Level1npc's installation via .bat?

Guest AndrewB

Is it possible to do this using an input.txt file with all of my pre-recorded settings?

In fact, excellent question.

I don't think it's possible at the mod's current development stage, but it is something to consider for a future version.

I don't think it's possible at the mod's current development stage, but it is something to consider for a future version.
Actually it should be possible already, it just involves a .txt file, and a TYPE command in the .bat... look at the BiG World Install.bat and the BiG World Installpack read me ENGLISH.txt .

It should be as easy as editing this:

%IFS%level1npcs%S%level1npcs%L%0%SK% 3 --logapp | %M%

%IFN2% %IFES%BGTMusic%S%BGTMusic%L%0%SK% 2 | %M%

To be like this:

%IFS%level1npcs%S%level1npcs%L%0%SK% 3 --logapp | %M%
setup-level1npcs.exe --language 0 --skip-at-view TYPE custom_input.txt | %M%
%IFN2% %IFES%BGTMusic%S%BGTMusic%L%0%SK% 2 | %M%

Where the custom_input.txt is the file that first has the component numbers, and then the inputs to each of the questions, one question per line.

Also, it might be a good idea to write down the questions and the possible answers to each one... in the forum.

Yeah, you can do it currently by feeding in your number selections in a text file. However, as a lot of the lists are generated automatically, you might need to adjust your selections if you ever change your mods (especially kits).

I tried to set something up that'd allow swapping between settings as easily as possible. With my extremely rudimentary .bat knowledge, I came up with the following.

First, generate a list of files containing your various selections. They could either be class-based or character-based, whatever floats your boat. Here's an example of one for a sorcerer.

Very Important: each file should consist of one number per line followed immediately by a new line, including a completely empty line at the end of the file.

Then, use an installer like the following to choose selections for each character:

set install=setup-level1npcs.exe --language 0 --skip-at-view --force-install-list 0
type NUL > npc_choices.txt

:: Aerie
set install=%install% 1201& type sorcerer1.txt >> npc_choices.txt

:: Jaheira
:: set install=%install% 1207& type fighter_druid1.txt >> npc_choices.txt

:: Keldorn
set install=%install% 1209& type inquisitor2.txt >> npc_choices.txt

%install% < npc_choices.txt

You'd change Aerie into a cleric by replacing sorcerer1.txt with the name of the cleric file you'd like to use. Lines preceded by :: are commented out, so in this case the Jaheira component would be skipped entirely.

So, hang on, let me see if I'm understanding this right. Is this...

set install=setup-level1npcs.exe --language 0 --skip-at-view --force-install-list 0
type NUL > npc_choices.txt

:: Jaheira
:: set install=%install% 1207& type fighter_druid1.txt >> npc_choices.txt

:: Keldorn
set install=%install% 1209& type inquisitor2.txt >> npc_choices.txt

%install% < npc_choices.txt

the content of the npc_choices.txt file or just the block in the .bat that does the installing? Supposing it's just the install lines that get inserted into the .bat, what would the npc_choices.txt file look like?

Yes, the big block of code is the stuff that goes in a .bat. npc_choices.txt is just a temporary file generated by the .bat that contains the choices for all NPCs appended one after the other. The choices for each NPC are controlled by two things:

1) Their entry in the .bat:

2) And the contents of that file:

The idea behind this is you can generate files many files like sorcerer1.txt and then easily swap between them just by altering the .bat. Also, it's easier to modify than a long list of numbers detailing the choices for all NPCs.

Here's some stuff I didn't explain:

At the moment, only component 0 and NPC components get installed. If you want to install component 3 "Joinable NPCs more closely match the player character's experience?" then you'll need to add it to the list:
set install=setup-level1npcs.exe --language 0 --skip-at-view --force-install-list 0 3

The same thing goes for component 1 "Tweak weapon proficiencies for some classes (a la Ashes of Embers and aVENGER's Rogue Rebalancing?" except it has its own set of options like the NPCs, so you'd be better off adding it like this:

set install=%install% 1& type weapon_profs.txt >> npc_choices.txt
With weapon_profs.txt containing your choices for the component. (It should go after the line 'type NUL > npc_choices.txt'.)

Since I didn't explain this part either, the number 1201 in Aerie's line in the .bat corresponds to her component number in the mod, so when you add the other NPCs, in place of that you'll need to use their component numbers. Here they are for reference.

1201 // Aerie

1202 // Anomen Delryn

1203 // Cernd

1204 // Edwin Odessiron

1205 // Haer'Dalis

1206 // Imoen

1207 // Jaheira

1208 // Jan Jansen

1209 // Keldorn Firecam

1210 // Korgan Bloodaxe

1211 // Mazzy Fenton

1212 // Minsc

1213 // Nalia De'Arnise

1214 // Valygar Corthala

1215 // Viconia De'Vir

1216 // Yoshimo

1217 // Sarevok

1218 // Ajantis Ilvastarr

1219 // Alora

1220 // Branwen

1221 // Coran

1222 // Dynaheir

1223 // Eldoth Kron

1224 // Faldorn

1225 // Garrick

1226 // Kagain

1227 // Khalid

1228 // Kivan

1229 // Montaron

1230 // Quayle

1231 // Safana

1232 // Shar-Teel Dosan

1233 // Skie Silvershield

1234 // Tiax

1235 // Xan

1236 // Xzar

1237 // Yeslick Orothiar

The last thing to note is that since the list has both BG1 + BG2 NPCs on it, if you're not installing on BGT/Tutu, you shouldn't include the BG1-only NPCs in your list, or it will mess up your options for the other NPCs.

