it into "mithral" there won't be any complaints about deviating from FR lore.

But you really should pay the extra for some break-proof immersion the next time you're buying ;) (and I ought to get something less flip-flop-y).

Aw, Dakk, why'd you have to go and say that? 'Mithral' looks too silly, for my tastes. I was actually on my way here to post my preference, but I suppose my own personal preference isn't a terribly respectable basis on which to standardise the spelling. ;)

In the meantime, how about another batch of strings?

A few notes:

• I was a bit worried that correcting strings to account for voiced contractions (#426, #65123) might be going a wee bit overboard, but since the changes are objective I thought there'd be no harm in posting them. Besides, there is some precedent for this in GTUL, already (e.g., #4428).
  • I standardised the spelling of 'griffon' (18 instances) vs. 'griffin' (7 instances). The correction is also consistent with FR lore.
  • I've hyphenated the three (3) instances of 'griffon-baiter' which occur in Jan's banter with Aerie, as per its introduction in #662, and also for grammatical soundness.
  • The correction to #2208 overlaps with the current iteration of GTUL. The string, here, incorporates GTUL's current fixes.

gtul.tpa

426 @1000426 // Matching VO. "what it is like" -> "what it's like"
643 @1000643 // Nasty sentence construction. "Then the knight had ridden off" -> "Then the knight rode off"; Broke up second sentence with a comma.
662 @1000662 // "ex brother-in-law" -> "ex-brother-in-law"; griffin -> griffon
663 @1000663 // griffins -> griffons
666 @1000666 // "griffin baiter" -> "griffon-baiter"; griffin's -> griffon's
676 @1000676 // "griffin baiter" -> "griffon-baiter"
1362 @1001362 // Matching VO. "oh, I wish" -> "oh, how I wish"
2208 @1002208 // Matching VO. "My... My hands..." -> "My hands..." (Includes: Thank Baervar!->Oh, thank you, Baervan!, matches VO)
2595 @1002595 // Matching VO. "I never should have" -> "I should never have"
2904 @1002904 // Matching VO. "would grow" -> "could grow"
2916 @1002916 // "is it!" -> "is it!?"
2918 @1002918 // Matching VO. "You're" -> "You are"
2941 @1002941 // Matching VO. "I won't always be here" -> "I won't always be around"
3071 @1003071 // Full stop goes inside the parentheses. "arguments)." -> "arguments.)"
3083 @1003083 // Full stop moved in front of parenthetical sentence. "everything" -> "everything."; "four...)." -> "four...)"
3104 @1003104 // "cold.!" -> "cold!"
3293 @1003293 // Matching VO. "too unhappy" -> "so unhappy"
3330 @1003330 // "than just do it quietly" -> "then just do it quietly"
21333 @1021333 // griffin -> griffon
31049 @1031049 // Faenya-dail -> Faenya-Dail
31053 @1031053 // Faenya-dail -> Faenya-Dail
37172 @1037172 // Matching VO. "He...he's" -> "He's...he's"
39549 @1039549 // griffin -> griffon

// ToB

65123 @1065123 // Matching VO. "I am willing" -> "I'm willing"
68294 @1068294 // Faenya-Dael -> Faenya-Dail
68298 @1068298 // Faenya-Dael -> Faenya-Dail
69152 @1069152 // Faenya-Dael -> Faenya-Dail

