weidu-mac 219 hangs; unusable

ericp07

Hello,

Today I tried running weidu-mac from the 219 package for Mac OS X, and from WeiDU Installer.command (which I placed in the WeiDU folder, as I've noticed that this file no longer comes with WeiDU). With weidu-mac, it hangs when I press <enter> after issuing a "./weidu-mac modname.tp2 --tlkout dialog.tlk --log modname.DEBUG". With WeiDU Installer.command, it hangs when I press <enter> after navigating to my BGII directory. This renders WeiDU unusable. 218 worked flawlessly the last several times I used it.

Just thought someone should know.

Thanks,

Eric

Just to add some detail here, in case it's helpful, I run Mac OS X 10.4.11. When I said that the tool "hangs," I mean that I run the command, then see nothing happening. I wait, and wait, and still nothing happens. Then I use ctrl-z to break out of being "stuck," whereupon I see a report that the .tp2 file is no longer in use.

Was v219 tested on any PPC Macs at all, or only on Intel machines? I just hope a solution will be possible soon, as I'm in the middle of a mod install process, and can't progress or play the game till I can finish. This also has the unfortunate effect of rendering me unable to test the mod I'm creating.

Thanks,

Eric

WeiDU (or rather the language runtime it's written in) doesn't seem to release file descriptors expediently which causes WeiDU to hang while autoupdating if there are enough Setup-XXX files. The default number of file descriptors per process on MacOSX is 255. You can increase it with the ulimit command, or run weidu-mac with the --noautoupdate switch.

WeiDU (or rather the language runtime it's written in) doesn't seem to release file descriptors expediently which causes WeiDU to hang while autoupdating if there are enough Setup-XXX files. The default number of file descriptors per process on MacOSX is 255. You can increase it with the ulimit command, or run weidu-mac with the --noautoupdate switch.

That makes sense. With v218, the updating process took a long time, and showed strange things happening (because weidu-mac gets removed and replaced repeatedly in the BGII folder as this process runs, so weidu-mac would be "not found" with every other mod updated...or something like that). Still, every mod I installed showed that it was up to WeiDU 218, so I never worried about it.

The first command I issue when in the Terminal, before even navigating to the BGII directory, is "ulimit -n unlimited".

- E

-n is open files, not descriptors. Try what he suggested (running with --noautoupdate); nothing has changed in 219 auto-update that I can remember, though.

So, is the --noautoupdate to be added at the end of the line that goes "./weidu-mac setup-mymod.tp2 --tlkout dialog.tlk --log setup-mymod.DEBUG"?

Thanks,

Eric

Yes (it's just a standard WeiDU argument, like --tlkout or --log, except that it doesn't take any additional parameters).

Hangs with that argument added. Will re-download and extract WeiDU 219 and try again.

- E

This appears to be SOLVED! :undecided: I downloaded a fresh copy of 219 for Mac, replaced the existing folder in my BGII folder, then ran weidu-mac from the Terminal to install the next mod in my list (which happened to be Azengaard). It worked exactly as it should! Reported that 219 was being used. I included the --noautoupdate argument, but that may not have been needed. I'll see what happens with the next mod install if I omit that argument.

Thanks!

Eric

Archived