BG2: Installation issues

Ankhesenpaaten

Congratulations and I can't wait! I'm starting a new game now...but will likely save a few times in the dungeon for multiple paths. I know I'll have to see all the romance ones.

Edit - never mind. I can't install it. (cries) I have to try and figure out the problem.

Hmm. I just downloaded a fresh copy and installed it on a clean, patched BG2 installation where I haven't even installed the fixpack yet, so everything *seems* to be working OK. You're using a Windows machine, right?

Yes. I'm just stupid, is all. I already have BG2 SoA and ToB installed and I know it's just me. I'm doing something dumb and just don't know what. It's been a long time since I've installed anything and I..just don't know. Is it because I'm not using a fresh install?

I keep getting asked to install on TuTu or BGT. Maybe my SoA isn't BGT? I don't even remember.

Maybe I just have to wait for my husband to come home (pathetic, I know) but it's better than tears of frustration because I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

If you don't mind, I'll split this off and walk you through it. It should be just a simple matter of downloading the archive to your game directory and double-clicking on the file, but let's see what we can do.

OK, the first thing you need to do is identify your installation directory. That's the place where you have your game installed. If you chose the default installation, it will be c:\program files\black isle\bgii - soa. Download the archive, called gavin_bg2-v1.exe there.

Once you have the archive in your installation directory, double-click on the archive to extract it. It shoud ask you if you want to install the mod in your current directory. Go ahead and do that. After the archive extracts, it launches the installer automatically. From there on out, it's just choosing which components to install.

If you aren't having any luck with this, you might have gotten a bad download. It happens. Just delete the whole archive and try again with a fresh download.

PS: There's nothing to be sorry about! If you're having issues, you deserve to have them resolved.

Okay, my husband set up a directory called "Games/BlackIsle/ etc. but I made sure it ended up there with all my other mods. I'll go ahead and try again real quick and be right back.

First of all, my G3 Gavin is dated from 2008, so that's the wrong one.

There is a folder called Gavin 3.1 dated from Feb. 2010. Is this right? If so, where do I go from here?

I keep getting asked to install on TuTu or BGT. Maybe my SoA isn't BGT? I don't even remember.

Nah, you don't have to wait for your husband. You just have to download the correct version of Gavin for your game. You've downloaded the BG1 version of Gavin, probably because the forum pull-down menus haven't been updated yet. You can download the correct BG2 version from Gavin's BG2 project page.

Don't feel bad. With the installation split the way it is, a lot of other users are going to have this same problem, and I'm going to be explaining this a lot over the next few weeks/months.

Edit: You need the BG2 version of Gavin for your BG2 game. Following the link above should get you there. :p

The failure to translate to is probably the result of some earlier mod installation. It crops up sometimes, especially if you've deleted mod folders or biffed your installation in the past. Usually, when this happens, it's nothing to worry about, but there are times when it could indicate some corruption that occured while installing or reinstalling a mod higher up in your weidu.log. If you're going to run into trouble, you'll find out early, though. If your character was eligible for romance in BG1 and you open up the painting, you'll know right away. If there's a ring there and if a dialogue starts when your character picks it up, things are working fine. If not, you may need a clean installation.

Archived