gtul.tra

@1000426 = ~Aerie, dear, I see that you begin to become more confident in this world... which is undoubtedly quite strange to you.  You are learning what it's like to live and thrive here.~ [MAZZY51]
@1000643 = ~Then the knight rode off to save several small children from a wicked witch, also known as a noblewoman, who was attempting to poison the poor dears.  Regardless, Ano promptly cut off the head of the fallen giant, ran home to his home in the Dung Orc village and claimed that he had killed the monster.~ []
@1000662 = ~No need to be formal, lassy.  Call me Jan.  I was recently reminded of my ex-brother-in-law, Burt Wunderkind, fabulous griffon-baiter.~ []
@1000663 = ~Yes of course.  It's something of a cottage industry amongst Amnish gnomes.  Quite simple, I've heard.  You merely tame a couple of wyverns and WHOOSH, tear through the sky to fling insults at the hapless griffons.~ []
@1000666 = ~Of course, by then, Burt was such successful griffon-baiter that the authorities just couldn't find it in their hearts to make us leash the wyverns.  The loss of the noble class is truly a small price to pay to maintain the continuity of such a fine sport.  There's nothing like the look of incredulity on a griffon's face to keep one's spirits up.~ []
@1000676 = ~A... A griffon-baiter?~ []
@1001362 = ~My wings have been clipped...oh, how I wish you could understand how it feels to be bound to the ground, chained and weighted like a miserable prisoner of earth...~ [AERIE88]
@1002208 = ~My hands... my skin, it's real again! Oh, thank you, Baervan! Oh, we must find Quayle... and stop Kalah before he does any more harm!~ [AERIEC8]
@1002595 = ~I--I should never have let you take me from the circus! You're all heartless, every last one of you.~ [AERIEC4]
@1002904 = ~Oh, I wish they could grow forever! How could you ever leave such a place?~ [AERIE71]
@1002916 = ~Well it ain't good enough, now is it!?~ []
@1002918 = ~You are a filthy and horrible little man, Korgan! If he's--if he's still with us this time tomorrow, I'm going back to the circus!~ [AERIE60]
@1002941 = ~You musn't let yourself get so wounded, Aerie.  I won't always be around to bandage you, you know.~ [JAHEIR44]
@1003071 = ~What?  Oh, why, hello Aerie.  I, ah... don't do anything of the sort.  (No, now is not the time to make arguments.)  Why are you asking? ~ [EDWIN47]
@1003083 = ~I--I feel so... tired.  'Tis like I see two or three of everything. (I'm seeing four, definitely four...)~ [EDWIN51]
@1003104 = ~Well first they have to learn that they can have whatever they want if they just don't steal the covers when the nights get cold!~ []
@1003293 = ~I...everyone here seems so unhappy and severe...I am so unused to living this way.  In the circus, we always were cheerful.  Or, at least, Uncle Quayle was determined to be.~ [AERIE90]
@1003330 = ~(sigh)  If you're going to whine over every little thing, then just do it quietly, alright?~ []
@1021333 = ~A large shield inlaid with a golden griffon.  This shield, also known as the kite or tower shield, is a massive metal shield reaching nearly from the chin to the toe of the user.  It must be firmly fastened to the forearm and the shield hand must firmly grip it at all times.  Naturally, this precludes use of the shield hand for anything but holding the body shield in place.  Strangely enough, this shield feels unusually light for its size.

STATISTICS:

Armor Class Bonus: 1
Special:  +1 vs. Missile Weapons
Weight: 15
Requires: 10 Strength
Not Usable By:
Bard
Druid
Mage
Thief~ []
@1031049 = ~I can never go back to Faenya-Dail!  I could not face them without my wings!  Here I am, stuck like an insect crawling on the dirt...~ []
@1031053 = ~I can never go back to Faenya-Dail, never look another of my kind in the eyes again!  I could not face them without my wings!~ []
@1037172 = ~Who are you?  Oh, whoever you are, you must flee this place at once!  He's...he's killed everyone else who has come into this place, almost!  Oh, please run!~ [AERIE01]
@1039549 = ~This armor is the standard armor given out to griffon riders and other warriors who use mounted steeds.  It is lightweight but offers good protection, especially with the extra magical protections crafted upon it.

STATISTICS:

Armor Class: 5
Weight: 8
Requires: 6 Strength
Not Usable By:
Mage~ []

// ToB

@1065123 = ~Do you need me again?  I'm willing to take up the fight.~ [AERI2538]
@1068294 = ~No... no, it's alright, Anomen.  I probably should face up to the fact that I will have to return to Faenya-Dail one day.  To face them, if nothing else.  But certainly not now.~ []
@1068298 = ~That is cruel of you, Anomen.  If I return to Faenya-Dail one day, it will be because I am ready to... not because someone felt it necessary to bully me into it.~ []
@1069152 = ~Faenya-Dail?  A... a little bit.  I remember my mother, mostly.  I remember missing it so much in the circus that my heart ached.~ [AERI2527]

I'm actually inclined to think that either a) it's not the same metal, or b) mithril doesn't exist at all in FR lore/canon, which is immersion breaking.

