[OS X] Unable to install BG2 Fixpack

Guest tom96

Yeah, I like how it suggests that list of Windows-only software to extract the mod in Mac OS X...
Actually, the "extraction" instructions (yes some folks don't know how) should be in the general OS-independent section (it is in the Aurora readme anyway, which is probably where I copied it from, if I was the one who did it). Except G3 packages their Win mods as .exe files for some freakish reason (to be fair, so does PPG I think) so evidently it ended up in the Mac section. I guess we could add an UnRarX link or whatever you folks use to extract files on your overpriced OS. If anyone cares.

Frankly though, I don't know why G3 or anyone else bothers with separate OS-tailored packages anymore. It's easy enough to install it on Mac or Linux, provided it has the provisional support available already, as the 3 posts above reiterate. Sure, it might be marginally more convenient for the Mac player, but it's triple the maintenance for the modders and admins.

Guest Guest - OSX user

Hi Miloch,

Thanks for your response and clarification (and thanks to DevSin, too) -- that's probably where I got the idea from reading one of the many ReadMes and then noticing that all the other mods I'd installed recently included the same-looking file under a slightly different name. (I was going to just skip the BG2Fixpack for the time being).

You mentioned that making a separate OSX version is unnecessary -- so is there a way for me to convert most Windows-packaged mods so they can be installed on my (overpriced lol) Mac? If so, how is this done? Thanks for your help!

Guest Guest - OSX user

Um, please disregard that last -- I just figured it out from your previous posts. (I just made the new "setup-XXXX" WEIDU file, and then launched directly from the Terminal per DevSin's instructions to someone else above).

I should experiment just a little more before posting.

Archived