IA v6 Final

By the way, one question about all these people dualing at level 9. The reason I waited until level 15 (and also used a dual F/M to get down to 0 base on that one) was largely for Thac0. At level 9, I was fighting against enemies with like -14 Thac0. A Fighter(9)->Mage is going to have a base Thac0 of 8 (thanks to being a high level *mage*, lol). Subtract 3 from un-nerfed Grandmastery. Best case at 25 STR you can subtract 7. And subtract 5 for a +5 weapon. So you're looking at -7 Thac0, best case. Against a -14 AC enemy, you're hitting 2/3 of the time. Which is decent, but not great. Do you find this sufficient? I mean, Bodhi has -23 AC. Fighters dualled at 9 are only hitting her around 20% of the time.

Check the level progression tables. One of the biggest reasons of dualling at level 9 (besides regaining your fighter levels quickly) is the fact that you still can progress to max mage level of 36 (provided you hit the cap).

I'm personally playing with a 5-person party, Mazzy stacks Invoke Courage abilities in many fights (prebuff with Wishing, if you're not lazy to do it). A B-M can protect those from dispelling via Spell Immunity Abjuration. They last 5 turns. Stack 4-6 of these for 4-6 THAc0 and saves bonus. There is also the spell called Tenser's partial transformation, which sets base THAC0 to 7 for a turn (and for most fights, a turn is what you want, even for the Supreme leader fight if played right and at proper levels). Clerical buffs (most importantly longer-lasting Aid on higher levels) also decrease THAC0.

The B-M is not a fighter-mage primarily - he's simply a pure versatile (unlike a Necromancer or a Sorcerer) arcane caster who again unlike a Necro or Sorc can engage in melee without having to resort to, say, Polymorph self. In many many fights he can not only tank powerful entities, but get rid of some not very strong, but pesky enemies all by himself in the same time (while party's occupied somewhere else with someone else from that group).. But the fact is that you require a second high-leveled mage barring Imoen, and you won't have one if you dual your Berserker at higher levels (too big an xp gap).

The problem of dualling early is in fact not the THAC0 later, but the fewer APR (only 6 with grandmastery and IHaste as opposed to 7 if dualling at level 13+), a bit worse save vs death (not sure about that though, never dualled at level 15), and fewer weapon proficiencies (you have 2 more - fighter levels 12 and 15). APR can be coped for some fights with exploiting the Polymorph Self spell (look above). Saves can be coped via Mazzy/certain items like Periapt of Life Protection. Weapon proficiencies can be coped if you start deploying them early wherever needed, and you'll have grandmastery in Quarterstaves and Halberds at mage level 24.

Even in an infinite xp exploit game, I'd never dual a B-M at a higher than 9th Berserker level. Then again, I'd never pick a B-M for such a run (he's actually most needed for the party to survive up to getting HLAs and to harvest experience/gold in many fights). The R-C can, however, be dualled at Ranger level 16 or even 18 in an infinite xp-exploit game - far better than a R(7)-C. But for a nonexploit game, you have to dual him at the very beginning, since you want him to reach the cap (39 clerical level) also as fast as possible.

The whole reason I went with the dual was for Thac0 and the thing I read about Alacrity not being available for multi-class F/M's. I guess we'll see how it goes... I have both a F/M and a late dual, so I'll see who is more useful soon enough.

Realized I never did the bard stronghold, and it's still available in Ch. 6! Just barely got me enough experience to level the dual, so now he's a very useful Berserker(15)->Mage(16). Switched proficiencies and forged the Poseidon halberd. Have about 230k left, which I'll save for the Vagrant flail that I think I can forge soon (took a peek in NearInfinity a while back for the Defender of Easthaven).

On vacation for a few days without BG (eeek!), so no updates for a while. But when I return, will probably tackle Alhoon and then maybe Bodhi.

Well, had one last moment to get some time in the game. First room of Alhoon's joint, not a problem at all. Eased up with Imoen and just melee'd it. Some fantastic loot in this room: Belt of Inertial Barrier, Belt of 19 STR, Boneblade (not needed but I'll sell it I guess), and a Wish scroll.