I see. Grateful for the help Mike, thanks! :) Very helpful.

I've already done something like this myself.

See below :

I'm using a .bat file with my setup-level1npcs.exe, see below for its contents :

type LevelOneNPC.txt | setup-level1npcs.exe

and i've got a LevelOneNPC.txt too

REM=====GLOBALINSTALL
N
A
I
N
I
REM======AERIE : Cleric / Mage / Sling + / Staff +
I
REM======AJANTIS Cavalier / Bastard Sword ++ / One hand & Shield ++
I
REM======AIORA Thief / +20 Detect Trap / +20 Picklock / Short Sword + / One weapon style +
I
REM======ANOMEN Fighter / Mace ++ / Warhammer ++
I
REM======BRANWEN Cleric / Mace + / Flail +
I
REM======Cernd Shapeshifter / Staff + / Club +
I
REM======Coran Fighter / Thief / +20 Detect Trap / +20 Picklock / Long Sword ++ / Long Bow ++
I
REM======Dynaheir Sorcerer / Darts + / Magic Missile & Armor
I
REM======Edwin Conjurer / Sling +
I
REM======Eldoth Bard / Long Sword + / Short Bow +
I
REM======Faldorn Avenger / Club + / Scimitar +
I
REM======Garrick Buffon/ Short Sword + / Crossbow +
I
REM======Haer'Dalis Blademaster / Short sword + / Bastard Sword +
I
REM======Imoen Slabuckler / +20 Detect traps / +20 Pick locks / Short Sword + / Two Weapon Style +
I
REM======Jaheira Fighter/Druid / Clubs ++ / Staves ++
I
REM======Jan Thief/Illusionist / +20 Detect traps / +20 Pick locks / Crossbow + / Dagger +
I
REM======Kagain Fighter / Axes ++ / Flail ++
I
REM======Keldorm Inquisitor / Two handed swords ++ / Crossbows ++
I
REM======Khalid Fighter / Longswords ++ / One handed & Shield weapon style ++
I
REM======Kivan Archer / Racial Enemy : Ogre / Longbow ++ / Halberd + / Spear +
I
REM======Korgan Berzerker / Axe ++ / Warhammer ++
I
REM======Mazzy Fighter / Short Sword ++ / Short Bow ++
I
REM======Minsc Ranger / Racial Enemy : Vampires / Two handed swords ++ / Longbow ++ / Keep Boo / Keep headwound rage
I
REM======Montaron Assassin / +20 Hide in shadows / + 20 move silently / Short Sword + / Dagger +
I
REM======Nalia Sorcerer / Sling + / Magic Missile & Armor
I
REM======Quayle Cleric/Illusionist / Staff + / Sling +
I
REM======Safana Thief / Dagger + / Short Bow +
I
REM======Sarevok Fighter / Two Handed Swords ++ / Two Handed Weapon Style ++
I
REM======Shar-Teel Berzerker / Long Swords ++ / Axes ++
I
REM======Skie Blademaster / Long sword + / Bastard Sword +
I
REM======Tiax Cleric/Thief / +20 pock locks / +20 detect traps / Staff + / Mace +
I
REM======Valygar Stalker / Racial Enemy : Golems / Katanas ++ / Scimetars ++
I
REM======Viconia Cleric / Mace + / Sling +
I
REM======Xan Fighter/Enchanter / Short Swords++ / One Handed Weapon Style ++
I
REM======Xzar Necromancer / Daggers +
I
REM======Yeslick Cleric/Fighter / Warhammer ++ / Flail ++
I
REM======Yoshimo Bounty Hunter / +40 Set traps / Katana + / Short Bow +
I

you wouldn't happen to know how Level1npc's generates it's lists for class/kit/proficiencies and all that, would you? It'd be nice to know where these are coming from, so I can tweak it as I please without having to pre-record all the responses beforehand.

Classes are hardcoded; you can look them up (most of them) in class.ids.

The info for kits and weapon proficiencies is pulled dynamically from whatever you have in kitlist.2da and weapprof.2da at install time. So there's no static list for you to refer to, unless you only intend to install exactly the same mods in exactly the same order each time you run the batch script. If you are installing only the same kit mods/weapon proficiency tweaks, you can either keep a record of your numeric choices during one install (somewhat tedious) or open the relevant .2da files with Near Infinity and count down the rows by hand (also tedious).

This is likely to prove a nuisance for automated installation, sorry. Unfortunately, there wasn't another way to implement full player choice among any mod you might or might not have combined together for your current game.

Way back when, I toyed with and discarded the idea of having the mod generate a text dump of all that info for easier .bat programming, but I'd not thought it'd make writing your own significantly easier than just looking the values up via a couple double clicks in your favorite editor - and the amount of IE editing savvy required is pretty much the same.

Classes are hardcoded; you can look them up (most of them) in class.ids.

The info for kits and weapon proficiencies is pulled dynamically from whatever you have in kitlist.2da and weapprof.2da at install time.

yep, that's what I was lookin for. Thank you :)

This is likely to prove a nuisance for automated installation, sorry. Unfortunately, there wasn't another way to implement full player choice among any mod you might or might not have combined together for your current game.

I figured so, but I don't mind. I can't really expect anything more out of it, given the level of customization and modularity it provides (although, one can hope to someday be able to change Mod NPCs :p )

edit: and it appears Lol's kit guide describes how to do that too. Fantastic. I guess the only way this mod could possibly be better is if it supported Dual Classing.

Archived