Okay, okay, I'll fix it properly. Unless someone beats me to it.

At least, by changing it into "mithral" there won't be any complaints about deviating from FR lore.

But you really should pay the extra for some break-proof immersion the next time you're buying :( (and I ought to get something less flip-flop-y).

Aw, Dakk, why'd you have to go and say that? 'Mithral' looks too silly, for my tastes. I was actually on my way here to post my preference, but I suppose my own personal preference isn't a terribly respectable basis on which to standardise the spelling. :D

Haha I'm sorry.. I actually felt a bit dirty for pulling the lore-card! ;) ;)

And devSin is correct, "mithral" is the copyright safe way of saying "mithril" (and WOTC actually got a pretty sour letter from Tolkien inc.) - but it's the the actual name, in the same vein as it's called drow and halflings instead of dark elf and hobbits. So yeah, maybe a bit silly, but correct :)

Oh, and Wisp? Cheers mate! :laugh:

:D

#12029 - Minor Globe of Invulneribility

#26784 - confered -> conferred

I think mithral is the copyright-safe hack (Tolkein estate likely had rights on mithril-with-an-i, same as with hobbit and other LotR tropes), but they seem to have been used nearly interchangeably over the lifetime of FR.

The "a" spelling should be official, but personally, I wouldn't bother. Mithral's only reason for existence would have been to not get sued in the 80s.

ugh... why did those clowns have to borrow terms from Tolkien? :facepalm: Looks like they were riding the coattails off LoTR's success. And I've been programmed all these years to use mithril (in addition to the fact it sounded more 'cooler' than mithral). :)

It's like the time when you find out Pluto is not a planet... it just ain't the same anymore... :laugh:

I'm not personally opposed to changing the string because of a voiced contraction, but I'm not sure these meet the "clearly pronounced" requirement well enough to be unambiguous changes.

3071 @1003071 // Full stop goes inside the parentheses. "arguments)." -> "arguments.)"
3083 @1003083 // Full stop moved in front of parenthetical sentence. "everything" -> "everything."; "four...)." -> "four...)"

And while I'm flopping in the conservative direction, I'm not sure these and #8556 are meaningful enough. Counter-arguments?

31049 @1031049 // Faenya-dail -> Faenya-Dail
68294 @1068294 // Faenya-Dael -> Faenya-Dail

Apparently I forgot to actually fix these misspellings. Oops.

Added the rest. Everyone whose spirits are kept buoyant by the look of incredulity on a griffon's face thank you.

#12029 - Minor Globe of Invulneribility

#26784 - confered -> conferred

Added. Thanks.

Let me just start by saying that, in my heart, Pluto will always be a planet.

I'm not personally opposed to changing the string because of a voiced contraction, but I'm not sure these meet the "clearly pronounced" requirement well enough to be unambiguous changes.

Evidently, there is room for interpretation. :)

Now that you mention it, there is definitely some ambiguity with #65123. I thought the others were fairly clear, but they're not fundamental changes, by any means, and this is GTUL we're talking about. Rejection it is, then.

And while I'm flopping in the conservative direction, I'm not sure these and #8556 are meaningful enough. Counter-arguments?

Grammatical correctness? The parenthetical sentences I've outlined in strings #3071, #3083, and #8556 are complete and separate sentences, and thus their punctuation should be contained within the parentheses.

Consistency? In Edwin's DLG files alone, the usage of full-stops-outside-complete-parenthetical-sentences occurs only 7 times, while the usage of full-stops-inside-complete-parenthetical-sentences occurs 72-ish times.

... it looks horrible?

