Store Revisions

Ardanis

We've decided to add a 'hidden' store in Order of Radiant Heart (only for paladins or PCs with very high reputation), as a placeholder for Purple Dragon Knight sword.

Wouldn't the Order loan it for special/difficult missions (or offer it as reward for one of those) instead of making it available for sale?

Mmm, you have a point...though there already are quite a few rewards for paladin's quests (Gloves of Healing, Pride of the Order, Carsomyr).

That being said, right now I don't have such greatsword ready to go in a store...but I remember a couple of other items that could suit such "store" if we agree on having it (e.g. Wyrmcleaver halberd). The question is: can paladins have a "store" within their order? Or do them share their equipment freely?

Well, the Order is an organization, and any organization requires money to exist - maintaining the building, training squires, paying for equipment, etc. They might an well exchange resources between members.

As for the sword not ready, this feature can always be disabled in ten seconds, if we decide against it.

Ardanis is right. I'd even suggest moving some of those reward items to this shop, but grant it quite good prices so Paladins can buy those. Paying for them isn't so terrible because even in PnP Paladins should donate half of their earned founds to Order (which is in BG2 unimplentable).

Judging by what is written in the first post, Store Revision is outstanding. But I'm kinda scared to add it. Truth is that I use item randomiser to avoid the fact that I can play only good parties - and item randomiser fixes the fact that you get always the worst rewards if you are evil. Oh well, I will have to think about it.

Judging by what is written in the first post, Store Revision is outstanding. But I'm kinda scared to add it.

Don't be. You'll find powerful stuff fairly soon in any category, and even get some ToB equipment in SoA (Psion's Blade, Rocharan's Horn etc.) The problem is you'll have to think ahead about what to buy since money will become an issue very quickly.

Is it still the case that you can buy Flame Tongue +3 long sword at the docks?

If so, I think this should be reconsidered. It is better than Varscona +2 you can get at the Adventure Mart and also cheaper. Way too cheap and easy for a really strong +3 weapon.

Is it still the case that you can buy Flame Tongue +3 long sword at the docks?

If so, I think this should be reconsidered. It is better than Varscona +2 you can get at the Adventure Mart and also cheaper. Way too cheap and easy for a really strong +3 weapon.

I don't really feel FT is so powerful to warrant a nerf (the most powerful thing about it is it's enchantement, not it's effects). Any later, it'd be obsolete probably, and it's very convinient for Troll killing. I'd suggest that Varscona is "found" on an enemy or similar, not bought, since it's quite overpriced.

When playing with SCS's Improved Illyich Dungeon in V4beta6, I had real problems with ammo for a bow-heavy party (Minc, Imoen and Yoshimo are all archers, plus my protagonist) and had to switch all but one to using crossbows from the duergars, with annoying consequences for their THAC0s, and Jahiera didn't find that many bullets either. Of course it means less for the fighter types as they'll typically spent most of their time in melée, but, nonetheless, it severely limited my favorite tactic of bombarding the enemy as they move to close with my fighters.

And after getting out from the dungeon, I had real problems finding enough throwing axes and daggers for Korgan and Edwin. Now I didn't have a chance to visit every single merchant before my game went bad so I may have missed the fellows who specialized in those, but it was a real issue for me. Not all that serious, but annoying over what should have been a trivial problem. Ordinary bolts and arrows really weren't an issue as lots were dropped by dead NPCs, but bullets and darts were far less common, although the latter was vitiated by the dartmaster in the government district.

So what I'd suggest is that all non-specialized merchants should have 40-80 of all the non-magical ammo types, with the types that can't be thrown more than once per round at the lower end. Players really shouldn't have to sweat the supply of non-magical ammo, IMO.

Archived