The whole reason I went with the dual was for Thac0 and the thing I read about Alacrity not being available for multi-class F/M's. I guess we'll see how it goes... I have both a F/M and a late dual, so I'll see who is more useful soon enough.

Realized I never did the bard stronghold, and it's still available in Ch. 6! Just barely got me enough experience to level the dual, so now he's a very useful Berserker(15)->Mage(16). Switched proficiencies and forged the Poseidon halberd. Have about 230k left, which I'll save for the Vagrant flail that I think I can forge soon (took a peek in NearInfinity a while back for the Defender of Easthaven).

Wanna hear your thoughts on multi F/M. I have my own thoughts about the usefulness of such a character, still wanna hear about your experiences.

Don't save gold yet. You will need to go through the Improved Gith and probably at least one more fight to get the Defender of Easthaven. You probably won't be able to defeat the gith before you complete all of chapter 6 and 7 (well, maybe without Twisted Rune and Orcus). You'll get a lot of extra gold, so it's wise to invest the 230 k right away in some other useful items, like rings +3 if you have nothing else to create. Things to focus on creation are:

Ring of Greater Djinni Summoning as soon as components are found (75 000 gp)

Indigo Ioun Stone (20 000 gp)

Crom Faeyr (naturally, 10 000 gp)

Equalizer sword (7 500, useful for the immunities in certain fights).

Adamantite Horn of valhalla (10 000 gp)

Red Coral Armor (50 or 60 k gp, don't remember, see file)

Green Wyrm Plate (75 000 gp) - the armor itself is a nearly useless item for that party composition, you will still need it for a certain quest...the Good, the bad and the Ugly - where it's required to make a powerful item sacrifice in order to complete the quest. Also, it's good to use it up to that point as main R-C armor.

Boots of the Ranger Lord (125 000 gp)

Girdle of Lordly Might (60 000 gp)

Talisman of Greater Protection (60 000 gp)

In that order of thought, I presume you didn't waste a scroll to create a +3 halberd? Because there can be found one from the "Hard nut to crack" quest thus saving 15k gold and a permanency scroll.

I actually prefer creating as many Boots of Speed and +3 rings as possible with the remaining gold, since those aren't that expensive, but are extremely useful.

All unfinished strongholds are available in chapters 6 and 7.

Well, had one last moment to get some time in the game. First room of Alhoon's joint, not a problem at all. Eased up with Imoen and just melee'd it. Some fantastic loot in this room: Belt of Inertial Barrier, Belt of 19 STR, Boneblade (not needed but I'll sell it I guess), and a Wish scroll.

The Belt of Inertial Barrier and the Belt of Hill Giant Str are in the Item Randomizer menu, you're just lucky for those to be here. Boneblade isn't entirely useless and doesn't yield that much gp when sold.

OK, so I had a moment to tackle Alhoon this morning, and managed it on my first try under a new strategy. Walked in the door with my Chaotic-Commanded, Free-Actioned Auramaster with the boots of speed on. He got pelted by confusions and psionic blasts and a purge magic but was otherwise unscathed, and able to run out thanks to the boots.

Retreated the entire party into the prior room where I hoped to isolate the Greater Elemental Golem. This worked very well - assaulted him with my F/M, Riskbreaker, and F->M. My Vagrant too, but was using the Rifthome for most of this time and forgot it wasn't working :/ One trigger, three sequencers, and 5 casts of Ray of Fragmentation. GEG did get a second purge off but I was able to improved haste back up and keep swinging. Used a few dragon's breaths for the mind flayers who ambled on in. GEG fell, leaving behind three golems that I had been ignoring until that point. Took care of them in a few rounds, leaving Alhoon. Summoned some cannon fodder (Joolon, etc.) to keep him occupied until I saw the Rifthome do some damage, then went in for the kill. Imoen died to brain devouring, but I raised her before Alhoon was dead and so she shared in the experience as well.

I actually don't like the idea of the +3 rings. IIRC, you can't use them in conjunction with other protection items, right? They're really pricy too.

