Gavin for BG2 now available

berelinde

Thanks!

And KathStoneDog, your issue was a vanilla game bug, apparently, just like the one Gavin's testers found with Aerie. Minsc is trying to remind you to go to Imnesvale. I've got directions on how to solve it up in the other thread.

Heh. Looks like congratulations may be a bit premature. I was wondering why some of the reported bugs looked so familiar, like things I fixed in earlier releases. Now I know the reason. I accidentally packaged alpha 42 instead of alpha 43, so all the bugs I fixed in alpha 43 are still there. (big sigh)

Well, at least I kept meticulous changelogs, so going back and fixing the rest won't be a big deal.

Apologies for any inconvenience this might cause. It's going to take me a little while to sort this out, but I should still be able to have a fixed version up in an hour or so.

Guest Dirty Uncle Bertie

Hey, berelinde.

As well as being a big fan of your mods, I'm also a big fan of Level One NPCs, so was wondering if you'll grant your permission for that mod to tinker with Gavin's proficiencies and stuff. Also, I don't have the game installed at the mo so can't check the following for myself:

1) What proficiencies he starts with (in BG1 I'd give him flail at level 4 and sword & shield style at level 8)

2) What are the custom items or other goodies added by this mod that are relevant to Gavin (I'm wondering specifically if there are any weapons for him that he may not be able to use if I change his weapon profs with Level One NPCs)

Thanks a lot, and congrats on the release :)

L1 NPC has standing permission to include Gavin, or any of my other mods, for that matter. Heck, I've stated in the readme that modders should help themselves. :)

He starts out with 2 pips in hammer, one pip in mace, and one pip in sword-and-shield. I was on the fence about whether to put that middle pip in maces or flails, but I figured that with mace being the favored weapon of Lathander, he'd probably want at least one pip there.

There aren't any custom weapons in either BG1 or BG2 Gavin. I'm not a big fan of custom items that can't be used by other NPCs or the PC anyway, so I never include any. As long as he stays a cleric in one flavor or another, he'll be able to use everything in the mod that's intended for him.

If I understood the L1NPC code even a little bit, I would have cheerfully stolen it and included it as an option in Gavin's installation, kind of like choosing an alternate portrait. Maybe I'll poke around L1NPC again. I won't understand the code any better this time than I did last time, but what the heck. Quantum mechanics was like that, too. I never really understood it, but eventually I got comfortable enough with not understanding it to pass the exams. That, too, took two tries...

Guest Dirty Uncle Bertie

berelinde, thanks for the response (and thank you also for posting about Gavin in the L1NPCs forum).

But I'm confused by this 2 pips in hammer you mention! It's been a while since I played the game, but I always thought Gavin started BG1 with 1 pip war hammer, 1 pip sling. Did I just eat too much cheese and dream this? And how can a cleric put more than 1 pip into anything? :)

PS Re Quantum mechanics: as long as I have my hoop and stick and/or cup and ball to play with, I'm happy. I'll leave the brainy stuff to you.

Hmm. I thought clerics could put two pips in weapons, but no more. I always thought that was a bit silly, though. Yeah, he probably came with 1 pip in hammers and 1 pip in sling, but I don't remember anymore. It's been too long and NI hates me.

Use the code for L1NPC additions, and you can put the pips anywhere you want.