No lore card to pull, unfortunately. Oh, I know! It breaks my immersion. :laugh:

Everyone whose spirits are kept buoyant by the look of incredulity on a griffon's face thank you.

You're welcome, good sir. Thanks for looking them over.

I've been meaning to go through my first two batches of string submissions to reverse any spurious corrections to spaces I made. (I know there are quite a few of them.) So, I'll likely post those—and a few other accumulated corrections agglomerating on my machine—soon.

[EDIT: Clean-up, elucidation.]

I took a listen, and the first and third seem to be using contractions, but it's not absolutely clear. The possible inconsistency wasn't jarring. On the other hand, in the second string, I definitely heard Aerie say "he's".

No lore card to pull, unfortunately. Oh, I know! It breaks my immersion. :)

Oh, you should have said so in the first place.

Okay, they're going in (for consistency and maybe correctness).

I took a listen, and the first and third seem to be using contractions, but it's not absolutely clear. The possible inconsistency wasn't jarring. On the other hand, in the second string, I definitely heard Aerie say "he's".

I'll include #37172, then.

Alright, here is a re-submission of all fixes I've made, without spurious corrections to spaces. The only differences between the strings posted here and those in my original posts are those reversions. (With the exception of #9073, which was missing its accompanying WAV file. This has been corrected in the re-submission.)

gtul.tra

// Strings submitted on 2010-11-04

@1008242 = ~Loud noises at night have a startling effect on me to this day.  Perhaps this is a good thing, seeing as no creature can sneak up on a light sleeper.~ []
@1009073 = ~My conscience can allow me to be idle no longer.  In the name of all that is good, I accuse you of willfully committing acts of evil.~ [MAZZY69]
@1020254 = ~Unnatural...yes.  I struggle to understand the differences in magic that have been presented to me.  How do you feel about it, Jaheira?  Are they not all cut of the same vile shroud?~ [VALYGA62]
@1025515 = ~I see at last the serpent slithers out of hiding to reveal himself!  Come, then, fiend and prepare to be dealt righteous vengeance!~ []
@1032425 = ~The next rogue is Goshan, an assassin.  He is not limited to merely killing, but also uses strategic threats and... encouragement to pay for protection.~ []
@1048492 = ~Now ye're going to be hanging on every word that tree-hugging, flower-eating half-elf be saying?  Bah!  Ye're a yellow kobold, ye are.~ []
@1048890 = ~Ahhhh, I can see the bards singing it, now: the Quest for the Gong!  The life of a drunkard lies in the balance as <CHARNAME> and <PRO_HISHER> band of merry adventurers strive to retrieve fenced stolen musical goods from the depths of the sewers!  The passion!  The excitement!  It brings a tear to my eye.  (sniff!)  Not since Uncle Gerhardt went on a four-day turnip beer bender and mistook Uncle Scratchy for a griffon was I ever part of such a grandiose story.~ []
@1050038 = ~Excellent!  An adventure worthy of the name!~ []
@1056473 = ~There.  For good or ill, it is done.  I want to hear no reprisements, either.  It was my decision and mine alone.  Let us return to my father and tell him what has occurred.~ [ANOMENA6]

