Stackability

SixOfSpades

Demi has confirmed that Potions of Genius and Mind Focusing will stack with each other to raise the drinker's INT, but that neither potion will stack with itself. Does this mean that, although I am barred from combining a STR girdle with a STR potion, I can get the same effect from combining a Potion + Crom Faeyr/Mauler's Arm, or Girdle + Crom/Arm, or Strength of One + Girdle, etc.?

Personally, I favor dropping ALL instances of the "Sets stat to 19" style & replacing them with "Grants +2 to stat" style. Not only does it make one's original stats far more meaningful, but we won't have to worry about cheese like Archers with 5 STR drinking a bottle of Storm Giant Strength--and consequently, we can allow the Potions to stack with other things. That would mean that we'd have to change a couple of spells as well--but only a couple.

On the whole, I see five paths:

1) Once a stat (STR, INT, etc.) has been affected, that stat cannot be altered until the original effect wears off/is Dispelled. NO effect stacks with anything else (with the exception of Illithid & similar attacks).

2) You can stack an effect that increments a stat with another that increments the same stat ("+4 to INT, +3 to INT"), but you cannot stack a flat-value modifier with an incremental (No "DEX set to 18, +3 to DEX").

3) You can stack a set-stat with an increment-stat ("CON set to 18, +2 to CON"), but you cannot stack an incremental with another incremental (no "+5 to STR, +2 to STR").

4) All effects stack with all other effects, but no effect is cumulative with itself (you can combine 2 different potions, but not 2 of the same potion).

5) All effects stack with all other effects, including themselves.

We (by which I mean the entire modding community) should reach a general consensus as to which of those 5 rules makes the most sense, and make it consistent over the entire game--items, potions, & spells.

1)

5) All effects stack with all other effects, including themselves.

We (by which I mean the entire modding community) should reach a general consensus as to which of those 5 rules makes the most sense, and make it consistent over the entire game--items, potions, & spells.

Ehm, why not:

6) You can have 1 of each... the primary stat + one potion + one spell + one item and they all stack with each other and... but not with their own kind... of course the potions etc. won't dispel each others, so if the weaker potions durations is longer, it's effect is taken into the account when the stronger goes away.

There is of course one exception (and the drain spells of course :suspect: )... the book that increases a stat will of course be 'natural' increase, meaning that it goes with the primary stat.

This pared with only +X to stat potions, spells and items ... without any Set stat to X, will work wonderfully.

Demi has confirmed that Potions of Genius and Mind Focusing will stack with each other to raise the drinker's INT, but that neither potion will stack with itself. Does this mean that, although I am barred from combining a STR girdle with a STR potion, I can get the same effect from combining a Potion + Crom Faeyr/Mauler's Arm, or Girdle + Crom/Arm, or Strength of One + Girdle, etc.?
As of now I've not prevented potions effects from stacking with items effects (e.g. Girdle of Giant Strength + Potion of Hill Giant Strength). It's doable but only by making such items unequippable after drinking such potions, and by having the items make the character immune to potions effects while worn.

4) All effects stack with all other effects, but no effect is cumulative with itself (you can combine 2 different potions, but not 2 of the same potion).

That's more or less what I did, and most other options are either too difficult to implement or not implementable at all imo.

Well, within IR + SR I'll make it consistent as much as I can, but I don't think we/you can impose any of the above "paths" to the whole community.
6) You can have 1 of each... the primary stat + one potion + one spell + one item and they all stack with each other but not with their own kind

True, I hadn't considered that. I can't exactly say that I'm a fan of that route, as I've never liked rules that rely on what type of item it is (e.g., Wizard Slayers can't wear Rings), but that is indeed a possible implementation.

As of now I've not prevented potions effects from stacking with items effects (e.g. Girdle of Giant Strength + Potion of Hill Giant Strength).

Ok, OK. I was under the impression that this was something you've already done, not merely floated as a possibility. Well, since you already seem to be sticking to a consistent rule (everything stacks with everything else, but nothing stacks with itself), then I have no qualms and this thread is pretty much moot.

Archived