Also the boots of improved haste seem *really* expensive, and I only have one Boots of Speed right now and find it extremely useful for situations like above. Is it really necessary?

Bummer to hear that armor is needed for a quest. I was hoping to not have to pay for any plate upgrades due to my party. I actually think the classical R->C is unnecessary... my Auramaster is doing fine in this role, having access to Chaotic Commands, Free Action, and Death Ward. The only thing I miss is Raise Dead (though I still have 17 or so scrolls of this remaining)... Druids got "Mass Raise Dead" at level 7 in vanilla, I thought.

Interesting, you find Equalizer useful for the immunities. I guess I may as well, it's cheap.

Cromwell is still closed for business, I think I'm bugged on that one.

Regarding halberd +3... I actually had the +2 in my pack and all items needed to make the +3, but I wasn't presented the option by Cromwell for this particular upgrade. So I just did it manually. I know someone in the Valeria party has one, but that fight actually seemed pretty difficult when I played around with it a while back. I have more than enough permanency scrolls to get me through the game (I think), so I figured I'd blow one to get the halberd and let my F->M make an impact right away.

Regarding the Fighter/Mage dual, he's doing pretty well for himself thus far. One major issue is the lack of grandmastery (there's a tweak for this, which really should be allowed/supported, as it's in the same vein as un-nerfed grandmastery). I think ultimately, I'd prefer a dual from 9 or 13, as Thac0 doesn't matter in timestop (but extra attacks do). But he's been a very solid character to have throughout the run.

Kills are approximately:

F/M: 25%

Auramaster: 1%

Vagrant: 25%

Riskbreaker: 47%

Sorceror: 1%

F->M: 1% (but will obviously skyrocket now)

Riskbreakers are just ridiculous. And, looking at experience, I think my Riskbreaker has actually died the least among my party, which is surprising.

OK, so I had a moment to tackle Alhoon this morning, and managed it on my first try under a new strategy. Walked in the door with my Chaotic-Commanded, Free-Actioned Auramaster with the boots of speed on. He got pelted by confusions and psionic blasts and a purge magic but was otherwise unscathed, and able to run out thanks to the boots.

Retreated the entire party into the prior room where I hoped to isolate the Greater Elemental Golem. This worked very well - assaulted him with my F/M, Riskbreaker, and F->M. My Vagrant too, but was using the Rifthome for most of this time and forgot it wasn't working :/ One trigger, three sequencers, and 5 casts of Ray of Fragmentation. GEG did get a second purge off but I was able to improved haste back up and keep swinging. Used a few dragon's breaths for the mind flayers who ambled on in. GEG fell, leaving behind three golems that I had been ignoring until that point. Took care of them in a few rounds, leaving Alhoon. Summoned some cannon fodder (Joolon, etc.) to keep him occupied until I saw the Rifthome do some damage, then went in for the kill. Imoen died to brain devouring, but I raised her before Alhoon was dead and so she shared in the experience as well.

Hmm, I always thought that Ray of Fragmentation doesn't work versus Greater Elemental Golems. Will test vs this particular one to see what happens (it's possible RoF works specifically against him, since he's supposed to be an Elemental Golem at lower levels and unlike other Greater Elemental golems doesn't gate in Amber golems). Otherwise well thought, I always separate Alhoon and the Greater Elemental Golem the same way. Only thing is that you can actually kill all minor flayers, ulitharids and umberhulks in Alhoon's room by luring them to the southern room. All will follow except Alhoon (he has to give his speech before moving or acting, you see, and that happens only if a party member gets in his field of vision).

Alhoon can't deal with a Planetar or other powerful gated summon (Smilodon). Although some summons tend to harm themselves pretty seriously vs his Fireshield, so I advise controlling those summons via Farsight.

I actually don't like the idea of the +3 rings. IIRC, you can't use them in conjunction with other protection items, right? They're really pricy too.

Also the boots of improved haste seem *really* expensive, and I only have one Boots of Speed right now and find it extremely useful for situations like above. Is it really necessary?

