vampire bat cloud problem

Chosen

Well then, it seems like not ALL players are for allowing a save...more like 6 vs 1. :beer::D
Alas, SCS(II) is wildly undemocratic. I change things if I'm persuaded by the arguments for them, not just by majority vote. (In this case, I probably am largely persuaded, though.)
Kneel before Zod. :)

@Demi:

do/will SR Fireshield (blue/red?) protect against bats?

Mmm, interesting. I do planned to have those spells protect from insects in V4 and having them protect from bats too makes sense indeed.
Well then, it seems like not ALL players are for allowing a save...more like 6 vs 1. :beer::)

Alas, SCS(II) is wildly undemocratic. I change things if I'm persuaded by the arguments for them, not just by majority vote. (In this case, I probably am largely persuaded, though.)

My two cents is to allow for a saving throw but not let Fire Shield pulverize bats just like it would insects.

I agree that Cloud of Bats is overpowered. An unblockable, uncounterable, uninterruptable, instacast Insect Plague-like ability? Spellcasting is out. Personally, I'd rather see it changed to target a single creature, so at least it wouldn't stack doing massive damage on the most vulnerable party members, or to allow a saving throw for spellcasting: vampires usually come in packs and seeing your mage die because he got hit with like six Clouds (along with the rest of the party) and dominated isn't funny.

It has been awhile since I've played BGII with SCS, but I remember disliking this aspect. In theory it is a cool and challenging enemy ability, but IRC all vampires can use it so that usually means an ungodly number of these uncheckable bats coming your way when you run into multiple vamps (and this will happen). A saving throw would make sense, but why not just make it an ability restricted to a few higher level vampires?

A saving throw would make sense, but why not just make it an ability restricted to a few higher level vampires?

That would actually be a very nice idea (but only if paired with the more important introduction of a saving throw).

A saving throw would make sense, but why not just make it an ability restricted to a few higher level vampires?

That would actually be a very nice idea (but only if paired with the more important introduction of a saving throw).

Why that restriction?

Why that restriction?

To make higher level vampires more special. :cringe:

Why that restriction?

You misunderstand. I meant: why grant a saving throw if one has already restricted the ability to higher-level vampires?

Why that restriction?

You misunderstand. I meant: why grant a saving throw if one has already restricted the ability to higher-level vampires?

Point taken. I'd go for making it a special ability of only few high level vampires and grant no saves at all then. :)

Maybe use a random timer? Probably adjusting values for higher levels. Something like this

IF
 Global("init_bats","locals",0)
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("bats","locals",1) // instantly
SetGlobal("init_bats","locals",1)
 RESPONSE #100
SetGlobalTimer("bats","locals",12)
 RESPONSE #100
SetGlobalTimer("bats","locals",24)
 RESPONSE #100
END

Well, I think DavidW agrees about allowing a save to the Cloud of Bats?

In that case, we'll just have to wait for the next version of SCS II.

Great, as soon as I start up a new install/no reload attempt version 16 is going to come out with slightly less crazy bat cloud... :) I'm just going to have to wag my finger and lecture every Scs noob on how 'back in the day we ate multiple spammed crazy no save bat clouds... and that's the way we liked it!' :cringe:

Currently, it looks like it checks for the lvl of the vamp and if it's between 12 and 13, it uses one kind of cloud that's school:conjuration, and if 14 or higher, it uses another version that has no school, ie spell immunity doesn't block it. Is this correct?

Is Insect Plague and Swarm of Bats supposed to be treated as a summon? Then why don't cloud abilities destroy them like it does some summons? Or how about the death spell? Insect Plague and Swarm of Bats should bypass magic resistance being summons and all but as a consequence they should posses other vulnerabilities.

Archived