Compiling GemRB for Windows Mobile

Guest Guest_David_*

Guest Guest_LaughingKiwi_*

Shake'n'scroll ???

I have started playing the original game again, trying to use only the mouse. The one thing I always disliked was the need to edge-scroll to follow the characters. I prefer that the camera follow the selected character. I could make this an option, but that is still a way down the track.

Another problem I struck was the need to select the characters in order to make them follow the leader, using the 1-0 keys. I think this could be acheived by a simple toggle of character selection when clicking on their portrait. A click-hold would be used to bring up their character sheet, or clicking the Character Sheet button would bring up the first selected character's sheet.

For pause, etc, there are always the buttons along the left side of the screen, but some actions can be mapped to the device buttons. Not all devices have all buttons though. My HTC HD2 doesn't have a d-pad, can't map the iPhone Home button, and WinMo 7 phones may not be allowed to map certain buttons. Best solution is to rely on soft (on-screen) buttons, since I am targeting touch-interfaces.

We already have camera following, but it is available (enabled) only in pst.

I'm unsure of the current syntax, but it was something like this, before the overhaul:

GemRB.GameControlSetScreenFlags(SF_CENTERONACTOR|SF_ALWAYSCENTER,OP_OR)

This line could be added to MessageWindow.py (somewhere in OnLoad).

For the actual syntax, look in the PST version of GUICommonWindows.py (OnLockView)

Guest LvDisturbed1

LaughingKiwi, any new info to share? Info seems to crawl slowly on these forums, and I would like more people to know about this. Maybe start a thread on Xda-Developers.com.

Well, so far I've tried out three different game platforms for device portability.

EdgeLib is too expensive (1500 Euro for a licence)

AirPlay SDK is too slow (seems to be geared towards 3D)

Antix GDK requires too much rework for an existing code base. Everything is in OpenKode, so the standard C/C++ libraries aren't available. For example, kdStrcpy is used instead of strcpy. I could use #defines to replace all the symbols, but I get the impression that there will be more to do than just that.

Final verdict: compile for each platform and create my own wrapper around OpenGLES. This seems to be best approach since the devices that this game could target will all support OpenGLES. SDL on iPhone and Android appear to "be some time away", and all I need is a simple 2D surface to blit'n'flip.

Pretty busy at work at the moment too. We have an international product release coming up so am concentrating on that. A beta version of GemRB mobile will still be a couple of months away as I can only work on it as spare time permits.

Guest Dmitry
Well, so far I've tried out three different game platforms for device portability.

Edge is free for non-commercial use. Application shows edge splash screen three seconds after start. Platform is included all features from commercial version. I using it for writing Symbian apps.

Sorry for my english :)

Guest Lvdisturbed1

Antix GDK requires too much rework for an existing code base. Everything is in OpenKode, so the standard C/C++ libraries aren't available. For example, kdStrcpy is used instead of strcpy. I could use #defines to replace all the symbols, but I get the impression that there will be more to do than just that.

Final verdict: compile for each platform and create my own wr

apper around OpenGLES. This seems to be best approach since the devices that this game could target will all support OpenGLES. SDL on iPhone and Android appear to "be some time away", and all I need is a simple 2D surface to blit'n'flip.

Pretty busy at work at the moment too. We have an international product release coming up so am concentrating on that. A beta version of GemRB mobile will still be a couple of months away as I can only work on it as spare time permits.

Well I an definitely not trying to rush you. I just want to spread word on this project and possibly get more people interested with the goal of getting more people willing to donate and/or help with development.Just having someone willing to work on this in their spare time is great news for me. If I knew anything about software development.I would help in this project myself, but I wouldn't know where to start learning without going to school for it, and I don't have the time nor money to go to college

right now(sad but true). For now I am doing well as a bartender here in Las Vegas, but it is a pretty demanding job believe it or not. Good luck with your international product, and I hope all goes well.

Final verdict: compile for each platform and create my own wrapper around OpenGLES. This seems to be best approach since the devices that this game could target will all support OpenGLES. SDL on iPhone and Android appear to "be some time away", and all I need is a simple 2D surface to blit'n'flip.

A fully working, iPad native port of GemRB?? I would be willing to donate to make this happen! Is there an official project page?

Lately iPad has seen a flurry of great emulators: DOS (DOSPAD), ScummVM nearly 100% OK on Sci32 games, SNES, full speed PSX... GemRB would be an awesome addition!

Baldur's Gates here I come....

Good luck!

Guest Arlechinoy

Any progress? It would be great to see the legends of rpg of iphone and ipad... Good Luck... Any site/blog/twitter page to see the progress?

Archived