BG2: Problems and bug reports

DeathAngel

I didn't want to trap the player into using a lame combat script of my own invention, so I never wrote one. There's nothing in the mod that relates to his behavior in combat at all. Since Gavin has no combat AI script whatsoever, if he is changing weapons, it's another mod that's doing it. What's your weidu.log look like?

At Amaurea's suggestion, I was trying eScript with Gavin for a preliminary ToB testing run. He had an inventory full of nice items, but he always seemed to choose the one I didn't want him to use. I finally had to unequip all weapons except the one I wanted him to use. This is a problem with eScript, though, not with Gavin. Hope this explanation helps.

This is Weidu.log:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods

// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod

// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]

~SETUP-DUNGEONBEGONE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Dungeon Be Gone V1.6

~GAVIN_BG2/SETUP-GAVIN_BG2.TP2~ #0 #0 // Gavin for BG2: v13

~GAVIN_BG2/SETUP-GAVIN_BG2.TP2~ #0 #1 // Gavin heals the PC when below 50% health (Can be disabled or enabled via player-initiated dialogue): v13

~GAVIN_BG2/SETUP-GAVIN_BG2.TP2~ #0 #2 // Multi-romance cheat -> Normal romance kills: v13

~GAVIN_BG2/SETUP-GAVIN_BG2.TP2~ #0 #8 // Alternate Portrait Selection (Default portrait is already installed) -> Original alternate, by Kaeloree: v13

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1080 // Add Bags of Holding: v8

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1120 // Stores Sell Higher Stacks of Items: v8

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1170 // Bonus Merchants (Baldurdash): v8

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1190 // Romance Bug Fixes: v8

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1200 // Imoen ToB Dialogue Fix: v8

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2090 // Change Experience Point Cap -> Remove Experience Cap: v8

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2151 // Wear Multiple Protection Items -> No Restrictions: v8

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2200 // Multi-Class Grandmastery (Weimer): v8

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2210 // True Grandmastery (Baldurdash): v8

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2220 // Change Magically Created Weapons to Zero Weight: v8

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2230 // Make +x/+y Weapons Consistent: v8

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2231 // Description Updates for Make +x/+y Weapons Consistent Component: v8

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2300 // Triple-Class HLA Tables: v8

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3000 // Higher HP on Level Up -> Maximum: v8

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3010 // Maximum HP for NPCs (the bigg) -> For All Creatures in Game: v8

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3020 // Identify All Items: v8

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3031 // Easy Spell Learning -> 100% Learn Spells and No Maximum Cap: v8

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3040 // Make Bags of Holding Bottomless: v8

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3050 // Remove fatigue from restoration spells: v8

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3060 // Remove "You Must Gather Your Party..." Sound (Weimer): v8

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3080 // Unlimited Ammo Stacking: v8

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3090 // Unlimited Gem and Jewelry Stacking: v8

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3100 // Unlimited Potion Stacking: v8

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3110 // Unlimited Scroll Stacking: v8

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3121 // Happy Patch (Party NPCs do not fight or complain about reputation) -> NPCs can be angry about reputation but never leave (Salk): v8

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3140 // Faster Chapter 1&2 Cut-Scenes and Dreams -> Originals from EoU (Karzak, Blucher): v8

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3150 // Turn Off The Hideous Cloak-of-Mirroring, Spell-Trap, and Physical Mirror Animations: v8

I always use for clerics script cleric2 (cleric defensive), but never seen they change welee weapon by own choise.

Edited by Senka

Most of the scripts are going to use EquipMostDamaging(), I'm afraid. The only one that doesn't is the first script on the list, but if you choose that one, he's just going to pound away at enemies without casting any spells at all. He'll still heal the PC because that's part of his override script, but if you want him to cast flame strike or anything, he will probably ignore your commands.

Bunch of stuff regarding the BG1 -> SoA transition in BGT. Since I'm not familiar with how the latter works I can't provide solutions, and you might have to ask for help in their forum if you wish to fix these things.

1) The BG1 and SoA sections of the mod separate downloads.

2) Gavin didn't leave the party during the transition; instead, in the .gam file he was transferred to no_area.are and had its selected / not selected field set to Dead (I couldn't kick him from the party or take party required transitions in Chateau Irenicus, and I had to turn him to Selected and ARA002.ARE via NI and then kick him in-game).

3) He is using two different death variables in BG1 and SoA, meaning that if you had him use the Tome of Wisdom or whatnot it'll be wasted once you transition to SoA (recurring characters like Minsc or Edwin use the same DV to insure that BG1 development will carry over to SoA).

