IA v6 Final

Regarding the last keyword berelinde, as it pertains to my post, I was of the impression that it is such an ancient and well-known expression (and if one google "arguing on the internet", you get the same picture six (!) times before any text results) that I thought no one would construe it as mocking in any way against disabled people...

Still, apologies to any offended parties.

EDIT: Uhm, hope the link doesn't render this :facepalm: .. feel free to moderate

From what I've encountered so far, I think that an IA 6.0 party should include a sorcerer. Many relevant spell scrolls are very hard to attain in the first chapters, and a Sorcerer's ability to choose of all spells is invaluable. There are extremely powerful new summoning spells, Monster summoning is up to lvl 7, which actually calls for a mighty 19HD level monster (and I mean the improved ones which Sikret created). There is also a great new 8-th spell called Foreknowledge (-4 AC, +1 THAC0&saves, -1 casting speed bonus for 1 turn, works on self only), which comes to a Sorcerer relatively early, while a scroll is available only in late SoA. Another new early spell is Giant Strength (lvl 6), which is also hard to obtain and very good for a party sorcerer.

A Necromancer protagonist is probably one of the best options, because of the extremely good stuff a Necro gets in the Planar Sphere. One of the high-level new spells, Recast Vital Energy, works for a Necro or sorcerer only, but the sorcerer usually fails. However, the Necromancer can greatly benefit from it. He can also summon Skeleton Lord (s) by using the Lord of the Underworld amulet. And of course, if another arcane caster is present in the party, he can always support the Necro with some illusions (like ImprovedInvis).

NO THIEVES. Except a Swashbuckler. But a Swashie doesn't get the UAI anymore. A thief dualled to fighter may seem to be the best option here. All in all, dual-classed characters again have their edge. A Ranger dualled to Cleric is good. Maybe having a pure-class fighter like Kensai is also good. However, picking too many arcane casters barring sorcerers is not that good anymore, since some vital scrolls are very rare, and there won't be enough for all.

A Fighter/Illusionist is unfortunately not so powerful anymore. The saving bonuses of the shorties have been nerfed. Moreover, a multiclass mage doesn't get Improved Alacrity. But I still think that it's a good char. Wild Mages also have been nerfed.

I'm currently running a Berserker of lvl 17 (from BG1+TOTSC), who dualled to Mage at the start of BG2. Solo, of course. Experience and scrolls are hard to obtain though. Practically each xp point is invaluable :cringe: maybe should rethink my xp gaining strategy and then restart :)

About thieves, in my run throughs I've used Nalia as the party's thief but if I were to create a Necro protagonist I'd skip Nalia. But then I'd have a problem getting a well balanced party. My party would probably be something like:

Necromancer protagonist

Sorcerer (later swapped for Immy)

Berserker OR Barbarian OR (less likely) Kensai - using 2 handers

Riskbreaker - incredibly good in v6, dual wielding, they can't specialize in 2 handers IIRC

Valygar - to use all this ranger only stuff, plus he's been buffed

Anomen OR Ranger/Cleric dual OR Berserker/Cleric dual

I count six members. No thief. What to do :cringe:

If I ever get to a no-reload run without using exploits, will definitely make an exception and use an infinite gold exploit just to pay for the reputation loss immediately after turning Valygar to the authorities.

Edit: I think that geh4th can have far better advices on a party composition for a IA newbie. My experience with the mod is 3 days only.

Saros, it sounds like 3 days of really fleshing out a good impression of the new changes if you ask me. I spot some nice comments in your first few posts already.

About thieves, in my run throughs I've used Nalia as the party's thief but if I were to create a Necro protagonist I'd skip Nalia. But then I'd have a problem getting a well balanced party. My party would probably be something like:

Necromancer protagonist

Sorcerer (later swapped for Immy)

Berserker OR Barbarian OR (less likely) Kensai - using 2 handers

Riskbreaker - incredibly good in v6, dual wielding, they can't specialize in 2 handers IIRC

Valygar - to use all this ranger only stuff, plus he's been buffed

Anomen OR Ranger/Cleric dual OR Berserker/Cleric dual

I count six members. No thief. What to do :cringe:

You should be alright if you swap the berserker/barbarian/kensai for a thiefkit dualed to fighter, fighterkit dualed to thief or a swashbuckler. The swashbuckler gets some nice items from what I can see. The only downside is not using all of the spellscrolls/potions and class specific gear.

So bards got the shaft without high level spells and slow level progression? I guess that if the armor still has alacrity it might have been alright, but since that is not the case it will be an unplayed class.

You should be alright if you swap the berserker/barbarian/kensai for a thiefkit dualed to fighter, fighterkit dualed to thief or a swashbuckler. The swashbuckler gets some nice items from what I can see. The only downside is not using all of the spellscrolls/potions and class specific gear.

Yes, a dual thief/fighter is probably viable, although swashbuckler in favor of mentioned warriors isn't all that feasible because 2 handers is something you don't want to skip. I've been thinking instead to ignore thieves and just rely on Knock and poor man's Disable Trap (e.g. let a strong character walk through them). I would probably take Jan sometimes to do some pick pocketing and possibly disarm some traps. Anyone know if Sikret has implemented that no XP for locks and traps in v6? If so, then this is probably the best choice.

But this is maybe a bit too early for speculations as I've got plenty of games to play first; I intend to finish my run with SCSII + Bunch of other mods, just recently bought Fallout: New Vegas and I'm also in the middle of IWD and NWN:SoU+HotU replay runs. And I've also got to use some time for college (that should be my primary concern, hehe... eh... :cringe: ).

Just as a side note, turning Valygar to Tolgeras now results in 18 reputation penalty Still, I will find a way to turn the ranger for the ring .

Sounds like a "Don't do that you damn bastard! I LOVE Valygar!" <lol>

Or it could be a precaution measure, since some people, in attempt to exact vengeance upon certain someone, might turn Valygar just because poor guy has the same face.

Archived