[OS X] CTD on rest in BGII - can this one be corrected?

ericp07

Hello,

I realize that the chances of fixing this may be slim to none, but it's worth a shot. My saved test game has a party about to enter De'Arnise Keep, but I wanted to rest the party first. Each time I load the game and click the Rest button, a CTD immediately happens. Here's the weidu.log content:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1000 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update -> GTU Light (by Wisp): v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Super Happy Fun Lucky Modder Pack: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #3 // BETA Core Fixes (please check the readme!): v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Party Gets XP for Sending Keldorn to Reconcile With Maria: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #101 // Improved Spell Animations: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #102 // Cromwell's Forging Actually Takes a Day: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #103 // Mixed-Use Dagger Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #104 // Ghreyfain's Holy Symbol Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #106 // Giants Receive Penalties When Attacking Halflings,	Dwarves, and Gnomes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #107 // Remove Dual-Classing Restriction from Archers	and Stalkers: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #108 // Remove Second Attribute Bonus for Evil Path in   Wrath Hell Trial: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #109 // Corrected Summoned Demon Behavior: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #110 // Additional Script Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #111 // Bard Song Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #112 // Wizard Slayers Cause Miscast Magic on Ranged Attacks: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #113 // Additional Alignment Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #114 // Change Free Action to Protect Against Stun: v9
~NYTHRUNFIX.TP2~ #0 #0 // Nythrun's Broken Cre/Itm/Spl Fix
~SETUP-CREFIXER.TP2~ #0 #0 // Creature Slot Fixer: v2
~SETUP-VAL.TP2~ #0 #0 // Valasse - A Dying NPC Romance for BG2
~HINAEARI.TP2~ #0 #0 // Hinaeariel Gwaithoron for BGII:SoA/ToB: v1

I reported the problem here, but this G3 forum always yields the most favorable results, so I wanted to ask about it here. This is not one of the usual CTDs we get in the Mac OS X version of BGII. I understand that the crash is due to a buggy item or spell (hence the Assertion Failure in line number 1536), so I'm hoping it can be tracked down. I'd like some help with this, please, if anyone knows how I could troubleshoot it.

Thanks,

Eric

Did you run Nythrun fix again? It can't magically fix resources that get screwed up after you run the installer, so you should always be running it last...

And you really shouldn't install the Super Happy Fun Lucky Modder Pack. Nobody should.

Did you run Nythrun fix again? It can't magically fix resources that get screwed up after you run the installer, so you should always be running it last...

And you really shouldn't install the Super Happy Fun Lucky Modder Pack. Nobody should.

Ooh...yes, I ran nythfix recently, after everything else. I'll remember to keep it last, going forward. Wasn't aware to avoid the SHFLM component of the Fixpack. Looks to me like it's time to restore critical files and reinstall the mods. Might as well get it over with...and then not bother installing Hinaeariel for a while :suspect:

Thanks,

Eric

Feels like this is the same thing I went through before, but I don't recall what the solution was. Great. After deleting my entire BGII game folder, I installed fresh, from discs, then applied the ToB 2.1.2 patch (latest for Mac). Maximum install. Copied over the characters and portraits folders that I'd saved from the game before deleting. Inserted disc 2 and launched the game. Imported character into new mp game. Game loaded, then gave me a CTD.

An Assertion failed in InfGame.cpp at line number 6389. Nothing in baldur.log, nothing in baldur.err, as I haven't edited baldur.ini yet.

This is absurd! Pristine install, and can't even start a new game? I don't understand how that's possible.

Just ran BGConfig to adjust settings. Trying again.

[Edit]

On the screen with the progress bars, when the game is loading for the first time (after choosing the main character on the character arbitration screen for multiplayer), the progress bars get about 4/5 of the way up, then the CTD happens. The system's error reporter says there's a KERN_PROTECTION failure. Not sure about that one. Game won't work now. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Eric

[/Edit]

Don't import characters. Maybe they had a mod item or spell or something on them that no longer exists in a clean install. If you can't create a new single-player character, then something is probably wrong with the settings. Last resort, the installation may not have completed successfully (but you'd want to restart the system and check before assuming that).

The system dump summary isn't worthwhile. If you're running on a PPC without 3D acceleration on, the specific trace for the offending thread can sometimes isolate what was going on (it would be under the "Thread %d crashed:" section).

Don't import characters. Maybe they had a mod item or spell or something on them that no longer exists in a clean install. If you can't create a new single-player character, then something is probably wrong with the settings. Last resort, the installation may not have completed successfully (but you'd want to restart the system and check before assuming that).

The system dump summary isn't worthwhile. If you're running on a PPC without 3D acceleration on, the specific trace for the offending thread can sometimes isolate what was going on (it would be under the "Thread %d crashed:" section).

OK, I'll see if I can create a new character without the game blowing up :suspect: Will try single-player mode first, even though I never play that way. Restored from an archived clean install + Fixpack, and uninstalled SHFLM component. I won't install anything else till I can get a game to start.

It's always Thread #7 that crashes...

Thanks,

Eric

This installation works, so far. Clean install + BG2 Fixpack (all components except for SHFLM component installed). 3D acceleration on, 1024x768 resolution. Core rules, all computer settings at maximum. Critical hit screen shake disabled, cache set to 2048. Started single-player SoA game. Couldn't create character (because I'm on a Mac, and choosing any class that has kits causes CTD), so imported stock Fighter. Got through first chat with Imoen, quit game. Repeated procedure for ToB, importing stock ToB Fighter. Game started, saved itself, and gave overhead screen text advising to check possessions before heading out. Quit game. Identical successful results for multiplayer games.

