[OS X] Unable to install BG2 Fixpack

Guest tom96

That OSX-bg2_fixpack-v9 folder shouldn't be there. Try moving its contents up a level to your BGII - SoA directory.

Okay, so I moved the contents up into the BGII - SoA folder (see: http://imgur.com/sCESI to make sure I did it right), but the problem is the same:

Last login: Fri Sep 17 13:26:55 on ttys001

/Users/CharlesClark/BGII\ -\ SoA/setup-bg2fixpack ; exit;

charles-clarks-macbook-pro:~ CharlesClark$ /Users/CharlesClark/BGII\ -\ SoA/setup-bg2fixpack ; exit;

[/users/CharlesClark/BGII - SoA/setup-bg2fixpack] WeiDU version 21300

ERROR: Cannot perform auto-update, going ahead anyway!

Sys_error("setup-bg2fixpack: No such file or directory")

** ERROR ** [sETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2] not found.

Make sure that you have unpacked the archive correctly and

that you are not trying to run this file from inside an archive.

ERROR: Unable to find CHITIN.KEY in:

../..

../../..

../../../..

/BGII - SoA

FATAL ERROR: Failure("Unable to find CHITIN.KEY: run me in an Infinity Engine game directory")

Press ENTER to exit.

Well, the main problem is that the Setup-BG2Fixpack.command file contains CR's (MacOS9 line endings) instead of Unix/MacOSX LF's. The other thing is in your last attempt, you double-clicked Setup-BG2Fixpack instead of the .command file which runs the program in your home directory instead of your BG2 folder. The simplest fix is ignore the .command file and:

1) Run Terminal. It's probably already running, but if it isn't it is found in /Applications/Utilities.

2) Type: cd drag-and-drop-your-BG2-directory-then-press-Return

3) Type: ./Setup-BG2Fixpack

If you want to fix the .command file, do this:

1) Run Terminal.

2) Type: sed -i .bad $'s/\r/\\\n/g' drag-n-drop-the-.command-file-then-Return

3) Double-click Setup-BG2Fixpack.command

Be sure to put a space before anything you drag-and-drop.

Is it possible to play and mod the game if you're using OS 9?
Yes and no, respectively. (I can't remember if IRE had a classic build; I doubt anybody used it even if it did in any case.)

Some day, I may actually check the Mac fixpack releases and make sure they actually work (and package them more friendly for Mac OS X). I think I say that with every release, so there it is for v9.

BG2 runs in Mac OS X (SoA was two apps, one for Mac OS 9 and one for Mac OS X, and ToB is a single binary for both).

So it's simply translated automatically on an Intel Mac, same as all other compatible PPC software (I imagine they'll someday discontinue support for Rosetta altogether, assuming Apple doesn't just exit the traditional computer business for greener pastures before then, but it works well enough for now).

Guest TestDummy

I can't get any of the fixes to work for installing mods, and then I ran into an even bigger problem: whenever I try to run ToB, it unmounts all images, ejects any CD in the drive, and tells me that there's no CD in the drive and to insert the expansion CD. If I do, it ejects it and keeps the message. Oddly, it will run SoA just fine with the same ToB CD that it rejects for ToB. Any idea what's going on?

2.5 Ghz Macbook Pro, OS 10.6.4. I've also tried this with a Leopard backup, same problem.

Then, assuming I can get this hammered out, is getting mods running any less painful in Leopard? Tiger? At what point did permissions start becoming a huge pain?

When I try to run setup-bg2fixpack.command, I get the following error message:

Wills-Computer:~ willhigs$ /Users/willhigs/Documents/BGII\ -\ SoA/setup-bg2fixpack.command ; exit;

/Users/willhigs/Documents/BGII - SoA/setup-bg2fixpack.command: line 3: ./setup-bg2fixpack: No such file or directory

logout

[Process completed]

I've tried all of the previously suggested fixes without success. For some reason when I extract the files, I only get two: setup-bg2fixpack.command and the bg2fixpack. The file setup-bg2fixpack seems to be missing entirely. I figure this must be a problem with either the source file or something is going wrong during the extraction. Anyone know what's going on?

Guest Guest - OSX user

Wills-Computer:~ willhigs$ /Users/willhigs/Documents/BGII\ -\ SoA/setup-bg2fixpack.command ; exit;

/Users/willhigs/Documents/BGII - SoA/setup-bg2fixpack.command: line 3: ./setup-bg2fixpack: No such file or directory

logout

[Process completed]

I've tried all of the previously suggested fixes without success. For some reason when I extract the files, I only get two: setup-bg2fixpack.command and the bg2fixpack. The file setup-bg2fixpack seems to be missing entirely. I figure this must be a problem with either the source file or something is going wrong during the extraction. Anyone know what's going on?

Hi, I'm having the exact same issues -- I am also missing that "setup-bg2fixpack" file (only 2 items extracted instead of 3). I see a "setup-bg2fixpack.tp2" in the "bg2fixpack" folder itself but moving this out to the BGII - SOA directory does not solve the issue.

Is the packaged download missing a file?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Guest Guest - OSX user

logout

[Process completed]

Hey, I think I might have (finally) figured it out:

(1) just copy the missing file from another mod (similarly labeled as "setup-XXXXX")

(2) then re-name it as "setup-bg2fixpack")

(3) Move all 3 files into your BGII - SOA folder:

a. setup-bg2fixpack.command

b. setup-bg2fixpack (newly copied & renamed)

c. bg2fixpack (main file folder)

(4) Double-click "setup-bg2fixpack.command"

And that should do it! (It's installing for me right now).

Hope this helps!

Hey, I think I might have (finally) figured it out
Yeah, that looks about right.

Whoever's maintaining this mod might want to update the Mac install section in the readme to something more along the lines of Level 1 NPCs, i.e. change this:

Mac OS X

If the mod was previously installed, uninstall it before extracting the new version. The BG2 Fixpack is packaged and installed with WeiDU. To install, simply extract the contents of the mod into your BG2 folder. If properly extracted, you should have a bg2fixpack folder, setup-bg2fixpack, and setup-bg2fixpack.command in your BG2 folder. To install, simply double-click Setup-bg2fixpack.command and follow the instructions on screen.

To this:
Mac OS X

If the mod was previously installed, uninstall it before extracting the new version. The BG2 Fixpack is packaged and installed with WeiDU. To install, simply extract the contents of the mod into your BG2 folder. You can extract files from the archive using 7-Zip, WinRAR, ZipGenius or another file compression utility that handles .rar files. On successful extraction, there should be a bg2fixpack subfolder in your game folder. Download the OS X version of WeiDU (or copy another mod's launcher) and rename it setup-bg2fixpack. Put this and the setup-bg2fixpack.command file within the bg2fixpack subfolder in your main game folder. To install, double-click on setup-bg2fixpack.command and follow the instructions on screen.

(Add links and formatting where relevant.)

Yeah, I like how it suggests that list of Windows-only software to extract the mod in Mac OS X...

Anyway, the executable is supposed to be there, but it somehow went missing. cmorgan is deservedly carousing for the holidays, so it may be a bit before a fixed package is available.

As noted, in the meantime, you can simply download the current Mac version of WeiDU and rename the "weidu" executable to "setup-bg2fixpack" and move it into your Baldur's Gate II folder. Installation should then proceed normally when you double-click the .command file.

Archived