NWN1 and NWN2 Chat

@ Berelinde: "It's the impression I got from it that sex is really all there is." that is just the opinion I have from 70% of the things (magazines, sites, TV shows, books, etc) that I see around. Once of the best thing in your romance mod (I still don't know how it ends, with sex or not) is that characters have been developed carefully and trying to adhere as much as possible to the piece of their personalities that the official game shows.

@ Lilyana: In NWN2 OC (don't know if you had played that), Bishop is actually a bad boy. He spent half of the time till now (I haven't finished the game yet) playing the chauvinistic pig (not my definition, but it fits perfectly), however, the character is not just that. Not a stereotype of bad boys, so, even if my PC sometime wishes to kick him you can imagine where, he is a really well developed character (and the one I like most).

Guest Lilyana

I guess one another reason why the overly sexed up games/shows/movies/whatever get on my nerves is that it's such a cop-out. It's the cheap and easy way to get the audience interested.

@ Lilyana: In NWN2 OC (don't know if you had played that), Bishop is actually a bad boy. He spent half of the time till now (I haven't finished the game yet) playing the chauvinistic pig (not my definition, but it fits perfectly), however, the character is not just that. Not a stereotype of bad boys, so, even if my PC sometime wishes to kick him you can imagine where, he is a really well developed character (and the one I like most).

I actually bought NWN2 today. I'm going to wait until the Sand romance gets incorporated into the romance pack, whenever that is, before I'll play it.

I don't see myself playing "bad boy" romances if there are options, but I often do enjoy them as characters. Gabriel Knight is one of my favorite characters of all time, and he's definitely a bad boy. Not to mention Spike from Buffy, Han Solo, Rhett Butler...

It seems like everyone you meet is some kind of cookie-cutter "bad boy" without a lot of thought invested in developing the character further. Valine herself stated the the mod came to be because her boyfriend was out of town for a week and she got bored. So in this case, it isn't the amount of sex present in the mod that bothers me, or even the gratuitous nature of it. Yay, gratuitous sex! It's the impression I got from it that sex is really all there is.

Sorry but I'd like to disagree on this point;it's true that the mod was born as that,but I think the constant improvements and major changes (both regarding storyline&npcs) Valine is still making on the module,show that there's a will to improve it and add depth wherever possible.

The last update on part one involved a HUGE rewriting of one of the npcs,and honestly his backstory and the banters he and the PC have show quite a lot more than just "yay sex" (in fact,there is none between the two,ever);not to mention that,exactly like in Dragon Age,certain dialogue tree choices may reveal more than others,this in regards of npc development.

If people still don't like the module,I am very fine with it anyway;to each his/her own in the end :blush:

Just beware of the "usual barrage of slander",like Sand would say :laugh:

Cheers!

Slander is a strong word, especially when applied to the opinion of someone who played the mod. Perhaps I expect too much, having a background in IE modding and the rich character development present in Infinity Engine mods, but I found the characters to be uninteresting and poorly developed. I played the mod less than a year ago, so my experience with it was not with some old version. I did not enjoy it and stated the reasons for my opinion.

Sorry,I should've specified that the "slander" was in regard of those who expressed opinions WITHOUT playing it;I am fine with opinions that come from AFTER playing it,and I'm sorry about the misunderstanding.

The update I talked about was quite recent,but anyways everyone has different tastes and expectations :blush:

I'll crawl back in my corner and be silent from now on,have a nice day everyone :laugh:

"Sorry,I should've specified that the "slander" was in regard of those who expressed opinions WITHOUT playing it"

again, I suppose I have a problem, here.

First you are stating that everyone should try everything before expressing an opinion. Should I take drugs in order to be able to affirm that drug is dangerous? Or should I kill someone to been allowed to say that it's wrong?

Second. I've asked for opinions and comments just because I have no time to try everything around, so I asked "those of you who had tried many modules... what's interesting in your opinion?" I read the opinions, read the comments and then filtered all through my tastes. My tastes don't think I could enjoy this module, so I said "no, thanks". I really cannot understand where the problem is. Ok, I can explain why (and I've done it too many times, in my opinion) but in the end, I follow my tastes and if something doesn't appeal to me, I don't know why I must try it just because other people got offended because my tastes aren't the same as theirs.

Really, I can't understand this.

Aside from the void rethorics,I'll just point out what the problem is for the last time,hoping to be crystal clear this time.

