vampire bat cloud problem

Chosen

Is Insect Plague and Swarm of Bats supposed to be treated as a summon? Then why don't cloud abilities destroy them like it does some summons? Or how about the death spell? Insect Plague and Swarm of Bats should bypass magic resistance being summons and all but as a consequence they should posses other vulnerabilities.

Swarm of Bats is actually a transformation of a vampire. That is, an innate ability, not a summon. Death spell shouldn't be effective, considering also we are speaking of undeads here.

Is Insect Plague and Swarm of Bats supposed to be treated as a summon? Then why don't cloud abilities destroy them like it does some summons? Or how about the death spell? Insect Plague and Swarm of Bats should bypass magic resistance being summons and all but as a consequence they should posses other vulnerabilities.

Swarm of Bats is actually a transformation of a vampire. That is, an innate ability, not a summon. Death spell shouldn't be effective, considering also we are speaking of undeads here.

Actually, I conceptualise it as a summons. (The logic being (i) PnP vampires have the power to turn into 1 bat - demonstrated in game - but not a swarm of them; (ii) they do have the power to summon bats; (iii) they aren't weakened by creating the swarm). Causing Death Spell to destroy it isn't such a bad idea, though it might be a bit obscure.

Since you cannot affect traveling projectiles in anyway this would imply the use of invisible .cres with a swarm of bats overlay playing on top of them (or summon a large number of .cres with a bat - inside animation).
There's a much easier way to handle this, the one I'm going to use for Spell Revisions V4: use a custom secondary type, and make Death Spell remove it on target. :cringe:

I think I've already said it here, but I do agree with Azure about insects bypassing magic resistance (David already made bats bypass it), and with David about making them affected by Death Spell.

Actually, I conceptualise it as a summons. (The logic being (i) PnP vampires have the power to turn into 1 bat - demonstrated in game - but not a swarm of them; (ii) they do have the power to summon bats; (iii) they aren't weakened by creating the swarm). Causing Death Spell to destroy it isn't such a bad idea, though it might be a bit obscure.

The concept doesn't seem so logic to me. If you want to threat the Swarm of Bats as summons then why would the vampire himself even join in as one more bat? It would be much more practical to call forth the bats and keep the original shape.

I'd rather have the Swarm of Bats being a transformation of the vampire into many bats (a bit of an extension of the PnP concept, granted, but only limited to high level vampires) or make the Swarm of Bats a real summon (and not an hybrid). The first choice being much nicer, I'd think.

The concept doesn't seem so logic to me. If you want to threat the Swarm of Bats as summons then why would the vampire himself even join in as one more bat? It would be much more practical to call forth the bats and keep the original shape.

Which is what actually happens.

Archived