Using existing tileset for new area map

argent77

I’m creating a new map which is based on the unused area (AR2700) of BG2. I thought of reusing its tileset for my map, because it exists in the vanilla game. (Its size is over 13MB)

But there is a problem. As long as the TIS file is present in the override folder, the area loads perfectly. But when it only exists within the BIF archives, the game crashes while the map is loading.

Is there something I can do or is it a game limitation/bug?

Maps sometimes crash when parts of them are present/not present in override. Never investigated the matter however, so can't point out where to look for an error.

Till then, you can COPY_EXISTING ar2700.tis override, it will place the file into override.

From my experience (and that of other modders) this sort of crash has always been caused by ambients referenced in the .are file that are in another biff, and those should be renamed accordingly. But I suppose in theory it could happen with .tis files too, which is more annoying if so, because they're huge. Make sure "Logging On=1" is in your baldur.ini file and post the contents of baldur.err if you're getting a crash.

I have already solved the problem with the advice from Ardanis. But you are right, it also happens when the ambient sounds (and possibly the MOS and/or WED files) are missing.

In my case with the modified AR2700 map, I only need to provide my own ARE and search map BMP files which are very small in size.

Well, anyway, this is my Baldur.err after removing all files which are also in the BIF archives:

---------------------Start Logging Session---------------------

ASSERTION FAILED!
File: ChDimm.cpp
Line: 7641

Exp: pBiffHeader->dwFileType != mmioFOURCC('B', 'I', 'F', 'C')

Msg: f:\games\baldurs gate ii\cd4\data\AREA2700.bif: attempted to use compressed BIF from CD, check free hard drive space
Run Debugger?

The error doesn’t tell me anything meaningful. The CD4 key in my baldur.ini is set correctly and I still have over 40GB free disk space left.

The error doesn’t tell me anything meaningful.
It's the same one we were getting with new areas that reference ambients in a different compressed biff from the area. You should copy stuff like that to your own prefix then reference those clips. I'm not sure if "unbiffing" the resources like Ardanis specified is going to prevent a crash if someone rebiffs their game.
You should copy stuff like that to your own prefix then reference those clips. I'm not sure if "unbiffing" the resources like Ardanis specified is going to prevent a crash if someone rebiffs their game.

I’m partly doing that already because of filename restrictions (e.g. the MOS file or the map files have to be named like their ARE counterpart), which is easy with commands like COPY_EXISTING ~ar2700.mos~ ~override/arA701.mos~.

But I’ll probably rename the rest of the files too, just to be on the safe side.

Archived