Bummer to hear that armor is needed for a quest. I was hoping to not have to pay for any plate upgrades due to my party. I actually think the classical R->C is unnecessary... my Auramaster is doing fine in this role, having access to Chaotic Commands, Free Action, and Death Ward. The only thing I miss is Raise Dead (though I still have 17 or so scrolls of this remaining)... Druids got "Mass Raise Dead" at level 7 in vanilla, I thought.

Interesting, you find Equalizer useful for the immunities. I guess I may as well, it's cheap.

Cromwell is still closed for business, I think I'm bugged on that one.

Regarding halberd +3... I actually had the +2 in my pack and all items needed to make the +3, but I wasn't presented the option by Cromwell for this particular upgrade. So I just did it manually. I know someone in the Valeria party has one, but that fight actually seemed pretty difficult when I played around with it a while back. I have more than enough permanency scrolls to get me through the game (I think), so I figured I'd blow one to get the halberd and let my F->M make an impact right away.

Regarding the Fighter/Mage dual, he's doing pretty well for himself thus far. One major issue is the lack of grandmastery (there's a tweak for this, which really should be allowed/supported, as it's in the same vein as un-nerfed grandmastery). I think ultimately, I'd prefer a dual from 9 or 13, as Thac0 doesn't matter in timestop (but extra attacks do). But he's been a very solid character to have throughout the run.

Kills are approximately:

F/M: 25%

Auramaster: 1%

Vagrant: 25%

Riskbreaker: 47%

Sorceror: 1%

F->M: 1% (but will obviously skyrocket now)

Riskbreakers are just ridiculous. And, looking at experience, I think my Riskbreaker has actually died the least among my party, which is surprising.

Rings +3 are pricy, but really needed. Yeah you cannot wear them together with a magical armor, but they're ideal for some characters (Cernd, Riskbreaker, B-M, F/M). Cernd's improved +4 cloak can be worn together with another high-grade protective item (the cloak itself isn't counted as one, strange as it may seem). High-grade protective items are Rings +3 or higher, Cloaks +3 (but not the Cloak of Arcane Immortality) and any enchanted armor (but not robes).

The boots of the Ranger Lord (or improved Haste) are really expensive and....really essential. Unfortunately. I myself don't like them because of the 2 pairs of Boots of Speed required for their creation. But they have to be forged ASAP for a Vagrant PC. You can delay them a bit if you have a Necro PC with only a R-C as ranger in party.

The Green Wyrm Plate is actually not the only one item "needed" for the quest. But IMO it's not very valuable (compared to other items required as alternatives in this quest) nor very expensive (again, in comparison to the other choices) to forge, so it's the logical choice. Other logical choice is the Holy Avenger sword, but it actually is somewhat more pricy (calculated it costs more than 85 000 gp to forge, including ingredients naturally). So if you're that fond of the Green Wyrm Plate, forge the Holy Avenger for the quest. Don't worry, part of the reward is 125 000 gp.

Strangely as it may seem, the only Halberd +2 that can be upgraded to +3 is not the vanilla unnamed +2 halberd, but rather the named one, "Suryrus' Blade". You can buy one at Adventurer's Mart to test it, otherwise such halberds are found on WK lvl 1 (statues fight), Reviane (Jaheira's harper quest second fight), and Lady Galvena's Festhall (final fight). But you did absolutely the right thing obtaining a +3 one straight away from Valeria's party.

There are some enemies that have a chance to dispel specific protections on hit and apply Confusion at the same time (Elite Planar Hounds). Whisper spiders are also nasty because of their Vexing Whisper. Yeah, the Equalizer is cheap and useful in these situations. Not very good as a weapon naturally.

Cromwell's permanent closure may have to do with your install order, or simply be a bug due to the returning of the Silver Blade.

The Grandmaster for multiclasses tweak can be applied in a correct IA install without harming the mod in any way, except for giving your multiclass fighters a great advantage.

