v15 bug reports

Ardanis

Are there no other scripts on those CREs? There's nothing else affecting the SCS script, so it shouldn't matter where the CREs spawn (unless their scripts are area-dependent, which I doubt).

Edit: they apparently have the Aurora random item script, but that shouldn't affect combat. How many of these guys do you encounter at once?

scripts take priority from override to default (with, i think, class - race - general in between). all a SHOUT script usually does is make sure they are Enemy() if they get attacked so that hostile targeting can occur via another script, usually combat-oriented like WTASIGHT.

Well it's odd. All I can think of is some machine setting could be slowing things up.

Chev said in the BGSpawn post that the archers attacked in his game. And he's got both BP and SCS, as well as Aurora and quite a few other mods.

There is one other possibility, something I saw in CA with orcs and complex AI (probably pinched from one of the AI mods). If an orc has a potion it can't use, it will sit there and happily (or unhappily) try to quaff it repeatedly, even if it can't. Thus the combat blocks will never trigger because it'll be stuck on the quaffing block. Stupid orcs. But if you killed them you should've found something like that on them.

Ok, I checked each CRE file from the change log in-game and the problem appears when Smarter General AI gets applied from SCS. There are no potions on the orcs, so that can't be affecting them. Up until now my game has pretty much functioned flawlessly.

The working CRE has scripts: GENSHT01; OARCH02; WTASIGHT.

The Fail CRE scripts: GENSHT01; DW#RANGE

I checked a kobold script and they are identical to Orc scripts, yet they work fine. Curioser and curiouser...

EDIT: I tested a few creatures with the DW#Range script and none of them work! How did I not see this before?

There is one other possibility, something I saw in CA with orcs and complex AI (probably pinched from one of the AI mods). If an orc has a potion it can't use, it will sit there and happily (or unhappily) try to quaff it repeatedly, even if it can't. Thus the combat blocks will never trigger because it'll be stuck on the quaffing block. Stupid orcs. But if you killed them you should've found something like that on them.

SCS doesn't do this. (Potion-drinking checks and sets a timer, so even if a creature tries to use an unusable item, it'll only try once per round.)

Ok, I checked each CRE file from the change log in-game and the problem appears when Smarter General AI gets applied from SCS. There are no potions on the orcs, so that can't be affecting them. Up until now my game has pretty much functioned flawlessly.

The working CRE has scripts: GENSHT01; OARCH02; WTASIGHT.

The Fail CRE scripts: GENSHT01; DW#RANGE

I checked a kobold script and they are identical to Orc scripts, yet they work fine. Curioser and curiouser...

EDIT: I tested a few creatures with the DW#Range script and none of them work! How did I not see this before?

How weird. It works fine on my install. (And on most people's, I assume, or I'd be getting a lot more complaints.) Talk me through your testing regime - how many characters? what do you do?

I CLUAd some creatures who shared the DW#RANGE script. KOBARC01, SKELWA03. They would only come to life once they panicked, never attacking. I then tried all ORC02 files that the Changelog gave me and only the pre-SCS ORC02 would attack.

I am willing to accept this is a local poblem, as it seems to be the case - I guess I should try another install, though I really don't want to! I'll let you know if it's a success.

On another note, I posted this over at the BGSpawn forum, not realising it came from SCS: The Ulcaster Wolf Lord is still able to summon his minions even when silenced. Not a game breaker by any means though.

I CLUAd some creatures who shared the DW#RANGE script. KOBARC01, SKELWA03. They would only come to life once they panicked, never attacking. I then tried all ORC02 files that the Changelog gave me and only the pre-SCS ORC02 would attack.

I am willing to accept this is a local poblem, as it seems to be the case - I guess I should try another install, though I really don't want to! I'll let you know if it's a success.

On another note, I posted this over at the BGSpawn forum, not realising it came from SCS: The Ulcaster Wolf Lord is still able to summon his minions even when silenced. Not a game breaker by any means though.

Could you email dw#range.bcs to david dot wallace at balliol dot ox dot ac dot uk?

OK, your version of DW#RANGE works fine on my computer. The file you actually sent me, though, is called DW#RANGED.bcs, not DW#RANGE.bcs. Did you change the name?

It seems that spellcasters controlled creature (ennemy-ally) cannot attack properly enemy.