// Strings submitted on 2010-11-05

@1000642 = ~'Twas once a heavily brain-damaged orc called Ano.  Ano was trudging through the forest one day, looking for bull droppings with which he could stuff his mattress, when he happened across a remarkable scene.  A brave and noble knight, Jen the Brilliant by name, fought with an evil giant.  Ano watched as Jen slew the giant.~ []
@1000644 = ~Did I mention that Ano had a nasty habit of interrupting folk?  Anyway, the giant's brother heard of his sibling's demise and the subsequent display of his head in Dung Town.  He caught up to Ano, who was stupidly stuffing his mattress with bull dung, and returned to his cave with the orc stuffed through his belt.~ []
@1000645 = ~As punishment for his brother's supposed murderer, he tied a porcupine to the orc's head and proceeded to clean his latrine with the makeshift orc brush.  Much to the giant's dismay, Ano actually enjoyed it.~ []
@1008005 = ~I have been cowering at your feet for all my life. Goodbye, father. Perhaps I shall see you again before you drink yourself to death.~ [ANOMENB8]
@1008556 = ~(My condition draws fools like flies to honey.)  Silence, you idiot!  You've a death wish that is larger than your swollen head.~ [EDWINW39]
@1034953 = ~Then I would thank you to give me the benefit of the doubt.  You once told me you were a force righteous, and I have allowed the possibility no matter my occasional doubts.~ []
@1035120 = ~I agree with Keldorn.  Your Order must remain separate to maintain its purity.~ []
@1035183 = ~I...I do wish to apologize for so abruptly ending our conversation yesterday.  I meant no offense by it.~ [ANOMEN70]
@1035211 = ~Ah.  If Moira were to be placed in the same situation as your Imoen, I...I am not sure what lengths I would go to free her.  I would give my own soul, if need be.~ []
@1035408 = ~You must be confident that you follow the right path, Anomen.  If you follow your conscience, how can they refuse you?~ []
@1035415 = ~Because I do not know my own conscience, my lady.  I would not turn to others for guidance if I did...but I do thank you humbly for your counsel.  You are most kind.~ []
@1035760 = ~We are to rest, now, are we?  Well, that is good.  Come, my lady...I wish to speak with you for a moment away from the ears of others.~ [ANOMEN86]
@1035827 = ~Come, then, good lady.  Let us continue on your quest...we can talk more at a later time and I shall be free to compliment you at your leisure.~ []
@1035880 = ~I have been thinking of many things, now, as we travel.  I must admit that I never have felt happier and more content...and yet a week ago I would not have thought this even possible.~ [ANOMEN90]
@1036022 = ~When I first met you, my lady...there were many things that went through my head.  The possibility that you were not what you seemed, for instance.~ []
@1036086 = ~I am no priest, my former son...you'll not see me bowing before any altars!  Best be on your way before I get angry!~ [COR09]
@1068403 = ~I think my own place here is a part of destiny, as well.  I do not mean that in a presumptive way... I mean only that perhaps by fighting at your side I can have a small effect on our future.~ []
@1069993 = ~Perhaps this is not the best place for this discussion, my lady... but I must ask.  Does it not seem an injustice that even as you vanquish your enemies others instantly spring up to take their place?  Have you no regrets about what has become of your life?~ [ANOM2502]
@1070165 = ~I... I am not asking you to make a decision, <CHARNAME>.  I pray you never have to choose.  But I want you to be ready should that decision ever come.  I... I should speak no more of this.  You alone can decide the path of your future, when the time comes.~ []
@1070290 = ~ I... I want you to know that I will not stand in the way of your destiny, my love.  Our love is the most important thing in my world - more important than my family, my honor.  Even my childhood dreams to join the Order seem insignificant beside my feelings for you.~ []

Wisp, I'm not sure if you've already partially incorporated my original corrections to #9009, #19453, and #70254, but since I've got a better feel for what we're trying to accomplish now, and since my original fixes were far too drastic, I thought I'd re-submit these strings with more conservative changes for your perusal.

gtul.tpa

9009 @1009009 // Matching VO. "it's bleeding so much!" -> "it hurts so much!"
19435 @1019435 // Matching VO. "Your voice" -> "I... Your voice"
70254 @1070254  // Matching VO. "a matter of... greatest importance." -> "a matter of... of greatest importance."

gtul.tra

@1009009 = ~ I...I need some healing...oh, it hurts so much!~ [AERIE15]
@1019435 = ~Do I know you? I... Your voice is familiar, but I cannot place your face.~ [JAHEIRC2]
@1070254 = ~My love, may I speak to you?  In private.  It is a matter of... of greatest importance.~ [ANOM2508]

What do you reckon?

[EDIT: Clean-up.]

And here a few more strings, as well.

