Progress update - 29/09/04

NiGHTMARE

Well if gomes are like Jan, I dobt anyone would be taking them:D

About those two dwarvves - are they for LOI? And Yesilick is back! Yae! the good old Fighter/cleric from BG1..

EDIT: You want me to start writing something for Raghast or should we scrap him?

same question about Elith (not that we really need him..we got many rangers allready, I just need a ranger guardian for Aquae... maby Kivan or some other NPC can take that role..Or we could make Elith a non-joinable NPC)

I'd suggest working on one NPC at a time, and if you get three, four or however many finished by the time everything else in the mod is finished, that would be superb :D. But try to focus on two main ones until they're completely written.

BTW no the dwarves aren't for LoI, else they'd be mentioned in the workrooms :cry:.

Hope you'll bear my ramblings for a moment (and please, don't take them the wrong way!)

I've been *hungrily* waiting for a good while for progresses with the Expanded Underdark and the other quests.

Yes, I must admit, quests is what I'm interested in, mostly. I hardly download NPCs anymore, since in so many years of BG2 existance I've not even had the time to try three quarters of the original ones!!!

While quests are always the same, and we definitely need some fresh air, here.

Well, I've been working in the Return to Windspears project for an year, by now, and I think at this point I've come to know something about big projects.

Quitch tried many times to announce release dates, but they always proved to be extremely optimistic.

The point is, the mod seems almost done, judging by the existing and the missing material... but you don't take much to realize that even the "simple" task of closing the loose ends requires massive amounts of time, coding, testing, correcting, adding stuff again, testing again, reconsidering, proofreading... and so on.

RtW adds a big and carefully developed quest and a new NPC (yes, one).

4 years and counting, and we're not fully capable of providing a clear release date, yet (though yes, it seems close, somewhat).

Why this boring introduction?

Well, despite my wishes, I can't but despair about a release of this mod when I see the amount of NPCs and kits on the works.

No matter how you put it, they're going to drain time, if only for the testing...

A 2010 release date would seem pretty optimistic, and frankly I am not kidding.

Again, don't misunderstand my words: a modder follows his desires and instincts, and would have no reason to mod otherwise. So I'm not trying to tell you what you must do!

I just hope you (as a team) will try to consider time as an crucial parameter, and will "play with the idea" of sacrificing parts of the mod that are not vital as others, for the sake of the mod itself :cry:

Why should time be a crucial factor? Personally I don't care how long LoI takes to complete, be it 2010 or 2030.

Modding is a hobby for me, one I don't see ever wanting to give up (and I've already been doing it since 1991 or so). You don't impose time limits on other hobbies ("I'm going to work on model airplanes until February 2007, then move on to something else"), so why should there be one for this?

So yeah, just so as long as the fruit of our labour is as good as I and the other team members want it to be, time isn't really an issue for me.

Finally, to repeat what I said earlier: if anyone is overly concerned about how long the project will take to complete, why not volunteer your services and help reduce that time?

Why should time be a crucial factor? Personally I don't care how long LoI takes to complete, be it 2010 or 2030.

If your aim is modding by itself, and/or one day being the only one playing the mod, then I give you the point.

But consider that for 2030 you might have lost some of your current collaborators, too...

Finally, to repeat what I said earlier: if anyone is overly concerned about how long the project will take to complete, why not volunteer your services and help reduce that time?

Well, two reasons:

• I'm already involved in two other projects which I want to see released.
    Well, Refinements Version 1 is already released, and I assure that this brings more satisfaction and motivation for working on future versions of it.
  • Knowing how such big projects develop, I admit I wouldn't dare to offer help in a project which plans to add so many things, and 13 or something NPCs...
    I'd prefer to focus on more reachable goals.

Hope it makes sense :D

Again, this was only meant as as suggestion, then you're fully in right to see things in your way, of course :cry::D

We're making this mod for us, not for other people. The mod will be the mod we want to play, it'll contain the content we want it to contain, it'll be released when the team want it released, etc, etc. It's an extremely bad idea to let non-team mebers dictate what you should and shouldn't be doing in your mod.

Obviously getting outside ideas, comments and suggestions is not only fine, it should be encouraged. However, you should be relying more on your own opinion than anyone else's... otherwise the mod wouldn't be a labour of love, and it'll tell.

I didn't start this mod because I thought "wouldn't be it nice if people could...", I started because I thought "wouldn't it be nice if I[/u] could..."

Anyway the question is, how do the NPCs which individual team members are working on affect the work being done by other team members (other than a couple of dozen extra banters, easily doable in just a few days)?

It's kind of like saying "OMG the Pocketplane Group is making too many NPCs, Quest Pack v2 will never be released!!!"

It's an extremely bad idea to let non-team mebers dictate what you should and shouldn't be doing in your mod.

Immediate disagreement from me here. (Hey, what's new? :cry:) I open up my mod development for pretty much anyone to comment on. If nothing else, taking thoughts as you go along produces a higher-quality result. Point conceded that I think in some circumstances I'd be reluctant to respond to "you're wasting your time, scrap half your ideas"; however, I'm totally redoing a Quest Pack component because someone pointed out that it wasn't very well designed. Allowing people to propose bigger changes can have merit.

It's kind of like saying "OMG the Pocketplane Group is making too many NPCs, Quest Pack v2 will never be released!!!"

There's something ironically embarassing here...

But, uh, anyway, I don't agree with that as an analogy. You're trying to get people working on everything simultaneously for one massive release, correct? Or at least, you're not assigning priority to the quests. I'm devoting most of my effort (in theory) to Quest Pack. Not to mention that it's a smaller project, designed in such a way that content can be implemented version by version.

Archived