But I don't know why :)

I think it has no incidence at all in the game.

But in my mod, I give controlled creature (spellcasters) to the player. With vanilla script : it works good and controlled cre attack all ennemy.

But after installing Smarter mages and priest. My cre have a good new spellbook but don't react at all.

Do you think it could be possible to fix this ?

Ty very much.

It seems that spellcasters controlled creature (ennemy-ally) cannot attack properly enemy.

But I don't know why :)

I think it has no incidence at all in the game.

But in my mod, I give controlled creature (spellcasters) to the player. With vanilla script : it works good and controlled cre attack all ennemy.

But after installing Smarter mages and priest. My cre have a good new spellbook but don't react at all.

Do you think it could be possible to fix this ?

Ty very much.

At a guess, you're using a vanilla game mage script. Those scripts work (badly) when used by friendly creatures. But in SCSII, mages who have one of those scripts get it replaced by an SCSII script, which is designed only for enemy wizards. (I make individual allowance for occasional friendly mages.)

If that's the case, either write your own scripts or get your mod (which I assume is being installed before SCSII) to make copies of whatever scripts your spellcasters use, give the copies a different name, and assign the copies to your spellcasters. That will prevent SCSII from trying to edit the creatures (including changing their spellbooks and scripts).

Ok I will check this. Thank you.

Can you also say to me if melee and archers try to attack Mordenkainen sword with improved AI installed ?

I don't know if I have the last version of SCS II but :

DROW05 have no script for a fighter clerc and a poor equipement. (It is the only fighter clerc drow )

DADROW1 : fighter mage with no equipement. (but 7 APR) He's a neutral drow in ust natha so not so boring but you use this cre for your own fight when party escape Ust Natha

Speaking about drow fighter/mage, I really think there are too much rare. It seems DADROW1, DADROW6 and DADROW 18 are the only drow fighter/mage and are all neutral in Ust Natha (so most of the time you will never fight them)

Strange and sad considering drow chain mail seems to be created especially for this class and drows are the only creature in the game that can be equiped decently.

Maybe add one or two here and here ? :)

Guest Splawheel
When installing "Smarter mages", selecting "Mages only cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat if they are created in sight of the PC", I get the following error:

Input file is scsii/mage/dw#mage.ssl 
attempting to open file scsII/mage/mage_definitions.ssl ...successful!
attempting to open file scsII/mage/magesetup.ssl ...successful!
attempting to open file scsII/mage/generalblocks/rest.ssl ...successful!
attempting to open file scsII/mage/generalblocks/findhidden.ssl ...successful!
attempting to open file scsII/mage/generalblocks/gohostile.ssl ...successful!
attempting to open file scsII/mage/prepblocks/instantprep.ssl ...successful!
attempting to open file scsII/mage/prepblocks/longprep.ssl ...successful!
attempting to open file scsII/mage/prepblocks/longprep_core.ssl ...successful!
attempting to open file scsII/mage/prepblocks/longprep_core.ssl ...successful!
attempting to open file scsII/mage/prepblocks/magetrig.ssl ...successful!
attempting to open file scsii/mage/prepblocks/chaincont.ssl ...successful!
FATAL ERROR (SSL cannot find file requested [scsII/mage/prepblocks/MageTypeContingencyFile.ssl] at line 2124) at scsii/ssl/ssl.pl line 898.
attempting to open file scsII/mage/prepblocks/MageTypeContingencyFile.ssl ...Copying 1 file ...
ERROR: error loading [scsii/mage/ssl_out/dw#mage.baf]
Stopping installation because of error.

Are you running Wine?

I have received this same error message on install with all options for smarter mages not just option 2. I have never heard of Wine and do not believe I'm running it, but I would like to install smarter mages.

As well, I am getting game killing lag in the inventory screen only. I would appreciate help in determining which mod could be at fault. I have SCS II, SR, RR, Song & Silence, Ascension (Oversight, Turnabout, Wheels), DoQuest Pack, BG2 Tweaks, Level1 NPCs, and some NPC and Quest mods (DC, UB, etc.) but no Item changes. The rule tweak mods I also used on Tutu without problems (subbing SCS II for SCS I which is why I'm in this forum). Thanks.

Archived