BG:ToSC patch question

Sam.

I'm afraid I'm having more trouble with my current round of installs... I'm aware that this is an old thread, but I'm looking for an up-to-date answer to this same question, so here's my situation:

I installed the 3-CD version of ToSC v5521, installed the BGTalesUS5512 Patch, installed Widescreen Mod v3.05, and then adjusted the settings in Baldur.ini to correct some issues, and the game runs fine (but has the usual GUI problems). I then installed the latest Polish GUI mod TWM_GUI_beta0,994, and now when I run the BGMain2.exe, the game fails to start and I get the following error:

---------------------------

Assertion

---------------------------

An Assertion failed in D:\Dev\chitin\ChVideo.cpp at line number 4256

Programmer says: No valid video modes supported.

I don't really understand Polish, but it kind of looks like TWM_GUI is now compatable with v5521, so I reinstalled from the CD's and tried to install WSM, but it failed. Seems like:

Widescreen Mod v3.01 fails to install on a clean install of TotSC 1.3.5521 from 3 CD set, however, it succeeds after installing the "Intl" 5521 patch. This particular requirement isn't mentioned in the README.
so I got the International v5521 (bgtosc_intl.exe), copied the BGMain2.exe over, installed the WSM, and then installed TWM_GUI_beta0,994, but I get the same error as before. I am using resolution 1280x768.

What am I missing?

TIA,

Sam.

Is 1280x768 a supported resolution on your computer? I mean, can you pick that one for the desktop from the Windows settings? If you can't, then you can't start the game in full screen mode with that resolution.

You can only use windowed mode if the resolution set with Widescreen is not among the resolutions available in Windows.

I don't have a 3-CD version but a 6-CD (also DVD+CD) so I can't comment about compatibility. However 1.3.5521 from the International patch works fine for me. I'm also using 1280x768.

Is 1280x768 a supported resolution on your computer? I mean, can you pick that one for the desktop from the Windows settings?
I chose 1280x768 because my screen is a 16:9 ratio widescreen, but I looked and that resolution was not one of the preset selectable ones. I can create any custom resulution I want, however, and after I added it to the list everything is working perfectly. Thank you very much. Problem solved :)

Archived