Comments/observations on run with IR, SR, SCS2

Guest Incantatar

-The MGoI from Limited Wish has somehow different durations for my party members. Random?
It's highly unlikely considering they are all affected by the same opcode...is it a matter of seconds or what? :blush:

It's because party members have different caster level and it's not the dao who casted MGoI, but themselves

I'm pretty sure it's unchanged by IR. Sucktastic item nonetheless.

I can't remember using it the last time. But it certainly sucks. :blush:

-Is it possible to make spell triggers with aoe spells work as aoe? It would be cool to put e.g. 3x Secret Word in it and use it against invisible enemies. It makes no sense atm.

I'm pretty sure it's unchanged by IR. Sucktastic item nonetheless.

I can't remember using it the last time. But it certainly sucks. :blush:

I do't remember working on it. For V3 I have a better animation for it (the one I use for Resonating weapons). The "no user-friendly" aspect is actually part of its background, but yeah, I have to do something about it if we want the item to be more appealing.

-Is it possible to make spell triggers with aoe spells work as aoe?
Hardcoded. Probably because you can mix AoE and single target spells together, and that would have cause erratic behaviour.

-Carsomyr is unsellable

-Adding to what i said about Remove Magic. I see that every SCS2 mage is scripted to use all Sequencers/Triggers/Contingencies usable at his level. Yet there is no available Spell Trigger scroll till Saradush. I would add one to the Underdark, to make it even. One might think a Wizard's advantage over Sorcerers is spell variety. Not in vanilla.

-Carsomyr is unsellable

-Adding to what i said about Remove Magic. I see that every SCS2 mage is scripted to use all Sequencers/Triggers/Contingencies usable at his level. Yet there is no available Spell Trigger scroll till Saradush. I would add one to the Underdark, to make it even. One might think a Wizard's advantage over Sorcerers is spell variety. Not in vanilla.

This is outside the scope of SCS, I think. It's canonical in vanilla BG2 that every high-level mage uses sequencers, triggers etc (usually illegally, though I don't follow that bit of the canon). In general, it's also made clear that most mages in BG2 have been practising their craft for years or decades; the player's party, on the other hand, gains twenty-five levels in about three months. So I don't find it particularly surprising that enemy mages have had time to acquire a wider range of spells.

This is outside the scope of SCS, I think. It's canonical in vanilla BG2 that every high-level mage uses sequencers, triggers etc (usually illegally, though I don't follow that bit of the canon). In general, it's also made clear that most mages in BG2 have been practising their craft for years or decades; the player's party, on the other hand, gains twenty-five levels in about three months. So I don't find it particularly surprising that enemy mages have had time to acquire a wider range of spells.

It was not directed at SCS. It's perfectly ok imo how you did the scripts. More a recommendation for Item Revisions i guess.

Your argument is true but consider that the player probably adventures more in this time than any of the AI mages ever do and secondly you would be able to find a lot of spell books in your encounters with mages in the game. This of course is outside of the scope of Baldur's Gate but i find it hard to believe that a lvl 16+ Bhaalspawn mage can't find a spell every other mage with his level has written in his book.

Other more rare spells like Imprisonment should be rare no question.

Will add one then.

-There is no Club or Scimitar that hits always as +3 anymore in SoA?
You can use SR's Enchant Weapon spell, it allows to create all existing weapon types. In fact, untill I got into Ch.5 I always had a couple of these memorized.
-Carsomyr is unsellable
Wasn't it a vanilla's "feature"? Anyway, I probably kept/do that thinking it was quest related (e.g. if you disintegrate it you can't finish paladin's quest?) or because I felt terribly strange that any poor store in the realms would buy a Holy Avenger so easily considering only paladins can buy it, and paladins are not supposed to be rich (nor they usually want to earn such sword if not by a glorious quest). Long story short, I don't know what to do about this...

P.S Note that making it sellable would allow most parties to get a HUGE amount of gold from it unless I assign it an obviously underpriced value.

-There is no Club or Scimitar that hits always as +3 anymore in SoA?
Well there never was a +3 scimitar. The first one you get is Water's Edge in the underdark.

The only +3 club you can obtain before going to Spellhold is Root of the Problem yes (only if charname is a druid), else you have to wait for Bone Club in Spellhold.

As Ardanis says, SR's Enchanted Weapon allows you to handle that very easily (even for ranged weapons). Anyway, do you need a +3 weapon early on so badly? As far as I remember the first time I needed one was a couple of Greater Mummies in Spellhold, and then the Baalor in the Underdark. Afaik you may need +3 weapons in the first chapters if you encounter archmages summoning pit fiends but surely you don't need them more than a couple of times, and in those few cases having few warriors equipped with them should be enough.

Archived