4) The SoA creature file is specialized in War Hammers - Clerics can't specialize (also, it's almost a wasted proficiency slot, since he doesn't benefit from the increased attacks per round).

Bunch of stuff regarding the BG1 -> SoA transition in BGT. Since I'm not familiar with how the latter works I can't provide solutions, and you might have to ask for help in their forum if you wish to fix these things.
I'll probably provide alternatives for some of these, but others are a design choice.

1) The BG1 and SoA sections of the mod separate downloads.
This one is a design choice. I did not want to force the player to download a massive mod when they might only be using one part of it. Some players do not play BGT/Tutu, and others have dial-up connections or download limits imposed by their service providers.

2) Gavin didn't leave the party during the transition; instead, in the .gam file he was transferred to no_area.are and had its selected / not selected field set to Dead (I couldn't kick him from the party or take party required transitions in Chateau Irenicus, and I had to turn him to Selected and ARA002.ARE via NI and then kick him in-game).
Oh, crud. I thought I had a workaround for that. I put something in his script that would destroy his CRE if AreaCheck("AR0602"). That doesn't seem to have worked as intended. The best compromise I can come up with is to use the BG2 transition variable instead (I'll look it up in), have him do a LeaveParty() and DestroySelf() if that variable comes back as true.

The reason that I did it this way is that I wanted to give players the option to configure the character differently for an SoA-only game. Maybe they were engaged at the end of BG1 but wanted to start over in BG2 as if they never met. I didn't want to force them to play through BG1 twice to set things up the way they wanted it.

3) He is using two different death variables in BG1 and SoA, meaning that if you had him use the Tome of Wisdom or whatnot it'll be wasted once you transition to SoA (recurring characters like Minsc or Edwin use the same DV to insure that BG1 development will carry over to SoA).
This is something that I've been agonizing over forever. I wanted players to have customization options, but I wasn't happy that the Tome of Wisdom would be wasted. Maybe the best solution is to leave things as they are and try to find some workaround that doesn't break the fourth wall too badly.

Maybe an option on installation that would put one of each tome in Gavin's inventory after he joins in BG2? I don't like it because it breaks immersion, but even some BGT players might appreciate the chance to regain those books if they're starting an SoA-only game. I seem to remember book07 working in BG1 but not in BG2. Am I imagining things?

Would it be less immersion-breaking to just assume that the player gave Gavin the tome and give him an automatic wisdom boost if the player says that the PC knew him in BG1? Naturally, if the PC didn't know him in BG1, he wouldn't have received the tome. I suck at spell modding in a big way, but maybe somebody somewhere might be willing to help me out.

Or would it be better just to let the player decide how it all gets handled? That seems the best solution to me. Default option: No books, no stat boosts. Option 1: Gavin spawns with one of each tome in his inventory. Option 2: Gavin gets an automatic wisdom boost if he was in the party in BG1.

4) The SoA creature file is specialized in War Hammers - Clerics can't specialize (also, it's almost a wasted proficiency slot, since he doesn't benefit from the increased attacks per round).

I've been playing with proficiency-altering mods so long that I've forgotten how many points clerics are even supposed to have. :suspect:

Well, I was going to make up a new set of CREs for him anyway based on the effect offset issues Taimon's CRE checker turned up. Maybe I'll move that warhammer point over to flails/morning stars.

The BG1/BG2 transition issue is a major issue so I'd probably better fix it soon. Item four on your list is easily fixed, but it isn't breaking anything major, so it can wait a little while. I'm hoping to hold off on a full version-up until ToB is out, so I can include it then. Item three is something that I'd like to think about for a while. I'd also like to hear what players think before committing to one course or another.

I'll probably fix the BG1/BG2 transition issue as a BGT-specific hotfix rather than as a full version-up. I don't have BGT installed and my game disks are out on loan, so I would rather have the fix be something small and easily tested.

Oh, crud. I thought I had a workaround for that. I put something in his script that would destroy his CRE if AreaCheck("AR0602"). That doesn't seem to have worked as intended. The best compromise I can come up with is to use the BG2 transition variable instead (I'll look it up in), have him do a LeaveParty() and DestroySelf() if that variable comes back as true.

If it's in b!getting_rid_of_gavin.baf, my guess is that you're missing the LeaveParty() - that might be the cause of the problem :suspect:

(NB: I'm running V10, but the script is unchanged in V16)

This is something that I've been agonizing over forever. I wanted players to have customization options, but I wasn't happy that the Tome of Wisdom would be wasted. Maybe the best solution is to leave things as they are and try to find some workaround that doesn't break the fourth wall too badly.