In the Beta version there were instances where Timestop-Melee still worked. However those are unreliable. Most of the time enemies are immune to all weapons under TS. This, however, is not valid for party members, although it should according to Sikret's logic. His logic stated that under TS everybody that is "frozen in time" cannot be harmed by any weapons. However, he implemented that only for the enemies, meaning that entities immune to Timestop (there are quite a lot of them in IA) can kill effectively your frozen in Time characters and summons, while enemies frozen in time will be untouchable for your F-M (provided he cast the spell in the first place).

At a certain point, Riskbreakers become almost impervious to damage and with a great AC. The breaking point is your first Alchemy HLA (around mage level 21), at which moment the RB is already 24 (has 2 Chain Breaker stances, 2 Risk Decrements, several Hardinesses and unlimited number of Alchemy-created Potions of Defense).

Blech, bummer to hear about the timestop nerf.

Why do you feel like the boots of improved haste are a necessity?

Also, what are your thoughts on Warblade's upgrade? It would be for my Berserker(15)->Mage, so physical resistance is irrelevant (as is AC). Backstab, fear and poison immunity don't seem too useful either. So the choice would be between 20% magic resist and +2 STR. That's a solid magic resist figure, but the strength would get me to 20 with that character and may let me use a Strength belt elsewhere.

Blech, bummer to hear about the timestop nerf.

Why do you feel like the boots of improved haste are a necessity?

Also, what are your thoughts on Warblade's upgrade? It would be for my Berserker(15)->Mage, so physical resistance is irrelevant (as is AC). Backstab, fear and poison immunity don't seem too useful either. So the choice would be between 20% magic resist and +2 STR. That's a solid magic resist figure, but the strength would get me to 20 with that character and may let me use a Strength belt elsewhere.

About Boots of Improved Haste - there are battles in which for example starting buffs are dispelled (in which case permanent IHaste helps a lot) or battles in which Improved Haste should be refreshed (and your mages may be preoccupied to do that). It's always good to have permanent IHaste vs dragons, who can easily Remove your pre-buffed one...plus the boots can be upgraded furthermore to give you 1 bonus to AC (more correctly 3 Dex bonus). Trust me on that, it's an essential item if you have even one ranger (or R-C) in the party.

My thoughts on the Warblade upgrade are simple: Don't do it. If you have problems with strength, then you're not using the 6-th level spell, Giant Strenghth, to its full potential. I personally don't use any str-improving belts in SoA and WK except the Girdle of Lordly Might, and it's more because of the HP and AC bonus, and the fact that this belt actually increases your str by 3 rather than setting it to a certain value. It's far better to equip your fighters with protective belts (Girdles of Crushing, Belt of Inertial Barrier, a second Golden Girdle later) and cast Giant Strength on those who require it.

Your B-M shouldn't have too many proficiency points in Two-Handed swords (no grandmastery even on mage level 36), so this means only 5 APR, compared to 7 from Black Blade of Disaster. Lastly, since BBoD isn't eternal and can be dispelled, you can use the Psion's Blade +5 from the Fire Giant mountains or Gram the Sword of Grief from Abazigal. Reason being simple - you only need good slashing weapons for a certain tough fight (Sendai), and those two swords don't require 80 000 gp to forge unlike Warlord's blade.

Warlord's Blade +5 (physical resistances) is good for a two-handed weapon user like a Barbarian for example, and extremely powerful in the hands of an Assassin->Fighter dual (who is very hard to keep alive at lower levels, but it's possible to bring him to HLA in both classes, note that once UAI is picked, it remains active even while Assassin class is inactive after dualing). Although on Core it may prove a difference even in the hands of a Kensai...

I see, makes sense. Still, *really* pricey for those boots. Are you responding within the context of your infinite gold games?

For Warblade, I guess you're right. The limited duration of Giant Strength turns me off (plus my low levels of my mages, at the moment), so I haven't used it much. I didn't burn a spot on my sorceror with it (currently only 3 slots used, Death Fog, Improved Haste, Protection from Magical Energy), but I'm running out of interesting spells at this level, so might go with Giant Strength/True Sight/PFMW, two of those remaining three. It just feels like most battles last longer than 2 turns...

