[For Repair v20] Dynaheir Journal Quest Broken

Xander

Yeah, I know what should happen. I completed the quest with the character I played through with initially, who's currently in SoA. The only difference was he wasn't pursuing Dynaheir's romance. He was involved with Branwen's.

So I'm curious as to what went awry. In that playthrough, I met the good gnolls, and something like a minute later at the most the evil gnolls spawned and the quest was completed.

This time, the good gnolls spawn, we talk, I let them go, but no evil gnolls spawn on that map, nor on any other of the 8 maps.

Well, we know exactly why this quest works perfectly in testing and seems haphazard in its failure in the Real World now - thank you for the report and the follow up!

If that global is at 3 and the others as reported, this set of actions

CreateCreatureObjectOffset("X#DGNLE1",Player1,[100.100])
CreateCreatureObjectOffset("X#DGNLE2",Player1,[75.100])
CreateCreatureObjectOffset("X#DGNLE3",Player1,[75.75])
CreateCreatureObjectOffset("X#DGNLE4",Player1,[100.75])
ActionOverride("X#DGNLE1",FaceObject(Player1))
ActionOverride("X#DGNLE2",FaceObject(Player1))
ActionOverride("X#DGNLE3",FaceObject(Player1))
ActionOverride("X#DGNLE4",FaceObject(Player1))
ActionOverride("X#DGNLE1",StartDialogNoSet(Player1))

is failing in some circumstances. So, the problem must be the code trying to spawn on entry to an area where there is just no space for them to spawn. Or something else is interrupting the actions.

A couple of ways to make this bomb-proof.

1. Use the same idea the Romance Conflict section of BG1NPC does and send PC and such to an independent cutscene, playing out the battle; basically, create our own little "between areas" random encounter area or hijack existing ones and let the content play out. This is alot easier now that Nythrun and Yovaneth, and Miloch and sundry have made macros editing areas much easier to use and understand.

2. edit in trap trigger areas in the places where we know there is enough room and have it work like Coran's dragon skeleton interjection

3. try using "pop into existence ambush right next to PC" so that it is unlikely to fail.

Of the three, I tend to think the first is the least likely to run into compatability troubles, and the only hassle is deciding if it is ok to walk into an area and then be hijacked, with some additional line about "we stole you away" or if I need to figure out how to tie this into using worldmap transitions without running into BWP/BGT worldmap issues. 2 runs the risk of area overwrite, but means no line changes and is the simplest to re-explain (go to coordinate xxxx.yyyy in area Z and walk back an forth, and it will trigger". 3 is guesswork again.

Or, perhaps it could be simpler - put the evil gnolls in place, but Deactivate() them. Instead of having Drizzt show up somewhere along the Sword Coast, have him show up only in one area, and then as he wanders off, Activate() and MoveToObjectNoInterrupt(). Hmmm. This one might be the best. It certainly would be easier to troubleshoot. It means less flexibility, of course - the design decision was to allow the PC to proceed naturally in their game, and have Drizzt and those gnolls show up wherever they went, right out of Dy's script. I'd better play with it.

For folks with this problem, the easy way out is to cluaconsole in X#DGNLE1, X#DGNLE2, X#DGNLE3, and X#DGNLE4, and talk to X#DGNLE1.

I have two bugreports for v18 where the spawning of Drizzt does not occur if the original Drizzt is met before Dynaheir is freed. The spawning of the quest-Drizzt was achieved by setting

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("X#DGDrizztSpawn","GLOBAL",0)

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("X#DynaJournal","GLOBAL",1).

Jastey, do we have confirmation that those folks actually got the correct line to fire in the meeting with Drizzt? There is only one potential way to get the line that allows the quest. The vanilla dialog state it I_C_T's into only happens with the highest positive reaction (evil players may have a really hard time triggering it).

Jastey, do we have confirmation that those folks actually got the correct line to fire in the meeting with Drizzt? There is only one potential way to get the line that allows the quest. The vanilla dialog state it I_C_T's into only happens with the highest positive reaction (evil players may have a really hard time triggering it).

And also, even good players can easily pick the wrong conversation-options.

Yep. I know why Domi wanted it that way - she reasoned that there would have to be a significant reason for Drizzt to even notice the party. That makes it tough for completionist players, but fits the story nicely.

Guest jastey_outlogged

Ah, thank you for pointing that out. The reaction is nothing the player can influence, meaning it is not dependent on the nicest answers?

Archived