New Version, DavidW?

It's good to see you've not given up! :) (non-alcoholic with a big plate of your favorite cookies)

As the title says, when can we expect the v.5 you mention here? I'm ready for another adventure in the far north (and more bug reporting). :beer:

I've learned that giving ETAs only gets me into trouble. Sometime between a day or so and a year or so!

It's good to see you've not given up! :beer: (non-alcoholic with a big plate of your favorite cookies)

Just to check: you want me to convert IWD into an entirely different engine, and you're only offering a non-alcoholic drink as reward? This changes everything :)

It's good to see you've not given up! :beer: (non-alcoholic with a big plate of your favorite cookies)

Just to check: you want me to convert IWD into an entirely different engine, and you're only offering a non-alcoholic drink as reward? This changes everything :)

We'll offer you a light beer then!

Oh and can you also make sure it works in GemRB and then fix GemRB so that it supports IWD2 and PST. And create a new 3.5 ed D&D game with GemRB. And fix global warming, its getting irritating.

Guest Guest_grogerson_*

Sorry, but me 'n alcohol got a bad history. Besides, with what you got on your plate here (at G3), you need the clear head. And cookies always go better with milk!

I will send you scotch.

I will send you scotch.

That's more like it.

Guest Guest_grogerson_*
Besides, with what you got on your plate here (at G3), you need the clear head.
One could make the counterargument to that statement that what with everything on his plate, he needs to go out and get blitzed instead. :beer:

So much for my argument :) . Just as long as he doesn't need a new head to replace the old one when he gets back... (and a big thanks for the update on the project, DavidW).

OK, I now have a completed version 5. I'm doing some local testing (not anything like a full test, just a test-run to make sure I don't embarrass myself), then I'll generate an easy-install version and post it. Will probably take a week or two if nothing goes wrong.

Main changes:

- new algorithm to handle exits. The IWD and BG2 engines handle exits differently, so that the map exits were often unuseable in BG2 after "naive" conversion. My first stab at solving this tried a heuristic resizing of the exits, but the testing reports pretty conclusively showed that wasn't working. In the new version, I edit the search map directly to make the exits passable. My testing so far shows that this works pretty well.

- systematic testing and fixing of animations. There were quite a few glitches (mostly just silly errors on my part, but a couple of deeper things) that were leading to weirdness and crashes; I'm now reasonably sure all the animations are okay.

- fixing of the spawn system. I think it now works correctly, or at least less disastrously-wrongly.

- systematic testing and fixing of spells. I've now seen all the (player-castable) spells work correctly. (That doesn't mean they're still working correctly, of course - I may have broken something en route)

- touching up of animations. I've tried (with only partial success, I'll concede) to get my head around the way animations are treated in the two games, so hopefully things look prettier now. In particular, an odd difference in the way the two engines handle area animations meant that most of them weren't displaying properly - now fixed.

- Sorting out of various death variable weirdness. Lots of mismatches between SPRITE_IS_DEADxyz and xyz_DEAD, together with an error in the logic of the code that handles secondary and tertiary death variables, were making many quests break. I think this is all okay now (partially solved by the expedient of changing every xyz_DEAD to SPRITE_IS_DEADxyz)

- Belated recognition and fixing of the hardcoded(!) change from the unlit to the lit forge in upper Dorn's Deep

- Recognition, and (I hope) systematic fixing, of problems caused by the fact that in IWD, closed doors block area transitions, whereas in BG2 they have to be turned off separately

- Sorting out of some problems with cutscenes, caused by imperfections in the translation heuristics (IWD handles cutscenes by scripting commands that don't exist in BG2; I had to introduce cutspies instead)

- thanks to Nythrun, we now do thief Evasion

- lots of little things: proper tooltip displays on magic item abilities, removal of the BG2 death movie (again thanks to Nythrun), Sleep button on the GUI, proper handling of HoW-only games, better area-effect animations for cloud spells, removal of BG2 spells from the game (with an option to put them back, including scrolls)...

I hope that there will be a possibility of launching this mod on polish IWD/BG. If yes, you can count me in as betatester. :3

Well, it should be pretty translation-independent. (There's a couple of dozen strings where I've had to change a spell or item description - and there are probably a couple of dozen more where I should change one but haven't got around to it - but otherwise I just copy the IWD dialog.tlk over. (There may be issues with languages that use dialogf.tlk, because I don't understand how they work.)

So if Polish IWD/BG is just English IWD/BG with different translations, then it should be fine.

OK, I now have a completed version 5. I'm doing some local testing (not anything like a full test, just a test-run to make sure I don't embarrass myself), then I'll generate an easy-install version and post it. Will probably take a week or two if nothing goes wrong.

Just a follow-up, but . . . did something go wrong or just RL?

Just a follow-up, but . . . did something go wrong or just RL?

Just RL, sorry. (More accurately: a couple of minor things to fix, which RL has precluded). Shouldn't be very long but I won't risk an actual estimate!

Archived