Will check out the character I was using before with NI, to see if there's anything in inventory that might cause a problem. Maybe best to start a game with him (male human berserker) without any gear? I'll probably still have to run a test game far enough to have rested three times or so, and get into Chapter 2, but I'll do so as quickly as possible. If stable enough, then I'll install Yvette and start a new test game.

Thanks,

Eric

Copied everything from my archived ToB clean install + BG2 Fixpack, and was able to start an SoA and a ToB single- and multiplayer game. Strangely, the game folder is now generic, instead of having the nifty BGII icon. A couple game screens are different from pure vanilla, so I must have installed something that changed one of the early screens and the character inventory screen; I asked about this in a new thread at SHS. As soon as that's solved, I'll carry on with testing.

Thanks,

Eric

CTD immediately following interface panels appearing after stepping through portal to level 2 of Irenicus'. The area loads, the screen comes up where Yoshimo is supposed to approach the party, then *poof* :suspect: Emptying /cache/data didn't help (same result).

Current weidu.log:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Party Gets XP for Sending Keldorn to Reconcile With Maria: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #101 // Improved Spell Animations: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #102 // Cromwell's Forging Actually Takes a Day: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #103 // Mixed-Use Dagger Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #104 // Ghreyfain's Holy Symbol Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #106 // Giants Receive Penalties When Attacking Halflings,	Dwarves, and Gnomes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #107 // Remove Dual-Classing Restriction from Archers	and Stalkers: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #108 // Remove Second Attribute Bonus for Evil Path in   Wrath Hell Trial: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #109 // Corrected Summoned Demon Behavior: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #110 // Additional Script Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #111 // Bard Song Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #112 // Wizard Slayers Cause Miscast Magic on Ranged Attacks: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #113 // Additional Alignment Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #114 // Change Free Action to Protect Against Stun: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1000 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update -> GTU Light (by Wisp): v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #3 // BETA Core Fixes (please check the readme!): v9

System error report, abbreviated:

Thread 9 Crashed:
0   <Unknown disk fragment>			0x02a7bbf8 IsEndOfSequence__8CVidCellFUc + 136
1   <Unknown disk fragment>			0x027150c4 AIUpdate__11CGameStaticFv + 100
2   <Unknown disk fragment>			0x0269144c AIUpdate__9CGameAreaFv + 5340
3   <Unknown disk fragment>			0x0291d340 AsynchronousUpdate__12CScreenWorldFi + 3440
4   <Unknown disk fragment>			0x02927f04 TimerAsynchronousUpdate__12CScreenWorldFv + 20
5   <Unknown disk fragment>			0x02a3ea8c AsynchronousUpdate__7CChitinFUiUiUlUlUl + 3420
6   <Unknown disk fragment>			0x026255fc AsynchronousUpdate__13CBaldurChitinFUiUiUlUlUl + 124
7   <Unknown disk fragment>			0x02624d98 MainAIThread__13CBaldurChitinFPv + 344
8   <Unknown disk fragment>			0x02a3b394 MainAIThread + 36
9   ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 	0x90bf2d84 InvokeThreadEntryUPP + 24
10  ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 	0x90bf29a4 CooperativeThread + 220
11  libSystem.B.dylib				  0x9002b908 _pthread_body + 96

Error as shown in baldur.log:

---------------------Start Logging Session---------------------

Silverbird OS X 10.4.11:BGII - SoA:cache:data:AREA060A.bif: Cached
Could Not Find Resource: DRYAA03.WAV

Could Not Find Resource: DRYAA02.WAV

CVisibilityMap::AddCharacter : ( 2984, 621 ) #:19726637 R:14 
CVisibilityMap::AddCharacter : ( 2976, 636 ) #:19792174 R:14 
CVisibilityMap::AddCharacter : ( 3008, 636 ) #:19857711 R:14 
CVisibilityMap::AddCharacter : ( 3008, 612 ) #:19923248 R:14 

CVisibilityMap::AddCharacter : ( 2984, 621 ) #:19726637 R:14 
CVisibilityMap::AddCharacter : ( 2976, 636 ) #:19792174 R:14 
CVisibilityMap::AddCharacter : ( 3008, 636 ) #:19857711 R:14 
CVisibilityMap::AddCharacter : ( 3008, 612 ) #:19923248 R:14 
CBaldurMessage::UpdateDemandCharacterSlotReply sent to 
CVisibilityMap::AddCharacter : ( 408, 2958 ) #:19857711 R:14

How can I troubleshoot this one? I've never seen this exact crash, but if it's one of the "normal" Mac crashes, then it should eventually not happen, so the game can continue.

Thanks,

Eric

This is probably not linked, but I see you're playing with BG2 FixPack v9 and BETA fixes. If you're going to use the BETA fixes, upgrade to v9.01 since the v9 contains a fatal bug with the spell "Shield" ( http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?s...st&p=164661 ).

Never knew about that...and I can barely keep up with all the updates (especially recent WeiDU updates) :suspect:

Thanks!

Eric

SUCCESS!!! Newest test game, with full party of BioWare NPCs. Completed de'Arnise Keep quest, returned to Athkatla. Rested at Mithrest Inn, got Imoen dream sequence (where the last line you hear is "Nothing is real...yet" from Irenicus). Got resting screen. Party woke up; player saved game :suspect:

That should be enough of a test. Now to install the Yvette mod, and see if I can duplicate this success.

Thanks,

Eric

Archived