Again,I have no problems with someone not liking what I like,or saying he/she doesn't like something after trying the thing for himself/herself for his/her own reasons,whichever they may be;I am fine even with someone not wanting to try something out because he/she thinks it migh be offensive to him/her,and skipping the whole thing,because tastes are sacred for everyone and everybody has the right to choose what he/she wants to play,when and why.

What I have problems with,is someone expressing FULL opinions on something he/she didn't even tried and even formulating dissertations on an author's inner value system,basing his/her whole thesis on someone else's words and some sort of inner reasonement based on impressions of what the work expresses;this is why I felt like defending the author's work,even if probably it was not needed and useless,but I just felt compelled to do it,as I would've done with every author and work I held in high regard,not only for the quality of writing,but expecially for the effort in giving the community a polished product out of passion and enthusiasm (nobody is paying anybody here,as far as I know).

In regards of my standards,I am a mere player,so even if I think I am picky,it is very well possible that,in fact,my standards are very low,expecially when compared to someone who's instead experienced both as writer and modder;I apologize if my reviews and opinions seemed inappropriate,I just wrote what I felt,without any intention of offending anyone.

Anyways,I was asked to give a list of my favourites,and I've done so;I am sorry if I took the liberty of expressing my opinions further and,in doing so,displeased someone.I will try and refrain more from now on,since I consider myself a guest anyway.

If needed,my pm box is always open (I hope);I wish everyone a good day and fun time :blush:

Regards.

I don't like the behaviour of first accusing and then saying "oh but I am small, ugly and bad, so don't mind to my accusations".

You have accused me to be slandering the module just because, from what I read, I don't think that it would suite to my tastes and I don't want to try it. I said that, from what I read, it seems to be overfilled with sex, and that this thing doesn't appeal to me.

People have asked explanation on my vision about things overfilled with sex (I've spoken about magazines and tv advertising) and now you are accusing me to be slandering the author or whatever just because I don't think I would like that module. I've also tried to explain you via PM what I consider "overfilling" in society. No. From your words it seems that I am going to find the author and murder her.

I DON'T THINK I WOULD LIKE THIS MODULE SO I AM NOT GOING TO TRY IT. Full stop.

For my own reasons. Full stop again. Everyone else could do whatever they please and I am sure the author is a good person. I can give to you a cake for free, but you have the right to express your opinion about it (is the cake good? is it bad?). And if someone listen to it ("the cake is not good, it is tasteless") and decide not to try my cake, I don't think I'll have problem with that.

However, since I didn't registered in this forum for quarrelling about a module, I think I simply stop to answer to this kind of provocations.

Vaalyah, I don't think that Deedlit was accusing you of slandering the module. She was just voicing a general complaint about people who say offensive things about modules without having tried them out. You said that you didn't think you would like A Dance with Rogues, so you wouldn't play it - that's fine. That's your decision to make :blush:

Mine weren't accusations,mine were statements: you DID accuse the author (implicitly in your posts,and openly via pm - which by the way was in italian,so no language barrier or misunderstanding there) and the module of promoting a certain vision and idea of sex ("on a whim",in addition to that),basing this thesis solely on your impressions,born from someone else's words and descriptions.

I stated both in english AND italian,both in public and private,in the most clear way I could,several times already,that I have nothing against you not liking the module or not wanting to try it,in fact I am very fine with it,since I consider the right to choose sacred;I don't even have anything against your personal ideas and I said countless times that tastes and principles are sacred to anyone,and to each his/her own.

What I was against was the "formulating opinions based on superficial(= because not born from own testing of the thing) impressions and spreading those",which yes,I consider slander,and there's countless examples of that on vault and various forums,as Ipsy said;so far I attempted more than once in explaining you the difference between what displeased me and what not,but either you weren't much interested in those,because stating your opinions no matter what is so much more fun instead,or I suffer from some sort of rare brain dislexia,so that I think I stated my point clearly and politely,when in fact I talked about blood,vengeance and broccoli the whole time.

If this is in the end a huge misunderstanding on my half,then I apologize;this is what I red though and I reacted accordingly,discussing in the most polite and clear way I could,and I would've done that whatever the work accused/slandered was,if it was something I (at least based on my brain and reasoning capacities) know of and respect,AdwR just happening to be the topic this time.

My apologies to the other users and expecially the mods for the sterile quarrelling that this topic became.

Regards.

Archived