And yes, I think Gram is probably what I'll go with, for my slashing damage, in the late game.

My next proficiency point will get me to ** in qstaff and two-handed sword, ***** in halberd, and * in two-handed style, and I won't be able to get anything else up to *****.

I see, makes sense. Still, *really* pricey for those boots. Are you responding within the context of your infinite gold games?

For Warblade, I guess you're right. The limited duration of Giant Strength turns me off (plus my low levels of my mages, at the moment), so I haven't used it much. I didn't burn a spot on my sorceror with it (currently only 3 slots used, Death Fog, Improved Haste, Protection from Magical Energy), but I'm running out of interesting spells at this level, so might go with Giant Strength/True Sight/PFMW, two of those remaining three. It just feels like most battles last longer than 2 turns...

And yes, I think Gram is probably what I'll go with, for my slashing damage, in the late game.

My next proficiency point will get me to ** in qstaff and two-handed sword, ***** in halberd, and * in two-handed style, and I won't be able to get anything else up to *****.

About the boots - no, I'm talking about a game without unlimited exploits. There is still enough gold for these boots, and they're really important. Expensive items are always extremely important (rings +3 and +4, boots of ranger lord, poseidon's wrath, etc).

The limited duration of Giant Strength is absolutely sufficient for almost all fights, since the main battle should be solved in the first turn almost every time. And for those few battles that turn out to be longer, you'd either have the opportunity to calmly refresh Giant Strength (with the right tactic) or simply will resort to your good supply of Giant Strength potions. Anyway, there are several items which grant Giant-type str (not belts) - Phosphorous, Crom Faeyr.

For a sorcerer's spell picks, I consider Death Fog to be one of the most useless spells ever. Usually, almost all IA enemies are immune to cloud-type effects (Cloudkill, Incendiary Cloud, Death Fog). Second, remember what I told you about planning? You need specific set of spell picks with a sorcerer, and those are: Improved Haste, PFMW, Chain Lightning and Contingency, other is optional but I prefer GoI. PFME is a total waste provided you have versatile arcane casters to apply it (also, one of the Wish options is mass PFME in IA v6). My first socreress picks are: Improved Haste, PFMW, and then I usually have a big dilemma between Chain Lightning and GoI.

Giant strength is a wasted pick for a sorcerer if you have another arcane caster in the party (and you do). Unfortunately, since you dualled your B-M late, he won't be able to cast Giant Strength at full potential (you really need mage level 20 here).

Dualling at late Berserker level also messed up your proficiencies, since the goal is to actually reach ***** in Quarterstaves ASAP. Very important for certain tough fights, where Skeleton Grandlords are abundant.

What's so great about Chain Lightning? I assumed Death Fog would be equally disruptive, if not moreso, for lich-types, but sounds like I was wrong.

If GOI and Chain Lightning are a dilemma, surely that indicates that neither is truly necessary. I must say I've never actually cast GOI in my entire BG2 career. You mentioned it blocking Slow, what else? Saves are almost a non-issue at this point, so Emotion isn't too troublesome. I can't think offhand of any other low-level spells that get cast all that frequently.

Also, why Contingency?

I do still have a F/M and a Vagrant specialized in crushing, plus a Riskbreaker with GM in crushing, and all three have (or will shortly have) a base Thac0 of zero. So losing two swings per round (GM under improved haste) will be a bummer, but I should still have some reasonable firepower.

Chain Lightning works on Liches (Spell disruption, they are immune to cloud-type spells), does decent damage and very few creatures are immune to it.

GoI - it's 6th lvl Spell protection. There are lots of nasty stuff it blocks - Fireballs, Malisons etc. + it buys you 1 extra round enemies must cast Ruby Ray to remove your SI.

Contingency I'd cast from scrolls. It is a useful spell, however.

Riskbreaker counts as 1 + 1/2 fighters, so you'll do fine.

P.S.

If you are planning on finishing Vagrant specific quest in Suldanesselar, you do need boots of imp.haste. It's not optional, it's a must have. Otherwise feel free to skip them imo. Not worth the money.

