Widescreen Mod and Windowed Mode

Guest Rhayve

Guest Rhayve

Hello, before I get to my problem, here's a little bit of background info that might prove to be useful for the Troubleshooting:

Me and a friend of mine wanted to play BG1+BG2 together over the Internet via Hamachi, while having identical installations and Modifications for both games.

(Note: This applies to both PCs - mine runs Windows XP SP3, the other one Windows 7)

So I made sure to install BG1, then TotSC, BG2 and then ToB. I patched both games with the most recent official patches, first BG1, then BG2.

Afterwards, I used the Big World Project installer to download and install a multitude of Mods (Baldur's Gate Trilogy that fuses both games and allows for the use of the BG2 engine in BG1 + only recommended Tweaks and Fixes).

After it was done, I ran the most up-to-date version of the Widescreen mod and installed it properly and set the resolutions to 1280x1024 for both PCs, as those were our Desktop resolutions, as well.

Now here comes the problem: Starting the game is no issue at all - starting a Single Player campaign works perfectly, as well. But when my friend tries to "Create Game" under Multiplayer (Windows 7), the screen goes black and the game stops responding (my Windows XP PC, however, has no problems whatsoever).

In an attempt to fix this, I've literally searched the web for -hours- trying to find a solution, and in the end, I found some posts that mentioned that we should attempt trying to create a game while in Windowed mode.

Well - that's what I wanted to do, so I tried running the game in Windowed mode - by configuring the BgConfig.exe.

However, upon starting the game, it was still full screen. So I tried editing the baldur.ini file - to no avail.

Afterwards, I simply uninstalled the Widescreen mod, then ran the game again and it suddenly did run in Windowed mode and my friend was able to start a multiplayer game without crashing.

Now here's my question: Is it possible, while retaining the modification of the Widescreen mod (because high resolution is <3) to run the BGT game in windowed mode, create a Multiplayer game and then switch back to full screen mode?

Thank you for your time, and my apologies for the wall-of-text.

If the game area + window decoration + task bar is larger than the current screen area, BG2 defaults to windowed mode.

After your first (windowed) game session you should be able to run in full-screen mode. If that doesn't work, choose a smaller resolution in WSM and run in windowed mode (going from 1280x1024 to 1250x900 should be enough to avoid the 'defaults to fullscreen' issue).

Now here comes the problem: Starting the game is no issue at all - starting a Single Player campaign works perfectly, as well. But when my friend tries to "Create Game" under Multiplayer (Windows 7), the screen goes black and the game stops responding
Has you friend tried in that situation to use the Tab + Alt keys(or the windows key) to exit to windows and then allow the network connection... and then just go back to playing the game, by clicking the closed tab in the Taskbar... ?
Guest Rhayve
Now here comes the problem: Starting the game is no issue at all - starting a Single Player campaign works perfectly, as well. But when my friend tries to "Create Game" under Multiplayer (Windows 7), the screen goes black and the game stops responding
Has you friend tried in that situation to use the Tab + Alt keys(or the windows key) to exit to windows and then allow the network connection... and then just go back to playing the game, by clicking the closed tab in the Taskbar... ?

Yes, he has, but it messes up all the graphics (pixels are colorful and messed up).

Archived