Game crashing

Guest Niddhog

Guest Niddhog

I had the game running at a widescreen resolution of 1920/1080, but small areas caused me to crash so I reduced the resolution (via reinstall) down to 1280/something. This worked for that first room that gave me trouble. When I tried to re-enter the midwife/witch's hut in ragpicker (first since using mod) I crashed. I reinstall/reduce the resolution back to original settings and I crash again. Every time. Not sure whats going on : /

Did you start a new game after you set the resolution with Widescreen? It is mandatory if you want to avoid the kind of crash you mention in small areas. If you started a game in standard resolution, than increased it to 1920x1080, all the rooms smaller than 1920x1080 that you already visited will crash. They are stored in the save game, hence there size is lower than 1920x1080 and the game engine does not handle this case. The only way to avoid that is to start a new game (no trace of visited areas in the save game).

The only way to avoid that is to start a new game (no trace of visited areas in the save game).
Is there a way to edit savegames to e.g. remove problematic areas?
Well, guess... and you might want to read the last sentence again... so I quoted it for you.

Are more details available on this anywhere? Is there a way to edit savegames to e.g. remove problematic areas?

What are you trying to achieve? Do you want to reduce the resolution or increase it?

If you plan to reduce it, you can reinstall with a lower resolution. Since version 3.0, you can tell Widescreen to use two different resolutions: one for the display, one (bigger than the first) to set as the "save" resolution, so that the size of areas in the save game are compatible with what you need.

For instance, if you have a desktop computer and a laptop with different resolutions, you can install the game on both with different "display" resolution, and a common "save" resolution, set to the maximum you can get on the two computers. Then you are able to swap save games between the two installations.

So if you want to reduce the resolution, ensure that you set the "save" resolution to the same value as you had previously, so that it matches the resolution in your save games.

This is only for Baldur's Gate and Planescape:Torment. Other games don't need that, and Widescreen doesn't give this option to set the "save" resolution for them. If you get the problem with another game, you probably have a more serious issue.

To answer your question more to the point, I think someone mentionned a way to edit a save game (from Baldur's Gate or Planescape:Torment) to clear the "visited part" of the area, long ago. But it is tedious, and you'd have to do it for all areas in your save game (that means far more than a hundred, if you are far into the game). And I don't remember the details of the procedure and have never tried it.

Archived