What's so great about Chain Lightning? I assumed Death Fog would be equally disruptive, if not moreso, for lich-types, but sounds like I was wrong.

If GOI and Chain Lightning are a dilemma, surely that indicates that neither is truly necessary. I must say I've never actually cast GOI in my entire BG2 career. You mentioned it blocking Slow, what else? Saves are almost a non-issue at this point, so Emotion isn't too troublesome. I can't think offhand of any other low-level spells that get cast all that frequently.

Also, why Contingency?

I do still have a F/M and a Vagrant specialized in crushing, plus a Riskbreaker with GM in crushing, and all three have (or will shortly have) a base Thac0 of zero. So losing two swings per round (GM under improved haste) will be a bummer, but I should still have some reasonable firepower.

As I said, all cloud-disruption strategies are blocked in IA. Death fog can be effective at killing summons, but Death Spell (especially from Vhailor's helm) is far more effective at tha, and party-friendly.

About Chain Lightning, I can't say I'm astounded by the damage, but on level 20 it's like a party-friendly lightning bolt that hits many enemies around you. But I rarely use it. It's specifically important for a couple of hard fights (Improved Gith, Yaga-Shura). You won't be able to win consistently vs the Improved Gith without it (although you still might steal a wih one out of four fights).

In IA, enemies try to remove your Spell Immunity Abjuration with the only spell available, Ruby Ray of Reversal. However RRR first dispels the highest protection available, and there are two of these higher than SI: Spell Turning and Globe of Invulnerability. And as kreso stated, GoI blocks Greater Malison, Emotion, Confusion, Slow (even Stone Golem slow). It can also block your own 4-th level spells effectively (for example, I usually kill Chroma with multiple Ice Storms, and you need your mage to be able to keep on casting when the screen is filled with boulders of ice - again GoI).

Emotion by itself is not a problem, but a sequencer of Greater Malison-Emotion-Confusion is. And liches have such a sequencer..

Contingency is for a couple of fights when you won't be able to cast spells normally - vs Saladrex and vs the Hybrid Tiefling. Although vs the latter on lower levels of experience the only sound option is Chain Contingency instead. Of course, you can just reload until the wild magic zone in there gives you a Spell Cast Normally message.... but this is not a strategy in my book. Also, Contingency gives you one extra 6-th level spell (usually) for the tougher fights. Plus, if you intend to fight some battles as they "should" be (the Oasis fight) you'll need every Contingency type spell you can get your hands on.

Plus, if your mage is under the effect of Greater or Grave Silence, he still will be able to cast Contingency or Chain Contingency - all other spells will be blocked, scrolls and special abilities too.

About fighter power - I think it's sufficient.

Edit: About the Boots of IHaste - I may be thinking solely no-reload wise when saying they're essential. If you reload, then probably they aren't as much. And stay out of that Vagrant-specific quest in Suldanesselar. Very small reward (xp and item-wise), very big a challenge. It's not even fun.

Guarded Compound not too bad. Played around with letting the GEG do all of his summons, but couldn't handle it, so just went all out on him and then mopped up the 4 or 5 guys that spawned during this time. Ray of Fragmentation indeed does not work on the GEG. Rod of Smiting, however, is usable by a fighter-&--#62;mage dual, which is wonderful. On the other hand, it was doing less damage than Poseidon for some reason... will test further.

Valeria was still a little annoying, but managed it on my third try or so. Contrary to other threads, I found the melee guys to be the most threatening (largely due Poison and APR), so I took care of them first.

The Avatar guy at the pool was a joke, just Improved Haste and whacked at him until he dropped. Got the "magical pull" and then the ruby of the gods.

To-do list, off the top of my head:

- Fighter stronghold completion (I may have missed this... got a message that I "just missed Lord Roenall" but that I'd be alerted if he returned

- Paladin extended stronghold

- Ranger/vagrant quests (good/bad/ugly, shimmering light)

- Orcus

- Supreme leader

- Ghoul city

Ghoul City seems like it might be easiest, so I could try that next. I have no idea how to find and begin those ranger quests.

Archived