Jarlaxle doesn't pay 2500gp.

In Ust Natha. He pays nothing for the gems recovered. Dialog has ~GivePArtyGold(2500)~, but CRE has no gold to give. How comes nobody have fixed it yet???

REPLACE_ACTION_TEXT jarlaxle ~GivePartyGold(~ ~GiveGoldForce(~

Nice catch.

I'd suggest a slightly less intrusive change i.e. to simply provide Jarlaxle with an adequate amount of gold.

// Jarlaxle should have enough gold to reward the party for their efforts (Ardanis)

COPY_EXISTING ~jarlaxle.cre~   ~override~
PATCH_IF LONG_AT 0x001c < 2500 THEN BEGIN
  WRITE_LONG  0x001c 2500  // gold carried
END
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

I'd suggest a slightly less intrusive change i.e. to simply provide Jarlaxle with an adequate amount of gold.

// Jarlaxle should have enough gold to reward the party for their efforts (Ardanis), and then if he gets to bite the bitter steel... he does not die empty handed.

COPY_EXISTING ~jarlaxle.cre~   ~override~
 WRITE_LONG  0x001c 2500  // gold carried
END
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

Erhm, but shouldn't that be this:
// Jarlaxle should have enough gold to reward the party for their efforts (Ardanis)

COPY_EXISTING ~jarlaxle.cre~   ~override~
 READ_LONG 0x001c ~old~
 WRITE_LONG  0x001c (2500 + "old")  // gold carried
END
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

I'd go with GiveGoldForce(). We never modify the gold stat with any of our other fixes.

But, but... think of all the broken dependencies!!!!!!1111oneoneone :D

GiveGoldForce() it is.

<<<<<<<<bg2fixpack/inlined/jarlaxle.d
REPLACE_ACTION_TEXT jarlaxle ~GivePartyGold(~ ~GiveGoldForce(~
>>>>>>>>
COMPILE "bg2fixpack/inlined/jarlaxle.d"

I'd go with GiveGoldForce(). We never modify the gold stat with any of our other fixes.

Not intending to be a wise-ass, but why should new fixes use the same - arguable inferior - way legacy fixes were done? It's pretty jarring when a creature that's supposed to give you gold doesn't actually have it if killed, so why not use an unobtrusive and "better" way of patching in the gold?

And yes, I'm all about consistency, but the difference here is that the proposed way of having the CRE actually carry the gold is what a player would consider vanilla ("correct") behaviour. So why not use that method, seeing as aVENGER (and Jarno) has already coded it?

Because BioWare chose not to do so. The bugs are notable because almost no creature in the game carries its reward gold, so nearly any use of GivePartyGold() will fail.

They set the rules. We follow them as much as possible, and the rule here is GiveGoldForce().

If the standard behaviour is that (almost) no creature actually carry its reward gold, I agree with you that we should follow that rule. I'd like to have it differently, but that's for a mod other than FixPack. Thank you for explaining - and persuading. :)

Archived