• For #8636, a colon or semi-colon could work here just as well, instead. I've just gone with the comma as the safest route.
  • The correction to #31345 overlaps with that of the current GTUL. The string, here, also incorporates GTUL's current fix.

gtul.tpa

3419 @1003419 // Missing full stop.
8602 @1008602 // Mis-spaced colon. "I've a question for you :"If a tree falls" -> "I've a question for you: "If a tree falls"
8636 @1008636 // Missing punctuation. "no house just emptiness" -> "no house, just emptiness"
9027 @1009027 // "You're a man who looks like they" -> "You're a man who looks like he"
9058 @1009058 // "Why you think" -> "Why do you think"
22280 @1022280 // Missing word. "Mae'Var will hunt me until he I am dead!" -> "Mae'Var will hunt me until he knows I am dead!"
26071 @1026071 // "If every old crone were murderers" -> "If every old crone were a murderer"
31077 @1031077 // "None of us has" -> "None of us have"
31149 @1031149 // Matching VO. "I...need" -> "I...I need"
31328 @1031328 // "It is I who love you" -> "It is I who loves you"
31345 @1031345 // Haer'Dalis with capital D ; "than you are not" -> "then you are not"
31697 @1031697 // Restored VO. [AERIEB1]
42987 @1042987 // "I hope it you choke on it." -> "I hope you choke on it."
43412 @1043412 // "being doing here" -> "be doing here"
44300 @1044300 // "they're lives are in danger." -> "their lives are in danger."
44850 @1044850 // "you breath air!" -> "you breathe air!"
44895 @1044895 // Matching VO / question marks.

gtul.tra

@1003419 = ~My comrades...fallen...my last breaths are of rage.~ []
@1008602 = ~Treehugger, I've a question for you: "If a tree falls in the forest, does anybody care?"~ [VICONI53]
@1008636 = ~You open the door and peer through but you see nothing. There is no room, no house, just emptiness, darkness. It is a bizarre thing to behold. You do not know what would happen if you stepped through.~ []
@1009027 = ~You're a man who looks like he could use a few extra coins. How about I pay you to let me in and you go get Deril? Good idea? Let's say, oh, 1000 gold?~ []
@1009058 = ~As for the child, it is around here somewhere. The servants feed it from time to time.  At least I think they do, I hear it mewling on occasion. Why do you think you are entitled to it? What do you intend to do here?~ [DERILX07]
@1022280 = ~No.  I only know what I overheard Mae'Var saying.  The fact that he knows I heard him means Mae'Var will hunt me until he knows I am dead!~ []
@1026071 = ~If every old crone were a murderer because some child said they were evil, there would be a decided shortage of crones! A funny thought, yes?~ []
@1031077 = ~None of us have ever had a choice, I suppose.  But I see no good that comes out of fighting and constant struggle.~ []
@1031149 = ~I...I need you to tell me what the worth of a life on the ground is.  Is there anything to compare to the freedom of living in the clouds?~ [AERIE99]
@1031328 = ~Can't you see, my dove?  It is I who loves you with zeal...it is my passion that yearns for you.  <CHARNAME> is a good man...but even he sees that my love is the love that is true.~ []
@1031345 = ~If you would resort to violence to prove your love for me, then you are not the man I thought you were! I... I love Haer'Dalis... I know that to be true, now.~ []
@1031697 = ~So...you are awake at last?  I have been...watching you sleep for some time, now.  It calms me, watching you...and it gave me time to think.~ [AERIEB1]
@1042987 = ~Alright, alright! Here's your damned gold. I hope you choke on it. Now leave me be.~ []
@1043412 = ~What would Calimshite genies be doing here in Trademeet?~ []
@1044300 = ~But there's no explaining that to folks, not when their lives are in danger.   They saw a druid during the last attack and would have stoned him to death had Lord Coprith not arrested him.~ []
@1044850 = ~You may as well ask to live without blood, or deny you breathe air! I am of you and within you; I am what you should have been!~ [PPBHAA02]
@1044895 = ~I am your instinct, yet you deny me!? Fight me within your own mind!? I should devour you! How do you stand!?~ [PPBHAA06]

Archived