Female romance conflict

Guest Lilyana

Guest Lilyana

Hi,

I've been juggling all 3 romances (plus Gavin) at once, in hopes of seeing the romance conflict quest. What exactly triggers it? Xan is already at the point of confession, Ajantis romance has stalled because I lack one reputation point, and Coran is at LT7. Do I need to get all of them to a certain point to get the conflict? Does Gavin have anything to do with it?

That romance conflict is notoriously difficult to get. Xan always seems to confess first. The reason for your delay is probably the fact that Ajantis' romance is stalled.

Gavin's got nothing to do with it. I've got checks on his talks that prevent him from firing off any talk at all while the BG1 NPC conflict dialogue is cued or underway.

Guest Lilyana

Oh dear. Would I be good to go if I drop Xan for a while to stall his romance progress and get that one reputation point to get Ajantis going, or should I advance his romance as well? Would the conflict include Coran?

I understand you are the one who wrote Gavin... He's already given me two warnings that he's uncomfortable with the other romances, so I told him I need solitude to stop his romance. Will this prevent him from ending the romance?

Berelinde, I'm going to give you full and thoughtful feedback on Gavin, but I want to do it after I've seen the whole romance through. Expect to be showered in praise. :p

You can stall Ajantis' and Coran's romance by dropping them from the party for a while, but I seem to recall that Xan's romance ends if you drop him from the party.

The BG1 NPC romances really aren't set up for multi-romancing. You're going to have to commit to one of them.

A bit more about the conflict: only Coran and Ajantis are directly involved. Serious spoilers follow. Highlight to read.

If you are in a forested area, you will be approached by a bard that looks like Volo. He will tell you that Ajantis and Coran have arranged a challenge so that you may choose between them. Each of them will perform a number of feats in an effort to win your heart, and at the end, you may choose one of them, neither, or refuse to make a choice. If you choose Ajantis, Coran's romance shuts down, but Xan's doesn't. If you choose Coran, Ajantis' romance shuts down, but Xan's doesn't. You may choose Xan at any point and both Ajantis' and Coran's romances will shut down. If you decide that you don't want attention from either Ajantis or Coran, both romances will shut down (don't remember what happens to Xan's). I don't remember what happens if you refuse to make a choice. It's possible that all the romances continue, though I might be mistaken.

This conflict is a lot of fun. If it were me, I would save the game, calling it something you would easily recognize, then kick Xan out of the party. Get your reputation up a point somehow. Cheat in gold or whatever and go pay a temple. Then go to a wooded area and let the challenge play out. After that, you can reload your save and make whatever romantic decisions you choose.

As for Gavin, telling him that you want a break from the romance won't hurt your chances with him later, but committing to any of the BioWare boys will. Once you have committed to someone, Gavin's romance shuts off, but it can be restarted if there aren't any committed romances at the time. Gavin will complain three times about multiple romances. After that, he'll try to break up with you. I seem to remember that it was possible to talk him out of it, but I don't remember for sure. It's been so long...

Guest Lilyana

Okay, good, so I can just let Xan down and keep the other romances active. Do I have to get the romances at a certain level? If I must, I guess I can keep Ajantis hanging as long as I don't get that one rep point, and progress with Coran. But how much do I need to pay a temple?

How much you pay depends on your starting reputation.

Say, have you already brought Firebead Elvenhair in Beregost his book? He wants a copy of the History of the Fateful Coin, I think. You can buy it across the street at Feldposts, and that's an easy way to get one reputation point. Buying the book from the innkeeper at Feldpost's only costs 3 gold.

Guest Lilyana

It worked! In fact, it seems it worked a little too good... I played the challenges, and it was a hoot, and then I loaded a previous save file. Now Master of Challenges appears every time I intend to rest, no matter where I am. Ah, well. I guess I just need to make the choice now.

Guest Lilyana

Hmm, most peculiar. I told Coran to stop flirting and the flirt options are gone from my dialogue options, but Master of Challenges still keeps popping up every time I try to rest anywhere, be it in a forest or an inn. Not that it's a big inconvenience, I just wonder if it's supposed to work this way.

Archived