Missing HLAs

Arashi Kai

A very annoying bug has cropped up in some of the mods I've been playing with: When exporting with a character that has custom HLAs, SK shows that he has them and whatever effects they apply. However, upon importing into a new game, those HLAs that are not spells, but in the abilities menu, disappear, but normal class abilities (custom and vanilla) and HLA spells stay there and behave normally. SK confirms this.

I tried it with the Geomantic Sorcerer kit, as that is where I first discovered the bug. Then I installed a mod that gave monks a different HLA table (similar to Balthazar's abilities). What that mod is, I have long since forgotten (various aspects in RL and an interest in some other games have caused me to not play BG2 in a long time). It even happens with my own mods that I install. It could be bad coding o my part, but the fact that it appears in other mods leads me to believe this problem is a bit more global.

I have tried adding in the special abilities via SK and they seem to work, but adding in the static effects yields no results. I've tried just about everything I can think of and am at the end of my rope. Has anyone else had this sort of problem in their's, or anyone else's, mods? Is there a more consistent fix to this problem?

It's probably the Refinements mod from SHS that gives you new HLAs. If your own kits gain the wrong HLAs, maybe you made an error in the HLA table that you assigned for your kit and if you kept it at default, check the default table to see if that one is different from vanilla.

I'm not fond of exporting and importing character with custom kits, especially if you decide to change the installation inbetween.

You can do a fix by writing a script for your character to reassign the abilities once you've imported it into a game (as in if levelGT x, then apply a spell which grants the ability), but I'm not sure if that's what you're after.

It's probably the Refinements mod from SHS that gives you new HLAs. If your own kits gain the wrong HLAs, maybe you made an error in the HLA table that you assigned for your kit and if you kept it at default, check the default table to see if that one is different from vanilla.

I'm not fond of exporting and importing character with custom kits, especially if you decide to change the installation inbetween.

You can do a fix by writing a script for your character to reassign the abilities once you've imported it into a game (as in if levelGT x, then apply a spell which grants the ability), but I'm not sure if that's what you're after.

Ack! :puke: This was the sort of thing I was trying to avoid: modifying other peoples mods! I guess if it's the only way to reliably get the HLAs upon importing, then it's worth a shot. I'm not that good at scripting, but then thats what Google is for ;)

I guess the most perplexing thing about this is that in the character creation screen, where I do the importing, the HLAs show up, but once the game starts, they disappear :) Curse me for not giving the whole story! :)

P.S. It's the Oversight mod from here that gives the monk HLAs.

Ack! :) This was the sort of thing I was trying to avoid: modifying other peoples mods!

Outside of a few narcissistic individuals, no BG2 modder cares if you alter their mods for private use, and a number of them even includes instructions on how to alter them.

Archived