Familiars with other classes

sirthaddeus

Is it possible to use familiars with other classes?

What advice does anyone have to be able to use a familiar with other classes?

ie. I am wanting to use the ferret familiar with my thief to increase pick pocketing and trap finding.

Also, would it be possible to create other familiars with their own abilities?

If so, is it possible to use animals that are in the game; bears, dogs, sea gulls, eagles?

What about interaction with the familiar?

I am some what new to modding IE was curious about this.

Thanks in advance!

ps: I am wanting this to work for BG1 with Tutu (BG1NPC installed of course)

Is it possible to use familiars with other classes?
Yes, they only have to be able to cast a spell that adds a familiar to them... it's behind a lot of moding though. As first you have to decide what rules you are going with... then implement it which can be as easy or as hard you wish it to be.

Also, would it be possible to create other familiars with their own abilities?
Yes.

If so, is it possible to use animals that are in the game; bears, dogs, sea gulls, eagles?
Well, the game doesn't specifically have a bear, dog etc. it does have different creatures that have different animation files in use that make the creature look like the said creature type, but if the dog and the bear have the same abilities, they will do the exact same things.

I wouldn't recommend the use of the birds as the animations will look horrible and the movement will give you horrible AI bugs.

What about interaction with the familiar?
The creatures assigned to be the familiars have their own dialog lines and so they can be custom made as much as you like.

ps: I am wanting this to work for BG1 with Tutu (BG1NPC installed of course)
Actually you'll be doing it to a BG2 engine that simulates the BG1 with the Tutu conversion. The question is, is it the BG1Tutu, or the EasyTutu? The former is mothball aged and in need of update... especially when compared to EasyTutu, although the EasyTutu is English-only or the BGT(-WeiDU).
The creatures assigned to be the familiars have their own dialog lines and so they can be custom made as much as you like.

Best to possibly copy/paste and edit dialog of current familiars to make my own?

Actually you'll be doing it to a BG2 engine that simulates the BG1 with the Tutu conversion. The question is, is it the BG1Tutu, or the EasyTutu? The former is mothball aged and in need of update... especially when compared to EasyTutu, although the EasyTutu is English-only or the BGT(-WeiDU).

I will be using EasyTutu by the way. So would I need to have it installed to create the familiar along with any other items I plan to make?

What about other mods, they need to be installed as well?

I plan to use Near Infinity and DLTCEP, right tools to use for the familiar edit/creation?

I also plan to make a number of items, add some items to stores/areas of game, and possibly a talking item.

Best to possibly copy/paste and edit dialog of current familiars to make my own?
Well, the best way to start is to learn the basics and how to make a dialog file for a creature... NPC tutorial. Then use the info to find out the familiar dialogs and extract them(in Near Infinity, you can extract the dialog as a .d -file), and then rename and modify them to the best of your abilities, and use the WeiDU installer to install them.

I will be using EasyTutu by the way. So would I need to have it installed to create the familiar along with any other items I plan to make?

What about other mods, they need to be installed as well?

Well, it depends on how you are going to make the casting happen, and especially how the 'familiar mods' installation is made...

As you basically just need a spell that summons the creature you wish to drag along... the rest is up to you. You can make a dialog that makes the creature join the group as a 'familiar'/Summoned creature/etc. or make the spell that summons the creature make the joining happen automatically...

I plan to use Near Infinity and DLTCEP, right tools to use for the familiar edit/creation?
They do get you started, but if you want to make the mod an installable, you need to use the WeiDU(WeiDU.exe renamed as setup-*modname1*.exe with a setup-*modname1*.tp2 to code the command actions that extend the game resources).

I also plan to make a number of items, add some items to stores/areas of game, and possibly a talking item.
The talking item is a horrible/'hardest to make well' idea, but the others are easy to make with WeiDU, you just need the basic files made with the DLTCEP, then the item description in a .txt file, you just add a few lines to the .txt file, rename it as the setup-*modname*.tp2 file and you have an installer...

But the question is; Do you have a tutorial that explains all that? The WeiDU readme explains all that in intimate detail but it definetly will fly over ones head if you don't know what you are searching for... so start with the NPC Tutorial.

Rangers and thieves both get unique followers at higher levels in PnP. Fighters can attract an army too, though that might be a bit imbalanced in game terms unless you toned it down a bit (or implemented a battlefied/conquest type of mod heh). I always thought that would make a good mod - it would be fairly easy to implement via spell. Dialogue of course would be a pain if you actually wanted to have any meaningful discourse with them, but screw that! It should be limited to "Go kill that thing!" or "Pick that persons pocket!" Otherwise you'll end up making a multi-NPC mod and that'll never get finished. Use DLTCEP to make the creatures or customise them from existing ones, not NI or they'll get hosed.

Archived