I was using the ToW as an example of thing that didn't get carried over. NPCs like Minsc or Edwin solve the issue by having both the BG1 and the BG2 creature have the same death variable, meaning that you can use MoveGlobal() to have the 'old' Gavin move to his starting BG2 area (rather than creating a new one). I'm sure that if you ask over at the BGT fora they should be able to give you more specific tips.

Of course, changing death variable would require a rewrite of non-trivial portions of the scripts, so I'll understand if you don't want to do it (or want to ask Lollorian to do it) :)

Edited by the bigg

190-ish of b!gift.d:

~You're quite the snappy dresser, miss, and I have just the thing to set your outfit off. This little component pouch came all the way from Halruua. It's bigger on the inside thn it is on the outside, though, and it will let you memorize loads of extra spells.~

Should be than.

(still there in V16)

If it's in b!getting_rid_of_gavin.baf, you're missing the LeaveParty() - that might be the cause of the problem :)

Yes, but that isn't the only problem with it. If you had to edit the value in the area AR0002 rather than AR0602, the area for level one of CI is different between BGT/non BGT.

I was using the ToW as an example of thing that didn't get carried over. NPCs like Minsc or Edwin solve the issue by having both the BG1 and the BG2 creature have the same death variable, meaning that you can use MoveGlobal() to have the 'old' Gavin move to his starting BG2 area (rather than creating a new one). I'm sure that if you ask over at the BGT fora they should be able to give you more specific tips.

Of course, changing death variable would require a rewrite of non-trivial portions of the scripts, so I'll understand if you don't want to do it (or want to ask Lollorian to do it) ;)

I knew how to do the transition using MoveGlobal() or MoveBetweenAreas() already, so that was not a factor in my decision to use new CRE/DV/dialogues/scripts.

Recoding BG2 Gavin and everything Gavin-related in CBP *is* trivial compared to the other two factors that affected my decision.

I did not want to force players to replay BG1 to set the character up they want it. I already explained that, so there's no need to do it again.

The other two reasons are more practical. If I keep the same CRE, I would have to use the same scripts and dialogue files for both creatures. AFAIK, there is no way to change interdia.2da assignments between games. For NPCs like Minsc and Edwin, this isn't really a big deal. Neither one of them has much in the way of script/PID in either game, even with BG1 NPC installed. Most of their content is banter. Considering how dialogue and script-heavy both BG1 and BG2 Gavin are, it would be a nightmare. The BG1 scripts and PID menu are both so bloated they barely run on older machines. A lot of that was my fault because I did not script as efficiently as I could have done, but it was my first mod. BG2 Gavin's scripts and PID are more streamlined, but they're still a lot bigger than most NPC mod scripts/PID. Using the same dialogue files and scripts would force me to re-write and recode all of BG1 Gavin as well as big chunks of BG2 Gavin (and parts of CBP), and that's something I really don't want to do.

The third reason is the PID menu itself. Besides being big for both games, they're also very different. It would be messier than I really want to deal with.

Thus, the need to find a workaround. It isn't perfect, but it does work. The scripts and dialogue files are smaller, they don't get bogged down, etc.

What else is there, really? The only things that get imported between BG1 and BG2 are stats, proficiencies, spell memorization, and *maybe* items, if you get the NPC out of there before the DestroyAllEquipment() is executed. I'd rather look into solutions for these than deal with script bloat and unworkable PID.

I know this answer isn't going to make everyone happy, but it is still better than the altenative, IMO.

Edit: Good catch on the typo. Fixing it now! :suspect:

Edited by berelinde

arA002 was just a random area other than the one I was in (to avoid having Gavin fire his P dialogue and potentially mess up the romance). CI is still 0602 (and, in fact, the DestroySelf() did fire).

It is possible to have the BG1 and BG2 romances use different variables while keeping the same DV for Gavin (simply have his BG2 dialogues fire using different variables), but too complicated scripts and PID is reason enough to avoid merging the DV.

Edited by the bigg

When performing herbalism, it'd be nice if you could craft more than one potion at a time - that is, have all transitions in b!mortar.d (except the quitting one) GOTO m1 rather than EXIT.

Not sure about V10 vs V16 about the following things:

Gavin should have an option in the PID to provide some advice about herbalism.

Gavin (and other clerics) should be able to perform herbalism himself.

The Mortar is a scroll and can be put in Scroll Cases.

Purebalm is unidentified, Snakebite is identified when crafted.

Edited by the bigg